Quantcast

Recycling tubes?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
It is thorn season here in the SoCal desert...I am going through tubes like they were beer. I have used 12 in the last 2 weeks...every time I ride it costs me $10 in tubes.
I have a pile in my garage, because the hippy in me wont throw them out.
Anyone know a place I can send them to be recycled??

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Specialized was organizing a rubber recycling program, but I think they gave up.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I am thinking about sealant...but they arent working on the fraus jog stroller, why would they work for me?
We have these stupid buck thorn/goat head thorns here. They drive my dogs and me nuts. They didnt seem to be here last fall...
I have never been able to make patches work, even in my roadie days.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I am thinking about sealant...but they arent working on the fraus jog stroller, why would they work for me?
We have these stupid buck thorn/goat head thorns here. They drive my dogs and me nuts. They didnt seem to be here last fall...

I never had much luck with the Slime Tubes, but I haven't had a flat in years using the Specialized AirLocks(mine also have removable cores so they could be refilled). We don't have the big thorns but lots of greenbriar(Smilax species).

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I never had much luck with the Slime Tubes, but I haven't had a flat in years using the Specialized AirLocks(mine also have removable cores so they could be refilled). We don't have the big thorns but lots of greenbriar(Smilax species).
I second the specialized airlocks. I ran over a prickly pear cactus during the 24HTOP a couple of years ago, pulled out the large needles and it sealed instantly, didn't even have to add air.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Well get somebody to show you how to patch - Its really easy.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
That's a good question for those living in thorny areas. What's better, slime/airlock tubes or Stan's?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Are these the little thorns that have multiple spikey ends? (I *hate* those ones)

Where are you getting them? Road or trail?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Yup, I have been calling them buck thorns, but my buddy (born and bred local...) says the term is goats head. ANy way they lie they will get you, like a caltrop.
I get them on the mountain bike, but only because thats all I have these days...they are all over.

Dangerous E

Monkey
May 24, 2006
Coorstown, CO
You gotta run tubeless holmes. Even a ghetto tubeless setup would work just fine. For the cost of two bmx tubes and bottle of Stan's Juice you could be flat free in no time. Serious. It's wicked easy. Run a search on here and you'll find some links on how to do it...

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Tubeless mang. I ran through a lot infested with goat-heads and could barely see my tire. I pulled each one out, watched my tire 'sweat' as Stans did its thing and POW, street session continued.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Joe, those tires are bigger than what I run on my car...

I am a XC/Singlespeed weenie, no DH for me. Those guys go too fast and break to much **** when you crash.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
tire balls!

edit: eh, those probably wouldn't help anyway. You would end up with 15 flat tire balls.

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Been runnning WTB Velociraptor Races on the M4 and the 8000, and Fire XCs on the SS...40-45 psi...
I dont go bigger than 2.0s. Yep, I like 'em little.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I run Maxxis CrossMark and ADvantages on my XC bike (2.1), and have had great luck with them (1 flat in 4 months of riding). The Crossmark is very thin (as is the Panaracer Fire XC Pro, which I ran years ago), but then again I'm sure the Northeast isn't nearly as thorn-infested as So. Cal....We mainly just worry about jagged rock/pinch flats.

I would maybe try going with a 2 ply tire if you can find one that isn't too heavy for your liking. Tires like the CrossMark, Fire XC, etc. are REALLY thin, and tend to have very low tread profiles (typical race XC tires), which may not be the best choice if you aren't terribly concerned about weight/rolling resistance. If it means a bit more weight and slightly more aggressive tread but 1/10th the tube changes, it might be worth looking into.

Although I must say I'm surprised by the Velociraptor flats.....Are the races significantly different than the standard Velociraptors? I ran the regular ones (2.1s) about 5-6 years ago and remember them being fairly thick (both tread and sidewalls).

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
The 'Raptors are nice and fat...the thorns are that nasty. Surpisingly, the Fires have given me the least trouble. Maybe because of the difference in where I ride SS v. where I ride the gearies...

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
If you dont like the slime tires or the stans, the thing that that really stopped the goat heads for me when i was out in cali were the kevlar spike strips that you run between the tube and the tire. Less messy than slime for sure and they really did work. run both and you'll never flat again but your wheels will weigh 12lbs each.