Quantcast

Rescued

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Poor little guy, he is totally freaked out. The five year old kid at his old house did a number on him. The breeder that rescued him told us that the kid and his friends hounded the poor guy into a corner at one point so bad that the dog nipped in self defense. It took us 30 minutes to where we got him this calm. The car ride got him all freaked again. This is going to be a long process of rebuilding his trust in humans.

his name is Calvin or not..Wife just changed her mind, he is now named Zach (Zachary)

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Highjacking thread:

Wife took the girl (scouts) to the humane society tonight. I got this picture:

for this dog.

We put Mazda down, 8 months or so ago I guess. I still miss him terribly. Dog #2 is well on his way to being totally deaf, and super needy. I'd like another dog but it seems unfair for several reasons. Dog #2 is old, we'd really like to travel more and 2 dogs are twice as expensive to kennel, training and vet costs, etc.

On the flip side, I'm a super softy for older dogs. Puppies always get rescued, older dogs get put down. Both Mazda and Denver were older (3 and 1 respectively) when we rescued them and they are (were) both fantastic dogs. I'd really like a dog for runs, and for around the house, especially for the wife, Denver has a really hard time keeping up with even my wife now, and hasn't run with me in years.

It feels sort of right to adopt another, but I'm reluctant, and I think a lot of that is still just plain old grief. What say teh monkey?

edit: Full disclosure, I'm a whiskey and a couple beers deep after todays news about my coworker.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Highjacking thread:

for this dog.

We put Mazda down, 8 months or so ago I guess. I still miss him terribly. Dog #2 is well on his way to being totally deaf, and super needy. I'd like another dog but it seems unfair for several reasons. Dog #2 is old, we'd really like to travel more and 2 dogs are twice as expensive to kennel, training and vet costs, etc.

On the flip side, I'm a super softy for older dogs. Puppies always get rescued, older dogs get put down. Both Mazda and Denver were older (3 and 1 respectively) when we rescued them and they are (were) both fantastic dogs. I'd really like a dog for runs, and for around the house, especially for the wife, Denver has a really hard time keeping up with even my wife now, and hasn't run with me in years.

It feels sort of right to adopt another, but I'm reluctant, and I think a lot of that is still just plain old grief. What say teh monkey?
For years I never wanted to burden my friends with my dog. Then eventually found some friends whose dogs got along well with mine. I watched theirs when needed and vice versa. Made it easier on everyone, as long as you can avoid Stoney style drama, most people seem to.

I stopped at my friends in Tacoma on my way to seattle to see if our dogs got along. Two peas in a pod.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
IMG1644.jpg
Not quite a rescue dog but on Wednesday I adopted Gus from a couple who couldn't look after him anymore.
5 1/2 year old Lab crossed with German wire haired pointer.

Pretty chilled out dude, not a barker and so far been pretty good to have around the bike shop.

Going to to be a few battles between us though, he's quite the Alpha and not too keen on some random stranger (me) telling him what to do.
He's never done much on a lead before and at the moment I can't have him off the lead as he just buggers off and won't come when I call. But early day's, he has only had 3 days so far to get used to no longer living on a 20 acre lifestyle block out of town where he was permanently left to his own devices all day every day.

He was very quick (in fact it was the first thing he did when I got him home) to find every weak spot in the fencing around the property.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
View attachment 122415 Not quite a rescue dog but on Wednesday I adopted Gus from a couple who couldn't look after him anymore.
5 1/2 year old Lab crossed with German wire haired pointer.

Pretty chilled out dude, not a barker and so far been pretty good to have around the bike shop.

Going to to be a few battles between us though, he's quite the Alpha and not too keen on some random stranger (me) telling him what to do.
He's never done much on a lead before and at the moment I can't have him off the lead as he just buggers off and won't come when I call. But early day's, he has only had 3 days so far to get used to no longer living on a 20 acre lifestyle block out of town where he was permanently left to his own devices all day every day.

He was very quick (in fact it was the first thing he did when I got him home) to find every weak spot in the fencing around the property.
what do you have against football boots?!

