Quantcast

Rennie's Kenda Morewood bike

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
WOW... sharpied out maxxis tires at a WC race. i still fail to see how this is still considered "news"

everyone would run maxxis if they could on the WC circuit.... lots of contracts are actually written to say riders can run what they "feel safest with"

the sponsorship exists because 90% of the buying public is oblivious to the WC circuit and only know who the "big names are". all photo shoots and promotional shots of these "big names" will have them on kendas and that is what will have an impact for them. they will also run kenda for all recreational riding etc... so all the groms a crankworx, or other bike parks around the country where these guys train between races will see them on Kendas.

look at santa cruz a few years ago... kendas in every magazine shot and every add. i bet they sold a bunch of tires to people based on that alone.

something is working for them... just go to a local race and see the number of dudes on Kenda tires. and then stick around for the finals and see how many bikes have deflated kendas at the finish line

Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I still fail to see the logic behind that sponsorship then?

Same here, they obviously give financial support to the team.

It is not "news" to me, it makes me question why a company like Kenda even bothers to make, sell and sponsor teams while their product is crap. I have a college education in marketing and business management so I understand the marketing standpoint but I would me embarrassed to work for a company that produces garbage. It disgusts me that they continue to reap the benefits of selling poor quality rubber by forking over large checks to bike teams to endorse stuff they actually prefer not to use.

Last edited:

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
WOW... sharpied out maxxis tires at a WC race. i still fail to see how this is still considered "news"
+1

or even pertinent. teams doing this is public knowledge. has been for years.
in the same way that everyone knows Bret Michaels is a lip-synching dbag.

OMG LOLZ sharpied out Maxxis tires!!!!?!?!?!!!!@1111

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
The real question is why doesn't Maxxis make unmarked tires with no print or stamping. That way every pro out there could run them without issue, and every d-bag grom would be chomping at the bit to buy unmarked tires so they could be like johnny pro...

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Looks like Kenda still blows goats. unless Kenda tires now say Maxxis on them
Correction. Looks like Kenda still doesn't make a mud tire and Maxxis makes what is widely considered to be the best mud tire on the circuit. Those are Wet Screams on Rennie's bike, most likely from the Saturday morning practice session.

Same here, they obviously give financial support to the team.

It is not "news" to me, it makes me question why a company like Kenda even bothers to make, sell and sponsor teams while their product is crap. I have a college education in marketing and business management so I understand the marketing standpoint but I would me embarrassed to work for a company that produces garbage. It disgusts me that they continue to reap the benefits of selling poor quality rubber by forking over large checks to bike teams to endorse stuff they actually prefer not to use.
They don't make a mud tire, and that is probably not such a bad idea. The spike DH spike tire market is pretty small, so not much to gain by spending the $$ and resources developing a tire very few people will use or buy.

Last edited:

Albion

Chimp
Sep 25, 2008
RaRe is a newer and lighter fork, i think it is as good as the pro. Got all the same adjustments etc.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
have any ideas? or just

"MOAR SHIMZ" on the front or back?

Tell me what u want and I will make it for platty's may race.
sheeeeeeeeeeeet son you act like I don't know screen printers either. I still got a couple bins of shirts I printed in college. And a few hoodies.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I remember back in the stiksandstones blogging days I wrote that Cedric and Anne were riding some maxxis tires when they were sponsored by Hutchinson, no pics just something to the effect "I see the sharpies were running strong in the Volvo Cannondale pits, Tires were being blacked out all weekend"...

Next weekend the head C-dale mechanic came to me at the next race in Vars, France ready to brawl, cussing at me, going absolute bonkers, I seriously had not seen someone so pissed at me in all my life. Man, those were the days, things were SOOO serious ;)

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Correction. Looks like Kenda still doesn't make a mud tire and Maxxis makes what is widely considered to be the best mud tire on the circuit. Those are Wet Screams on Rennie's bike, most likely from the Saturday morning practice session.

They don't make a mud tire, and that is probably not such a bad idea. The spike DH spike tire market is pretty small, so not much to gain by spending the $$ and resources developing a tire very few people will use or buy.
I don't know, I am a big maxxis fan, but I have a set of kign of tractions that make wet screams look like semi slicks. they DIGGG into soft ground better than anything I've ever ridden.

Kyle,

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Just curious, I thought the King of Traction (KOT) in the Tomac signature series is their mud tire?

Cabdoctor

Monkey
Mar 25, 2008
Sacramento
On the back in nice big bold type would be a cool shirt. The combo idea is good but you'll need a third design to really have me offering $$$
Somebody Photochop a World Champions Jersey onto a picture of Steve Peat. Preferably one where he's wearing a crown like at Lisbon. I would buy that shurt to

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
The real question is why doesn't Maxxis make unmarked tires with no print or stamping. That way every pro out there could run them without issue, and every d-bag grom would be chomping at the bit to buy unmarked tires so they could be like johnny pro...
ive seen a few people who have blacked out their maxxis tires because it looks cooler

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
You don't think every grom at Whistler reads RM? I know that tires have been sharpied out forever but this is the KENDA TEAM!!!!

And i was worried everyone was gonna run out and buy Specialized tires this summer...(sam hill=minion)

Kenda does make two tires i like a LOT. Maxxis makes at least two i like though...

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Just curious, I thought the King of Traction (KOT) in the Tomac signature series is their mud tire?
I got some of those in stock the other day. Up until now Kenda has never really had in stock. They've been a bit of a mystery for a while. They tire is slightly different that what's shown in the catalog.
Very interesting tire. We have them mounted up on a rim next to a Wet Scream, Black Turtle, Mud X and Intense Spike. I think they would definitely roll faster than the others as the middle knobs are pretty short, the corner knobs are friggin HUGE though. I may have to try one out and see how it goes.

-Kevin

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
I got some of those in stock the other day. Up until now Kenda has never really had in stock. They've been a bit of a mystery for a while. They tire is slightly different that what's shown in the catalog.
Very interesting tire. We have them mounted up on a rim next to a Wet Scream, Black Turtle, Mud X and Intense Spike. I think they would definitely roll faster than the others as the middle knobs are pretty short, the corner knobs are friggin HUGE though. I may have to try one out and see how it goes.

-Kevin

million $$ question... will it make it to the bottom of the hill with the same pressure that it had in the start gate.

hint: that question is usually answered by the looking at the logo that is on the sidewall (or not there because it is blacked out)

I am just waiting for old man ulmer to throw his 2 cents into this thread