Quantcast

Residential speeders

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Going fast does not equal being unsafe. If you're looking far ahead and are focused "speeding" isn't necessarily dangerous. I'd be more worried about terrible, slow drivers than aware, defensive fast drivers.
You can't predict the actions of young kids... that's what makes speeding dangerous.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Elderly people on phones with slow reaction times are ever worse than stupid kids on telephones while driving.
I generally agree, except for the fact that old people generally drive 10mph UNDER the speed limit while stupidass kids drive OVER the speed limit. Slower speeds = less damage when accidents happen.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Funny thing is that it's young drives who do most of the speeding in residential areas... and it's always cool to see them getting popped by the po-po with $285 speeding tickets.

:)

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
since most of the drivers in question are high school age or on a phone, I seriously doubt they're paying a lot of attention to what's up ahead on the road.
exactly !!!

i live in an area marked for thirty m.p.h.
and it's funny to watch how ballistic people behind you get as you dare to impeed their god given right to go as fast as they want.

it's almost alway a cigarette smoker.
or someone on a phone.
or both.

and in the afternoon when the local high school lets out, it's a raceway.
that's usually when a radar unit sets out there and nails em as fast as he can get re-parked.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
around here most vehicle deaths are high school kids.

at the begining of each semester it ramps up.
a couple from each area school die while speeding around twisty back roads marked for thirty m.p.h.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/gdl.html

this links on the reduced rate of accidents of teens in states with graduated licensing. I'm all for that. There are so many issues with brain development in teens it's a wonder they can drive at all.

As for BS's comment that old people HAVE to drive...??????? Many senior areas have little busses that take folks around to their activities. My mom made a concious choice to live where she could take her little basket on wheels and walk to the market... it's no more HAVE to drive than any other demographic.

Another interesting note. In Canada, learners and new drivers have to have these big signs in their rear windows. "L" for learner, "N" for novice. This way, if you see them being dumb/hesistating/confused you at least know why.

What prompted this whole rant was two speeders in one day. One guy, big guy in a BMW on a cell phone trying to go about 50, who actually drove up on someone's lawn at a stop sign to get around me, and then the other was just your usual teen tailgating in a hurry to get somewhere.

My teen drivers aren't perfect but they sure as hell can't speed in the 83 toyota they've been given to drive, and they sure know that a) I would kill them and b) they would lose ALL driving priviledges for a very long time for any asshat behaviour with a car.

gg

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
As for BS's comment that old people HAVE to drive...??????? Many senior areas have little busses that take folks around to their activities. My mom made a concious choice to live where she could take her little basket on wheels and walk to the market... it's no more HAVE to drive than any other demographic.
Yeah, but its no less HAVE to drive either. I dont like old dangerous people on the road either, but barring some huge new government program for bussing old people and a conquering of the AARP (which would NEVER happen) it's simply not feasable to have them not drive.

BillT

Monkey
Petition the local government to put in speed bumps to slow the traffic down. We've had that done in our last neighborhood and will be working the people in our current neighborhood to do the same. The speed bumps serve 2 purposes as it acts as a passive traffic control device to get people to slow down and encourages people to find alternate routes (typically main, non-residential roads) that lowers the volume of traffic in your area.

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
Right now we live in a small but busy downtown area and we live on a corner with a stop sign. There's lots of kids and people walking and a ton of speeders. Fortunately the cops patrol the area fairly well and there's someone being pulled over in front of our house at least once a week. People take our corner so fast that they drive up on the curve.

I have to back out of our driveway onto the street and it's a pain in the butt because it's so busy. I've been honked at before for pulling out too slow and not getting out of their way fast enough....idiots!

If it's a residential area and the speed limit is 25mph.....then drive 25mph.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I too live on a residential street (25mph) that somehow people think should be the main artery to the university, even though there are two other main roads that get you there easier. I had a woman almost rear end me a couple weeks ago because she was tail gating and I had to stop for a pedestrian. After she almost rear ended me, she then continued to tailgate me until we got to a turning lane, at which time she speed past me flipping me off, while talking on her cell phone and holding a cup of starbucks. I was mind boggled. As to how fast she was driving, or attempting to drive......I pulled out of my driveway and could see her headlights two blocks down the street, one of which had a stop sign. By the time I pulled out and got into 1st and drove about 15 yards, she was on my tail already! She had to had to have been doing 50. People like that need to implode.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Yeah, but its no less HAVE to drive either. I dont like old dangerous people on the road either, but barring some huge new government program for bussing old people and a conquering of the AARP (which would NEVER happen) it's simply not feasable to have them not drive.
Not to mention, elderly people have a very powerful voting voice. I mean, they have nothing else to do all day, so they might as well vote. No politician who would support stricter driving standards for the elderly will ever get elected to office.

