Quantcast

Recommend Some Books For Me To Read!!

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Must read more books...

What have you guys read that is worth reading?
Doesn't have to be new or anything..

I haven't read any horror or suspense books lately...any good ones to check out?

But just throw out anything..

Thanks!!

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
A Fascinating Work of Extraordinary Genius
-Dave Eggers

Ender's Game
-???

The Exorcist (I didn't know it was a book, but I've been told it's just as freaky as the movie)
-???

Some of my favorites:

-Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
-Anything by Hunter S. Thompson
-Anything by Tom Robbins
-The Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Sorry - no horror in my library (Thompson excepted).

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ
reflux said:
-Dave Eggers

Ender's Game
-???

The Exorcist (I didn't know it was a book, but I've been told it's just as freaky as the movie)
-???
... A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius.
-Dave Eggers
The title is hokey but crack it open and everything will make sense.

Lullaby
-Chuck Palahniuk
Author of Fight Club and one of the most twisted minds in literature.

Vernon God Little
-DBC Pierre
My personal fave.

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
reflux said:
-Dave Eggers

Ender's Game
-???

-???
I second Enders Game - Orson Scott Card and the 6 books that follow.

Also if your into sci fi horror
House of Doors by Brian Lumley

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
The Lance Armstrong books are great but I dont know if you want to read about him and cycling. Catch-22 is pretty good also. If you have never read or seen To Kill a Mockingbird I suggest that also but it is easy reading. If you like sports (high school football) Friday Night Lights is good and I can't wait for the movie.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
I third Ender's Game, as well as Ender's Shadow. I just finished that.

The Power of One... not sure who it's by... is also really good, though it's not as suspensful as some books. It's a good story about a South African boy who gets drawn into boxing. There's lots of underlying stuff, but I won't go into that.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Anything by Kurt Vonnegut,

Anything by C.S. Lewis

Dang, there are so many...

Charles De Lint for Fantasy (Tolkien is too easy and you should have read his stuff already)

Dickens for a classical kind of depression.

Dylan Thomas for poetry

And many others...

arsenic

Monkey
May 9, 2004
springfield, va
i'll give a second to the necroscope series. lumley has a wicked mind lol.
steven king is always good. last one i read was a while ago... geralds game. it's a nice little story about being cuffed to your bed. and trying to get out of the cuffs by yourself :)

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Craw said:
Must read more books...

I haven't read any horror or suspense books lately...any good ones to check out?

Thanks!!
Ever read any John Grisham (wrote "The Firm", "Pelican Brief", "Runaway Jury", etc.)? I just finished his latest "bleachers" - a little more fluff than some of his other stuff, but worth the 3 hours it takes to read it... PM me your adress if you want it - Ill send it out to ya...

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
arsenic said:
i'll give a second to the necroscope series. lumley has a wicked mind lol.

Hell yeah! I think I'm going to change my screen name from MMike to Shaitan... I read the first 10 books. (5 Necroscopes, the 3 with the Last Aerie, and the two that cover the ground in between). But I never did read the latest ones...Defilers....or whatever it was called....when Ben Trask is the man...

henrymiller

Monkey
May 4, 2002
Denver-A-Go-Go
<-----------------------------------

Can't think of a good author, :evil:

ULYSSES by James Joyce

LOLITA by Vladimir Nabokov

BRAVE NEW WORLD by Aldous Huxley

1984 by George Orwell

LORD OF THE FLIES by William Golding

TROPIC OF CANCER by Henry Miller

SOPHIE'S CHOICE by William Styron

etc...

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan

Anything by Orsen Scott Card

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller <-------------- one of the best books ever written

anything by Vonnegut

The Davinci Code and Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

A song of ice and fire series, by George R. R. Martin

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
http://members.tripod.com/~NightsDawn/
go on amazon to read more and get prices, its a 6 book trilogy 3 parts devided into 2 books each.
This is the most outrageosly complex and indepth reading I've ever done, and dont think there is another series that can top it as far as character / setting development, technical complexity (not to mention, all of the technicalities are based on a progressive evolution of current technology and know science) Its way long, badass as anything, and the most griping and imersive story i have ever heard (that includes, books, movies, plays, opera, bedtime stories........) i would often sit down an read this, take a break, and reach for the tv remote when i was about to start reading again, thinking i was watching something, thats how good of a picture this guy's writing paints. that catch is, there are over 4000 pages to read before the story is over, and without the "federation handbook" (a 300 or so page handbook that explains alot of what you would otherwise surmise while reading the book) you will spend the better part of the first book trying to keep your brain from turning to mush. while reading, have the internet handy, as lots of the confusing technologies and phenomena have theoretical literature about them online. there is also a 400 or so page book full of short stories based in the "universe" the book draws up, that can get you into the swing of the books very well before you start reading

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
reflux said:
Ender's Game
-???
five points for the recommendation, minus five for not knowing it's by Orson Scott Card :)

gastrocnemius said:
-Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.
:thumb:

CrAckErKorEan said:
I second Enders Game - Orson Scott Card and the 6 books that follow.
Gonna disagree with ya. Like most of OSC's books, he fades. The last one was weak. But the first few books in any of his series are great. Ender is simply a brilliant read.

