Quantcast

Recommend me a steel HT

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
If it bends, you can always straighten it out – or get another one welded on!
I know on my BREW that the hanger is brazed on so if it breaks all you need to do is heat it up and take it off and then braze a new one on. Much less invasive than cutting and welding.

btw -- bent the crap out of it. Bent it back using a big cresent and still working fine.

Do they still make those breakable derailer bolts?

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Wow, that Cro-Mag is Really nice!

I'm glad you guys like the Mustang. The first production run wil be ready around Christmas. Singlespeed completes will be available at around $1500 and an X7 complete should be around $1700. Frames will retail for $800 with one set of dropouts (fixed or SS). Additional drops will be about $75 or so. After swapping from the 63mm Sid to a 100mm Reba I am really enjoying pushing the bike to the absolute limits on the descents. We designed the bike around a 4" travel fork, but I am oldschool enough that I wanted to try it out first at my old 71.5degree favorite.

Bikebro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2005
Fisher has a new steel hardtail out in 2007 called the Ferrous. Its True Temper tubing with an eccentric BB and a replaceable der hanger. Comes in both a 26 and 29" version for under 2k complete. Sorry for the big pics but I can't seem to shrink them.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm liking both the Chromag and the Sinister a lot. Problem is that I want to try 29. The enticing thing about the Fisher is I work at a Fisher shop so I could get it kinda cheap. I can also get a Monocog dirt cheap. I've got some choices but it looks like 29 is where I'm going.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Yep, both are orange and made of steel tubes! Totally the same!

(not sure if you were insinuating that they came out of the same factory or something...check the tube intersections and cable routing...)

Werd! and that nashbar bike's replaceable der hanger is slightly harder to replace!:brow:

Xterradork

Chimp
Sep 11, 2006
:cheers:
Yep, both are orange and made of steel tubes! Totally the same!

(not sure if you were insinuating that they came out of the same factory or something...check the tube intersections and cable routing...)

No I was attempting to be funny, sorry didn't come across right.

The Fisher is sweet. I just don't see Orange, steel frames very often.
But then again, I don't look hard for them.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Bump since (much) later I'm going through this topic again.

Acadian, did you end up with your Chromag? If so, how do you like it for its intended use?

I'm sort of debating a steel bike (like the Chromag) for substantially more money, or a Stumpjumper Comp HT through my EP. I need to start training, and who knows, I may end up doing some racing.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Bump since (much) later I'm going through this topic again.

Acadian, did you end up with your Chromag? If so, how do you like it for its intended use?

I'm sort of debating a steel bike (like the Chromag) for substantially more money, or a Stumpjumper Comp HT through my EP. I need to start training, and who knows, I may end up doing some racing.
yeah I love my Chromag - best HT I've owned. Very stoked about it.