Quantcast

Residential speeders

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
This is a rant.:rant:
I live in an area with LOTS of kids and a park. It's 25 mph. Not 35, and certainly not 45. So for you people that are in too big of a hurry, too bad, I am going to slow you down by actually obeying the speed law. Tail gate me. See if I care that you are getting annoyed. Sure, it's passive agressive. Sure, what ever you have to do in a big hurry is way more important than anything I have going on. But you know what, I sure feel sorry for you if you ever hit someone's kid. And it's only 4 blocks to the arterial. Save it for the freeway.

/:rant:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Going fast does not equal being unsafe. If you're looking far ahead and are focused "speeding" isn't necessarily dangerous. I'd be more worried about terrible, slow drivers than aware, defensive fast drivers.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Going fast does not equal being unsafe. If you're looking far ahead and are focused "speeding" isn't necessarily dangerous. I'd be more worried about terrible, slow drivers than aware, defensive fast drivers.
Around my house, old people in cadillacs account for way more accidents then irresponsible kids in ricers. Neither, however are acceptable.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
since most of the drivers in question are high school age or on a phone, I seriously doubt they're paying a lot of attention to what's up ahead on the road.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA

Jeronimo

Monkey
Jul 11, 2006
behind that boulder

Need a reading comprehension class?

She said RESEDENTIAL AREA. Anyone who speeds in resedential areas needs to be slapped down like the biches they are. There's no excuse for it.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Not sure on the stats, I just know from experience. Neither are safe, but having years of experience to the point that you need 2" thick glasses and have the reaction time of an ice age doesn't help much.

Of course, old people "forget which pedal is which" and plow through pedestrian markets a few times a year. Around here they also tend to slam their land yaghts into things while parking and not care.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Around here? Nothing commercial, Just houses, a park with a playground, some uncontrolled ( unsigned) intersections. The speed limit is signed as 25, and it's state law that residential area is 25. There are various arterials linking residential to commercial, they are usually 30 or 35. And of course, school zones are 20.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
hate to sound like an old man, but I yell at people constantly when me and jen are out walking the dog.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
Need a reading comprehension class?

She said RESEDENTIAL AREA. Anyone who speeds in resedential areas needs to be slapped down like the biches they are. There's no excuse for it.
Diarrhea is an exceptable excuse in my book. Of course, as long as you don't hit anyone. I don't speed myself, and get bugged by others that do. But, sometimes you gotta go.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think anyone who needs to race around neighborhood a puss. Go find the local riceboy meet if you want to rev it up...

Y

yadadada

I live in a "residential neighborhood" and the cars go down my street way too fast. I live right near a park, and across the street from an elementary school. It aggrivates me that people drive so fast because of all the kids, the fact that the street is pretty narrow and can't fit two cars driving by each other if there is one parked on the side of the street, and all the people with cats and dogs that walk through our neighborhood. It's rediculous. Now I realize why, when I was 16 and learning to drive, my dad always yelled at me to slow down to 20 mph when driving by the gym where all the little kids played soccer.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
teen drivers are 10x more likely to have a car accident than an elderly person.
where do you get this data? the last time i checked, teen drivers had faster reflexes and could actually see over the steering wheel.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I'm with you........ for the most part. When there are people around, in the middle of the day, school time, etc, definantly drive slowly. When I am coming come from somewhere at 2am, I'll do 30-40 in a residential area. I don't see it as unsafe at all, I know the streets, know the people, and know when and where they may be.

Also places that definantly don't deserve 25 limits, I don't care about. There is a stretch of road coming into the front of the neighborhood I grew up in, no houses, no nothing along it. There are streets that have houses off this street, but nothing on the street. its a fairly main road, and definantly should not be 25. I know where all the cops sit, and go as fast as I feel safe.

(Although I did get pulled over one morning on my way to school for 43 in a 25 :brow: )

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
I live just two houses from the stop sign on our street. I never ceased to be amazed how these idiots can go by the house at 40 mph and still get stopped before entering the intersection. The kids are not allowed to play in front of the house for this reason. Just me and my coffee can full of rocks on the front porch...

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
I typically drive about 5 over the speed limit. I have no problems driving slowly through 25mph sections of road but for gods sake when the speed limit increases you need to do the same.

There are several roads around me that go through small towns and the speed limit drops but once you leave the town the speed limit increases. nothing bugs me more than someone who drives 40 no matter what the speed limit is. They tail gate me through town then hold up traffic between towns. :banghead: :rant:

InsideMan

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
On an Island
One of my worst nightmares is to hit a pedestrian, cus its so easy to do now a days with the music playin lookin at chics walking down the sidewalk and talking on the phone, and everyone is into this whole "EXERCISING" thing jogging around like a bunch of little hippys.

ukjason

sexist pig
May 14, 2006
leicester uk
around where i live you can only do 20mph as there are speed bumps every 200 yards and there are like theses road bricks that they put down and if you start to get padt the 20mph mark they make a right noise

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
teen drivers are 10x more likely to have a car accident than an elderly person.
Here you go...Wanna try some facts?

http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/teens.html
How do teenage crash rates compare with rates among elderly drivers?

Although mileage-based crash rates for elderly drivers are as high as those for teenagers, older drivers have much lower per capita rates. The fact that relatively few elderly drivers are involved in crashes, despite their high crash risk, is attributable to their lower rates of exposure. The rate of licensure is lower among the elderly than among younger people, and elderly people with licenses drive fewer miles, on average, than do younger drivers.
I personally think there should be a maximum driving age, just as we have a minimum. In fact, raise the minimum to 18. Make the maximum 70. Better yet, institute strict license renewal requirements, as well as driving restrictions, for those 65 and older.

And anyone that speeds in a residential area is a retard.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
i m the guy that steps out in front of the speeding cars and tells you to slow the fvck down...

there is a 25mph limit where we live now and the building contractors are the main speeding offenders... i understand the need to hurry between jobs, but when someone is hitting 45 - 50 in a 25 zone then they need their asses kicked...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Here you go...Wanna try some facts?

http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/teens.html

I personally think there should be a maximum driving age, just as we have a minimum. In fact, raise the minimum to 18. Make the maximum 70. Better yet, institute strict license renewal requirements, as well as driving restrictions, for those 65 and older.

And anyone that speeds in a residential area is a retard.
You gunna drive everyone's grandma to get prune juice and diapers? Didnt think so. They HAVE to drive.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
yep - speeding in residential areas sucks. I'll drive as fast as I can on the highways, but I rarely do more than a few MPH over the speed limit in residential areas, especially if kids are out playing in yards and such.