Craw, next time, please be more vague :blah:

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
"A Walk in the Woods" -Bill Bryson

Funniest ****ing book I have ever read. My dad and my grandpa think the exact same thing. I am now reading it again...

You MUST read this.

Katz is the man.

-dAn

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Founding Brothers by Joseph Ellis
A different perspective of the beginnings of the transition from revolution to country.

John Adams by David McCullough
A biography of the most under appreciated of all our presidents. An excellent read.

And so as not to overload your brain any Clive Cussler novel. Night Probe, Vixen 03 and Sahara are simply fun books that don't make you think alot.

bigginsis

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
standing at the edge of reason
-American Gods by Neil Gaiman (he of the Sandman comic series)
-Absolutely American by David Lipsky (about West Point but I can't put it down)
-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach (non-fiction about bodies donated to science; kind of gory but fascinating)
-Hemingway on Fishing (need I say more?)
Oh and Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (the guy who wrote mystic river) is a total mind-bender

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Craw said:
Must read more books...

Thanks!!

are you into non fiction at all? thats all i read anymore. im reading a really good book called " a different mirror" by ronald takaki. its a multi cultural history of the US. kind of tells what the history books leave out. its good so far. pretty long.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
read _atonement_ from ian mcewan. excellent book.

i recall really liking _the foundation trilogy_ from isaac asimov as well, but haven't read it in a while.

any HST is worth a mention; try the great white shark hunt 1st, as it's an anthology.

one of my life goals is to finish _gravity's rainbow_ but i think i gotta wait until the kids get older and i get a bit more uninterrupted time in the evenings.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
If you like to be entertained by 1 mans philisophical tripped out journey check out Carlos Catenada's Journey to Ixtlan... I was pretty entertained by that book.

My ex-GF had me reading this novel called Jitterbug perfume, phuking hilarious, deep, insane, and highly entertaining. Any book by that guy, Tom Robbins, is probably really good.

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
damn, there are a lot of book recommendations here to look at! This is great!

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Craw said:
Have you read the Dark Tower series by Stephen King? Hands down his best story (although I haven't read The Stand, so I can't comment on that). The series is up to book 6 with one more coming. I've only read the first 4, but will be picking up books 5 and 6 soon.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Try "The Goal" by Eli Goldratt for a different perspective on economics and business.

I liked Lance's book "It's Not About the Bike" or whatever it's called too.

Since those are the only two books I've read for pleasure in the last 10 years or so that's all I can reccomend.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk
Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk
Life of Pi
Death of Vishnu
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson
Rum Diaries- Hunter S. Thompson
Heartbreaking Work of A Staggering Genius
the Trial- Franz Kafka

I have heard that these books are really good-
House of Leaves
Chemical Pink

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
I really loved Daniell Quinn's Ishmael trilogy:

- Ishmael
- My Ishmael
- The Story of B

They were awesome books that really open your eyes...if you can get past the whole gorilla thing in the first two books :) . Very insightful and quick reads.

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates - Tom Robbins
A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole

Both hilarious reads... the second one has a weird, true, but sad story behind it. The guy couldn't get it published after he wrote it, committed suicide a few years later. His mother finally got the book published and it won the Pulitzer prize.... DOH!

fanatical

Chimp
May 23, 2004
NJ
"Not Fade Away" by Laurence Shames and Peter Barton.

One of the best books I've ever read. One reviewer put it best "a book about how to live, and how to die." It’s a gut-wrenching book, but well worth reading.

"In Search of Captain Zero" by Allan C. Weisbecker

This is a pretty cool book about surfing. It might not be a barn burner for most people but if you like to travel and have an adventurous side you'll like this.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
LeRoy said:
... A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius.

Lullaby
-Chuck Palahniuk
Author of Fight Club and one of the most twisted minds in literature.

Great book! I liked Choke better where this guy gets out of having a nine to five by pretending to choke in expensive restaurants and has people "save" his life. He justifies it by explaining that they are paying him by making themselves feel better about themselves. It's great. I could go on.....

All of his stuff is good / funny and intellectual.