Quantcast

Ridewrap Frame Protection...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Do these latest carbon bikes not come with a powdercoat? Mine is going on ... 14 years, and the powder is still in pretty damn good condition.
Paint but not powdercoating. The temps required to cure powder are too high for many/most carbon frames.
I think GG's Revved bikes are capable of being powdercoated. @mtg .. am I mistaken here?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Paint but not powdercoating. The temps required to cure powder are too high for many/most carbon frames.
I think GG's Revved bikes are capable of being powdercoated. @mtg .. am I mistaken here?
the revved frames are in fact powder coated.

edit: and you are also correct about the temps.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Yeah, the Revved GGs are still powder coated. And while they are more durable than most paints (looking at you Transition, Ibis, etc.!) you can still scuff them if you're not paying attention. I got a few scuffs inside the front triangle from a plastic water bottle cage flexing and allowing the bottle to rattle before I caught it. I did use the RideWrap generic full suspension covered kit, and it wasn't that bad to do. The biggest spots I had to modify were the stays and at the kink in the downtube. I only had 1 spot where I had an issue with it wanting to unpeel (back of seat tube) but patience and a heat gun got it to seat eventually. As a plus, RideWrap matte brings out an awesome bass boat sparkle in the GG powder coat color.

When I got a second set of seatstays, I emailed RW and they sold me a heavily discounted "touch up" kit to cover those, which actually consisted of a complete kit just marked down like 60% or something. They said the full price of a kit is a bit front loaded to cover discount replacement piece costs.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Correct, powder coat is more durable than wet paint in general, but traditional carbon frames cannot handle the heat required. Revved frames can handle higher temps, so we use powder coat.

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
Any suggestions for what size sheet of Xpel to cover a size 3 Smash? I still have some leftover from an 18x24 sheet I covered another bike with, but it didn't have the same suface area.

I've skipped this step on my past few bikes, and apparently I'm pretty rough on paint. I don't really care what it looks like, but people buying the bikes mostly do. They not only want pristine paint, but they make assumptions about the mechanical soundness of the bike based on the way it looks. This is a pretty cheap and easy way to avoid all that.