Quantcast

Redbull Rampage 2023

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Build a lip at the bottom and hit it 3rd maybe 4th and jump up it on the MX....could be a good-sized half pipe there as well.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I blame you you.
I'll fall on that sword.

No really, I love the event and have been there several times. I will absolutely watch it live this year but man it's just terrifying. Already too much conversation on the subject to even bring it (up the ethics of it). It's guys pushing the sport in the way they want to but it does freak me out.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
You think they're finally going to go to tutus and an obligatory program?

Judge how well someone pointed their toes?
Its Rampage. The scores were decided when the invites went out. The judges are only there to eat pizza and absorb the wrath of the peasants.

dughead

Chimp
Feb 3, 2020
Definitely one of the hardest slams I've seen.

I think I'd probably be calling it a day if I were him. At least for this kind of event, and the sort of riding he does for his films.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'll fall on that sword.

No really, I love the event and have been there several times. I will absolutely watch it live this year but man it's just terrifying. Already too much conversation on the subject to even bring it (up the ethics of it). It's guys pushing the sport in the way they want to but it does freak me out.
On the other hand, have you listened to the Pinkbike podcast about women in Rampage?

They want to join and push the same boundaries. They also discussed that they way rampage is dug by the riders and whatnot, it's actually relatively "safe". Shit still happens, like today, but yeah.. it was an interesting listen.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
aight so i finally watched this

the fact that you can see the entirety of the landing from the lip just shows that gee doesn't understand one of the important two velocity vectors of how a gigantic fucking drop works

that impact was going to be brutal

Which is ironic because in another rampage he setup the exact opposite on a huge ass left hip a bunch of canadian hUkKrZ setup with a similar layout. He built another that better sent him over to the landing and not at it like team beaver. I remember this because him doing so was evidence he knew this shit. (the one all the marzocchis broke on for your historians)

sheeit, hope his organs still work in a week

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You realise he'd already done the drop successfully and this time apparently the wind was a factor?

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'll fall on that sword.

A big issue is having the event many times in the same place which means people want to one up past years lines or need to find new spots for themselves if they didn't ride before. Sure part of it is progression but this also affects how crazy the lines get.

@Gary where did you get that info? One of the diggers IG? Not doubting just wanted to follow this.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
On the other hand, have you listened to the Pinkbike podcast about women in Rampage?

They want to join and push the same boundaries. They also discussed that they way rampage is dug by the riders and whatnot, it's actually relatively "safe". Shit still happens, like today, but yeah.. it was an interesting listen.
After watching the latest INTO THE GNAR yesterday I don't think that is the best move.....

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@norbar the first report I read yesterday. At work just now or I'd try n find it for you.

Regards Woo's comment. I'm not saying he's wrong. Afterall Gee has a fairly long string of previous fuck ups getting his speed wrong for massively consequential gaps n jumps on unfamiliar terrain. Hope he makes a full recovery but also hope the dude finally settles down.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
After watching the latest INTO THE GNAR yesterday I don't think that is the best move.....
I haven't watched that yet, but based on other tour de gnar videos I've seen, thats not at the same level of refinement and safety as Rampage.

Also some of those people, dudes included, are literally just chucking themselves at the features. Like the video of Max Grayston doing that gap to rock to gap thing. Dude is obviously a very talented rider, but the way he launched that thing, he was inches from clearing the entire rock and landing in the middle of the second gap; that would have been catastrophic. Then you see Yoann and Remy do it in a much smoother, calculated and exacting way.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I haven't watched that yet, but based on other tour de gnar videos I've seen, thats not at the same level of refinement and safety as Rampage.

Also some of those people, dudes included, are literally just chucking themselves at the features. Like the video of Max Grayston doing that gap to rock to gap thing. Dude is obviously a very talented rider, but the way he launched that thing, he was inches from clearing the entire rock and landing in the middle of the second gap; that would have been catastrophic. Then you see Yoann and Remy do it in a much smoother, calculated and exacting way.
Yeah, I watched the latest one and was pretty disgusted. About half the guys were just hucking stuff and landing uncontrollably. Clearly over their heads. Not to mention it was a group of like 30 riders + all the groupies & media types. It seemed like totally contrary to what, for example, Remi & Steve V. talk about in their videos about only hitting big stuff if they're 100% confident they can do it safely. It's amazing that only 1 person was ambulanced out. And then on top of it, they end the video with a plea to donate to medical bills for one of the kids who was there and suffered spinal cord injuries a couple weeks later. Goddamnit, stop promoting riding above abilities - there are life changing/ending consequences to that shit!