Idiots blast up and down our street all the time. MBC yells at them every chance she gets. :D

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Not to mention, elderly people have a very powerful voting voice. I mean, they have nothing else to do all day, so they might as well vote. No politician who would support stricter driving standards for the elderly will ever get elected to office.

Idiots blast up and down our street all the time. MBC yells at them every chance she gets. :D
Yeah exactly. The AARP is the largest interest group in the country if Im not mistaken. Nothing like that would ever fly.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Funny thing is that it's young drives who do most of the speeding in residential areas... and it's always cool to see them getting popped by the po-po with $285 speeding tickets.

:)

I don't know where you live, but i've been pulled for some pretty fast stuff, and never had a $285 ticket!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't know where you live, but i've been pulled for some pretty fast stuff, and never had a $285 ticket!
It all depends on the cop.

I got nailed in Massachusettes doing 65 in a 45... of course, it had just dropped from 55 to 45. It was two o'clock in the morning, not a soul on the road, roads were dry, and the route was straight. The officer apparently had a chip on her shoulder and gave me a nearly $300 ticket.

I had a clean driving record, was polite to her, apologized, etc. Didn't matter. I ended up fighting it in court and the judge didn't even bat an eyelid - dropped it to a $65 fine just like that.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I am an incorrigible leadfoot but all my speeding is done at highway speeds. My wife and I specifically sold our house in Fredneck and moved out to the sticks because of residential speeding and non-residents using our residential streets as a shortcut to the highway. We had dumbasses from more distant neighborhoods ricing it up to 50+mph in our neighborhood and even increased police presence and one of those "Your speed is ___" generator/radar thingamabobs did nothing to deter them. They would squeal their tires, blow through stop signs and race right past our two community kiddie parks.

Now some people in my neighborhood probably hate me for this reason, but I drive no more than 25mph in residential areas and usually have the stereo up loud and bumping hard if it's not too late. After a recent experience with a dog getting run over right in front of me at slow speed one street over from my own, I am even more cautious than before. I never let my kids play anywhere in the neighborhood except the big fenced community park or my fenced backyard and my older daughter is only allowed to ride her bike on the sidewalks when I am right there with her.

The thought of losing a precious child or loved-one to something as stupid and senseless as residential speeding is absolutely heart-rending. Young children in familiar surroundings just aren't experienced enough with the world to be counted on NOT to do something thoughtless like chase a misplayed ball into the streets or dart across one from behind a car when a playmate calls.

D

d-sop

ya, i'm a teenager, i do drive kinda fast. i've been working on it though by sometimes trailing a car goin the speed limit.cops here don't catch very many speeders, but have pulled me over 3-4 times for broken tail lights, which just piss me off (ive gotten them fixed.) why do teenagers not pay attention? i know i pay attention cuz i have adhd and am currently on ritalin, but its not right to say all teenagers dont pay attention. there are some people that just didnt pay attention at all in driving school, or just drive crazy. these people should get pulled over. and dont forget middle-aged people. ive been yelled at alot cuz i wasn't driving how they liked, maybe got in front of them (but not cut them off, most of the time). it pisses me off when anybody, any age, gets pissed at me for not driving "correctly" when they've done it too. it should stop.

and dont get me started on SUVs

Cursor

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
can't find on mapquest
i also live in a quiet residential area and across the street from an elementary school. i'm right at the 3-way 'T' type intersection and notice that most of the people that blow through the stop sign are the parents dropping off their kids :rant:

D

d-sop

Here you go...Wanna try some facts?

http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/teens.html

I personally think there should be a maximum driving age, just as we have a minimum. In fact, raise the minimum to 18. Make the maximum 70. Better yet, institute strict license renewal requirements, as well as driving restrictions, for those 65 and older.

