Quantcast

Remember that time I installed an external bearing BB without facing?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
loco said:
Me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me

:rolleyes:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
loco said:
Wrong - but thank you for capitalizing the first me.
What do you mean "wrong"?

Every goddamn thread you make an appearance in turns into a Loco persecution fest. Even in a thread about BOTTOM BRACKETS.

Give it a rest dude.

J

JRB

H8R said:
What do you mean "wrong"?

Every goddamn thread you make an appearance in turns into a Loco persecution fest. Even in a thread about BOTTOM BRACKETS.

Give it a rest dude.
Yeah - EVERY thread turns out that way. You do realize that you are contributing to making it about me. I think you should read the course of events that took place.

J

JRB

Here is some valuable insight from Westy in the thread Wumpus linked.

Westy said:
I'm turning over a new leaf, notice how I didn't try to insult you.

:help:

J

JRB

BurlyShirley said:
WTF happened to a half-decent biking thread? Oh right. That's the lounge for you :rolleyes:
We did establish the merits of facing the shell. Now - order yourself a deux or atlas BB and get to work.

edit - get the ano blue one. It'll look cool on your frame.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
loco said:
We did establish the merits of facing the shell. Now - order yourself a deux or atlas BB and get to work.

edit - get the ano blue one. It'll look cool on your frame.
There is a new LBS in town. They are a santa cruz dealer. Im going to give them the benefit of the doubt and actually order some parts through them and let them install everything. We'll see how that goes. If its good...I may let them completely overhaul my bike before my moab/colorado trip. Ill keep you updated...

J

JRB

Cool - make sure you post up about the shop. There are lots of folks that complain about shops in Nashville, it seems. I have seen it here, mtbr, and mojo. I really would go with RF, but I think any of them will work.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BurlyShirley said:
There is a new LBS in town. They are a santa cruz dealer. Im going to give them the benefit of the doubt and actually order some parts through them and let them install everything. We'll see how that goes. If its good...I may let them completely overhaul my bike before my moab/colorado trip. Ill keep you updated...

My $.02 (as an ex-shop mechanic here..)

Go to an old LBS that you trust, (if there is one). BB's are BB's, it doesn't matter if they are a SC dealer or not.

Only let a seasoned wrench near a frame with cutting/facing tools.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
H8R said:
My $.02 (as an ex-shop mechanic here..)

Go to an old LBS that you trust, (if there is one). BB's are BB's, it doesn't matter if they are a SC dealer or not.

Only let a seasoned wrench near a frame with cutting/facing tools.
I dont trust ANY of them now. If these guys **** it up, they'll be giving me a new SC frame.

J

JRB

BurlyShirley said:
I dont trust ANY of them now. If these guys **** it up, they'll be giving me a new SC frame.
Cool - you can get a Nomad or a VPP Free since Bullits are dead. :(

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
loco said:
Cool - you can get a Nomad or a VPP Free since Bullits are dead. :(
The bike I have is seriously brand new. The dude who sold it to me must have a meth habit or something...

J

JRB

BurlyShirley said:
The bike I have is seriously brand new. The dude who sold it to me must have a meth habit or something...
yea - I was considering it very seriously. Glad you got it though. It looks friggin' great. I was scared there was a dent, but I couldn't really tell. If I could have seen it, I would have likely bought it. Glad I got the Reign though.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BurlyShirley said:
Word.

I trust myself and maybe one or two other mechanics in all of the bay area with frame prep tools. I've seen some horrors in shops where there are young mechanics...

J

JRB

It horrifies me, H8R. That is the source of my opposition in facing.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
loco said:
Ahhh...

Now I see. I can understand this argument, totally. Why get heart surgery from a quack doctor?!

"Nurse, have you seen my watch?"