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Well people wearing them as they walk across the carpet and polished wood floors of my shop tends to destroy the floor..... it's a football field directly in front of the shop and people have proven to be a bit too stupid to figure out that the muddy boots wreck the floors.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
aah, I see... It seemed random that you would ban them... I was wondering if kiwis had taken to wearing them to ride in... but having a field across the street makes sense to me now!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Highjacking thread:

for this dog.

edit: Full disclosure, I'm a whiskey and a couple beers deep after todays news about my coworker.

Go get that little orange bastard! If you like to run with a k9, I think this guy will be a willing partner given his Aussie genes. The pic of him on the Humane Society website says "You like to run do you?...Oh rly?"

I got this mottled trail demon (now affectionately dubbed "space dildo" by my riding bros) about 8 or so months ago, and he has been a fantastic addition to the fam. As illustrated below, he is always a ready exploration partner for my daughter. Basically, he's now like a little brother to my daughter (which is definitely less expensive than a real brother, even considering the occasional kenneling costs - which means I'm actually saving money!) and is a freakin trail ripper of epic proportions.

Btw, hope you're not in too bad of shape this morning, and sorry to hear about your coworker.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Go get that little orange bastard! If you like to run with a k9, I think this guy will be a willing partner given his Aussie genes. The pic of him on the Humane Society website says "You like to run do you?...Oh rly?"

I got this mottled trail demon (now affectionately dubbed "space dildo" by my riding bros) about 8 or so months ago, and he has been a fantastic addition to the fam. As illustrated below, he is always a ready exploration partner for my daughter. Basically, he's now like a little brother to my daughter (which is definitely less expensive than a real brother, even considering the occasional kenneling costs - which means I'm actually saving money!) and is a freakin trail ripper of epic proportions.

Btw, hope you're not in too bad of shape this morning, and sorry to hear about your coworker.
We did! Posted it in yesterdays GMT.

So far she's a really good girl. Needs training as manners are lacking, but she's definitely no dummy so it's just going to be working on behavior.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
On a related note: Has anybody ever done pet insurance?

I grew up in a family where pets got regular shots, a once a year trip to the vet for rabies shots,and that was about it. Dog is sick or got hit by a car? Go get the .45 was pretty much how that stuff was handled.

Now, because I'm a lip wristed liberal pussy, I treat my personal animals better, but have so far called bullshit on stuff like "pet dental" and "insurance". I've until recently remained of the opinion that 1000 bucks is about the limit where I have an animal put down. That was until we had to put down Mazda because he was old and had bone cancer. That crushed me. Granted, there was nothing to be done for him, no 15-16 year old dog is going to have major surgery in this house, and I'm pretty sure my vet would have said no to that too. But what if this is a 2 year old dog were talking about? or a 10 year old?

#firstworldproblems?

Discuss.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
On a related note: Has anybody ever done pet insurance?

I grew up in a family where pets got regular shots, a once a year trip to the vet for rabies shots,and that was about it. Dog is sick or got hit by a car? Go get the .45 was pretty much how that stuff was handled.

Now, because I'm a lip wristed liberal pussy, I treat my personal animals better, but have so far called bullshit on stuff like "pet dental" and "insurance". I've until recently remained of the opinion that 1000 bucks is about the limit where I have an animal put down. That was until we had to put down Mazda because he was old and had bone cancer. That crushed me. Granted, there was nothing to be done for him, no 15-16 year old dog is going to have major surgery in this house, and I'm pretty sure my vet would have said no to that too. But what if this is a 2 year old dog were talking about? or a 10 year old?

#firstworldproblems?

Discuss.
Well, now that you've been infected, I'm afraid we'll have to put you down.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Congrats on the new pup! And those cattle dog mixes, especially older ones that have had a chance to do things their way for a while can be real stubborn sons of bitches. Ours still does what he wants sometimes despite all manners of training.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Well Zack has settle in nicely. He has learned to walk on a leash without pulling he understands in means go though the door and into the house, kennel means go into your kennel. and he will let you pick him up without peeing. tonight he even sat on my lap and got petted.

sacked out on his bed

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Now, because I'm a lip wristed liberal pussy, I treat my personal animals better, but have so far called bullshit on stuff like "pet dental" and "insurance". I've until recently remained of the opinion that 1000 bucks is about the limit

Discuss.
leaving politics out of this.....my brother had health insurance for his first ridgeback...the insurance was fine up until the penis cancer...then they denied/rejected claims...