And anyone that speeds in a residential area is a retard.
yes. thats the solution. i heard of stories also of old people giving up their licenses. double major props for them.

teenagers crash, but that doesnt mean that adults dont crash. this is egocentrism mixed with hindsight. if you're an adult saying teenagers crash more than old people, that doesnt mean you dont crash too. thats absolute bullsh!t to say you have never ever gotten into an accident.

ok haha rant done. i'm really bored in geology, aka "rocks for jocks"

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
teenagers crash, but that doesnt mean that adults dont crash. this is egocentrism mixed with hindsight. if you're an adult saying teenagers crash more than old people, that doesnt mean you dont crash too. thats absolute bullsh!t to say you have never ever gotten into an accident.
Uhh, I haven't read anything in this thread where one of us "adults" has said we have never gotten into an accident.

I will admit that when I first got my license, and even the several years after that, I was a horrible driver. I was lucky enough to not have anything more serious than fender-benders, but I tempted fate numerous times because I simply didn't know better.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
yes. thats the solution. i heard of stories also of old people giving up their licenses. double major props for them.

This is a repeated theme about teenagers' ability to drive. Statistically teenagers drive worse than adults, but this is not an indictment about teenage driving. There are plenty of bad drivers of all ages.

I think drivers with less than 3 years of experience, which includes all teenagers, should be very careful.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
ya, i'm a teenager, i do drive kinda fast. i've been working on it though by sometimes trailing a car goin the speed limit.cops here don't catch very many speeders, but have pulled me over 3-4 times for broken tail lights, which just piss me off (ive gotten them fixed.) why do teenagers not pay attention? i know i pay attention cuz i have adhd and am currently on ritalin, but its not right to say all teenagers dont pay attention. there are some people that just didnt pay attention at all in driving school, or just drive crazy. these people should get pulled over. and dont forget middle-aged people. ive been yelled at alot cuz i wasn't driving how they liked, maybe got in front of them (but not cut them off, most of the time). it pisses me off when anybody, any age, gets pissed at me for not driving "correctly" when they've done it too. it should stop.

and dont get me started on SUVs

ok haha rant done. i'm really bored in geology, aka "rocks for jocks"
So yah, this like makes my head hurt cuz it makes no sense and stuff. So like every teenager pays attention cuz you do? And like there's all these statistics and stuff that say teenagers get in more accidents, but like that's just wack, cuz I pay attention and stuff. And everyone gets in wrecks and stuff, so like nobody can tell me how to drive and stuff, cuz old people drive crazy so it's like no one can complain, but whatever, word.

If you have an opinion that you would like to share, please use your big kid words and convay it. Otherwise it makes no sense.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Awesome. Driving on ritalin that must be a trip.
that's exactly what i was thinking.

all i know, is that when i'm sitting out front in the evening talking to neighbors etc...
the ones who are ripping through our 30m.p.h. streets doing 45-60m.p.h are p.a.k.'s. driving their little p.o.s. ricers with a potato cannon for a tailpipe.
not older drivers.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Knock on wood.....but neither have I. I've also never had a speeding ticket or any other type of ticket.

I haven't had anything for the last 15 or so years until some stupid idiot pulled right out of a parking into the side of my car.:rant:

Now my first 5 years of driving...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
You can't predict the actions of young kids... that's what makes speeding dangerous.
I agree. When there are little kids running around it's dumb to go fast. When there's a residential area where there aren't a lot of people out, then it's fine IMO.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
if there is a problem with speeders in a residential, contact your local PD. Do it regulalry, such that they come out and start writing tickets. Also, contact your city council person, they can light a fire where needed.
It's a democracy still, and he who bitches the most is heard the loudest...

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
if there is a problem with speeders in a residential, contact your local PD. Do it regulalry, such that they come out and start writing tickets. Also, contact your city council person, they can light a fire where needed.
It's a democracy still, and he who bitches the most is heard the loudest...
someone else mentioned speed bumps. The messed up thing about the particular area I'm discussing is that it's a city/county border. That means no one in LE wants to take responsibility on it. I've seen one cop issueing tickets in the last 15 years. I just might give them a call, that was a long time ago. And speed bumps? We can't even get them to keep up on potholes in this town...

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
since most of the drivers in question are high school age or on a phone, I seriously doubt they're paying a lot of attention to what's up ahead on the road.
Thats a nice blanket statement. I'm in highschool and I don't speed, does that make me the only one ?

"Since most blacks and puerto ricans steal, I seriously doubt they have any integrity. "

Using that logic, that statement would be true also.