:help:

J

JRB

I have held a bottle of Golden Spectro oil in my hand, with the shops SKU on it, while arguing that the shop actually sells it. He says no. I say yes. I point to the SKU, he still says no. I just can't see giving him a sharp tool to rob the life blood from my bike. :dead:

Not many folks are blessed with GREAT shops.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
loco said:
Interesting. Yeah it sucks that shops shell out (hahaha, "shell," get it? :rolleyes: ) the cash for cutting tools and then let untrained kids have at it, but it happens all the time. It's a separate argument from whether it's necessary but I agree it is a real problem.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
loco said:
Not many folks are blessed with GREAT shops.
Yup, you find the right shop and the right mechanic, you stick with it.

I worked at a shop with a guy who has been wrenching for 28+ years. He has incredible loyalty from customers. Many of them would only let him even touch their bikes.

J

JRB

OGRipper said:
Interesting. Yeah it sucks that shops shell out (hahaha, "shell," get it? :rolleyes: ) the cash for cutting tools and then let untrained kids have at it, but it happens all the time. It's a separate argument from whether it's necessary but I agree it is a real problem.
The tool seems almost idiot proof, but alas, it is not. I think they should do the tool with some sort of stop for common shell widths, kind of like the different sizes for the headset race setting tool. I just get scared that they get carried away. I bet I would be surprised by the number of shops that would actually replace your frame instead of giving you an excuse. That would make be break glass and land in jail, if that happened.

J

JRB

H8R said:
Yup, you find the right shop and the right mechanic, you stick with it.

I worked at a shop with a guy who has been wrenching for 28+ years. He has incredible loyalty from customers. Many of them would only let him even touch their bikes.
My town won't support a mechanic for what he is worth. They have all moved on to better things. I would run the shop here for $35 or $40k and would do the major repairs like that, but most folks wouldn't. The shop wouldn't pay near that, so they are left with unskilled labor. Even the decent mechanics around here are too lazy to put forth the right effort. Sad really. :confused:

In addition - I am no hack about bikes. I build the high end bikes for the shop - mostly in trade for stuff. I do the brake work, for the most part, and rebuild some shocks. They just don't have any really good, stable help.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
BuddhaRoadkill said:
We are. 3 out of 5 are stellar. :think: Could be luck of the draw though. All it takes is one mech having a bad day to give a good shop a bad name.
Some of the good ones around here depend on how long they've set the bong down for.
I see this thread has really been productive while I was out in the real world.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
H8R said:
WTF is that? Is it a store display?
Nope, it's the original prototype that went to CES and stuff. There is a one inch thick plate on the front there and then the shiny part behind that was machined from one piece. Just that one part is about 14" tall and 14" wide and 10" deep. The matte finish part on the back is also one piece but not as deep.

H8R said:
Welding aluminum is crazy, you can see the skin form directly behind the weld bead. If you haven't prepped it correctly to remove the oxidide layer, (sanding, chemical prep, etc) it just f*cks with you.
Bare aluminum has a melting point of 1220 degrees - aluminum oxide has a melting point of 3632 degrees. Tough stuff.
My experience is that a lot depends on the welder you have and how well you've got your power and argon settings dialed.
My Vehicle Design prof wouldn't let anyone weld aluminum until you could weld two soda cans together end to end. Took a lot of dialing in and incinerated soda cans to figure that out. Not much prep work involved other than making sure there wasn't any grease on the cans.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Qman said:
My experience is that a lot depends on the welder you have and how well you've got your power and argon settings dialed.
My Vehicle Design prof wouldn't let anyone weld aluminum until you could weld two soda cans together end to end. Took a lot of dialing in and incinerated soda cans to figure that out. Not much prep work involved other than making sure there wasn't any grease on the cans.
Yeah, my experience welding aluminum is limited, I never got to the point of welding anything that thin. I was usally welding dirty scraps, hence the need for extra prep/cleaning.

I learned on a killer machine though, a Miller Dynasty 300 ... :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
BurlyShirley said:
Heh! You prolly know him. He lives in K-town. Nice guy.
Sold him my v10 frame back in august or sept. It was in the buy/sell about 2 weeks later. I didn't mind, I knew it would happen and it got me out of a bind w/ my taxes.

He's come in the shops for years and is always buying or selling somethng. He has posted up some of the most random posts ever on here, but he's a nice cat in person.

I wish I had that frame back.