Quantcast

Riding Lawn Mowers

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Looks like I'm in the market for a riding mower. Any opinions? Nothing too large - 42", 19-20hp, etc. Brands - John Deere, Cub Cadet, Ariens, etc? Thanks.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Just got my Craftsman YT4000 yesterday. 24hp, 42" cut, 4 deck rollers, I got the 6 speed manual due to my yard is hilly/uneven. Was a nice cut, pretty powerful. I had done about 3 months of research, this came out to be the best deal for what I wanted, price, warranty, features.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
My house came with a Craftsman tractor w/ 42" mower deck, 6 speed, bagger setup.......it makes mowing the lawn less miserable. It seems to work pretty well.

Last edited:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
How big is your lawn?

I bought a SCAG freedom Z 2yrs ago and I love it. Next to marrying my wife it's the best decision I've ever made.

Cut my mowing time from 4hrs to about 1.5hrs.

I've worked on farms mowing. I went through 2 mowers, 1-husquarvan and 1-sears brand at my house alone.

How much are you looking to spend?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Craftsman here too. It cut my mowing from 2 hours down to 30 minutes

Look for a used mower. You can find them almost brand new for way less than retail.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Good question. Riding mowers seem are a generally bad idea.
Really?

I have a yard that is over an acre. It would take my close to 4 hrs to mow my yard with a push mower and with a riding mower I cut that time to just under and hour. The cutting deck is twice as wide and the engine is more than twice as powerful and it can go faster than I can walk/push.

Gives me more time to hang out with my family, ride my bike, drink beer, etc.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Really?

I have a yard that is over an acre. It would take my close to 4 hrs to mow my yard with a push mower and with a riding mower I cut that time to just under and hour. The cutting deck is twice as wide and the engine is more than twice as powerful and it can go faster than I can walk/push.

Gives me more time to hang out with my family, ride my bike, drink beer, etc.
x2. Growing up my folks had around an acre. A hilly acre. Cutting it with a push mower took about 6 hours. Cutting it with a riding mower would take less than a third of that time.

x2. Growing up my folks had around an acre. A hilly acre. Cutting it with a push mower took about 6 hours. Cutting it with a riding mower would take less than a third of that time.
Takes less time, barks tree trunks, runs over a bunch of stuff that you might go around with a push mower, tends to create ruts, uses more gas and oil, provides less exercise, costs more to maintain and store. Try replacing some lawn with garden.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Takes less time, barks tree trunks, runs over a bunch of stuff that you might go around with a push mower, tends to create ruts, uses more gas and oil, provides less exercise, costs more to maintain and store. Try replacing some lawn with garden.
Don't you have some kids you need to tell to get off your lawn or something? :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
less time cutting grass = more time to ride bikes.

Assuming that JBP still rides bikes :rolleyes:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Growing up my parents made me use a manual lawn mower. My dad would always tell me to mow the lawn every time I asked him to go for a ride. So instead of walking it, I just ran. It turned out to be a good warmup, so by the time my friends arrived for the ride, I was ready to go. The mower did a great job actually especially if you didn't let the lawn get too long. We got it sharpened up in Amish country.

But yeah, riding lawn mower - personally one of the last things I would ever want. They seem incredibly wasteful in their singular purpose, poor reliability, noise, cost and cost of maintenance.

Something like this but much older.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Find a used Locke mower - preferably one with side wings on it........My cousins used one for years for their lawnmowing/landscape business. The thing worked great and was walk behind. It was expensive as hell to get the reel blades sharpened though. But it ran great, was relatively quiet and could cut huge wide swaths of lawn in no-time!

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Ridemonkey...where you ask a question and it gets derailed into a debate of the righteous before it ever gets answered. :D

I've had awful luck with Cub Cadet. Had a Series 2000 with a 48in mower deck that always gave me problems for several years. Toro is a great brand--just picked up one of their 4-stroke weed eaters. I highly recommend those. John Deere is just OK....as much as their reputation precedes them, I had an LT115 that had a few welds fail on the engine mount after a few seasons.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i'm not being righteous....i just find it funny that people who are all about fitness would use a riding mower.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'm not being righteous....i just find it funny that people who are all about fitness would use a riding mower.
cutting grass is a chore. yea, its great that you can get some exercise with a pushmower, but if I had a lawn large enough to justify a riding mower, I'd go for it so I could save the time, enabling me to move on to the things I actually enjoy doing.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
I just bought this mower. I like it because I can run behind it. The more you push the handle, the faster it goes. I returned a crapsman mower the other day that I used once. The thing was like a turtle. I can mow my yard in a 1/2 hour with this bitch. But I do run or jog behind it. Takes the rest of the fools like 2 hours to do theirs. Unmotivated lazy fvckers.

http://www.toro.com/home/mowers/recycler/20333.html

Last edited:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ridemonkey...where you ask a question and it gets derailed into a debate of the righteous before it ever gets answered. :D

I've had awful luck with Cub Cadet. Had a Series 2000 with a 48in mower deck that always gave me problems for several years. Toro is a great brand--just picked up one of their 4-stroke weed eaters. I highly recommend those. John Deere is just OK....as much as their reputation precedes them, I had an LT115 that had a few welds fail on the engine mount after a few seasons.
In all honesty he didn't give them much to work with.

My hilly, tree filled, 3 acres of grass would be crazy to push mow.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have a small yard, so does my neighbor. I spend an hour a week push mowing. My neighbor spends a half hour a week mowing on his rider and about 4 hours a week trying to keep it running. It makes me laugh. If my yard was bigger I would definitely have a riding mower. Had to push mow 1.5+ hilly acres as a kid with a tiny 18" mower. It is my most dreaded chore.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
So let 2.5 acres go wild.
I would say we actively use 2.5 acres of it. The other .5 I don't mow that often.

It's easier to keep track of my dogs and they like to run so it makes that easier plus my daughter rides her power wheels all over the place we have large family picnics and play baseball.... I could go on.

The other 6acres are tree covered.

My house is the one with the red box.

Attachments