Quantcast

Riding my bike in front of 16 thousand fans!

LaytonDH

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
UT
I am not sure how wide the stairs are but keep in mind that on game day people are going to want to lean out into the isle to look back up the stairs and see you coming.
I went down there with them when they were first setting it up. They are going to move people off the aisles 2-3 seats to keep people from leaning in, but there is still a handrail down the center of the stairs, 2-3 inches from your bars the whole way.

The Utah Jazz mascot does the same stunt on a bike or snowboard or sled down the stairs, but stops at the bottom without the 30 foot gap jump over spectators, so this is definitely a lot more sketchy.

beesonutah

Chimp
Apr 23, 2006
The ushers won't be able to move but 1 row of people(maybe) so we are going to have two of our own crew man the ropes to keep people back. It will be cool when it goes down, but there is a sketch factor involved. The jump isn't bad but the fans are the X factor.

braaaap

Chimp
Feb 27, 2007
Utard
Just a quick update...Dave Beeson and I (Ben Craner) did the halftime show this weekend. It went off without any problems. The jump ended up being about a 28 foot gap.
It was a great excuse to promote our sport in a positive light (In front of 15,630 people) and make some money to support my race season. I felt like a rock star for about 20 minutes.
Here is a link with helmet cam footage as well as some still shots. I am hoping to have more images sometime this week.

Let me know what you think Monkeys!
http://www.ride-it.net/utahraceseries/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=611#611

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...Woo.

:rolleyes:

Ya always gott ruin it don't ya? :biggrin:

That was fu@king SICK.

I gotta watch it again.

:thumb: :thumb:

EDIT: You guys are my new heroes.

The announcer really did a good job of giving you guys an intro and firing up the crowd. :)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
that was great, especially spinning around a couple of times before getting on the bike in the vid... :D

braaaap

Chimp
Feb 27, 2007
Utard
that was great, especially spinning around a couple of times before getting on the bike in the vid... :D
It looks like I am spinning in circles...but I am actually riding my bike back and forth...That cheap camera doesn't do well with depth perception. It was a riot. Angel Fire this next weekend isn't goint to seem so bad. After riding in front of 16K fans...300 at a race is nothin'! The photos and video do not do that jump any justice. It was big. (Think of the rock cliff drop at Durango...then add about 10 feet and stairs)
If any of you are going to Angel Fire....stop by the Go-Ride team trailer. I am the rider with the custom painted lid that looks like my user icon. (Yellow/ black and orange red trim).

braaaap

Chimp
Feb 27, 2007
Utard
That rocked, nice job guys!

I'd like to see a different vid from say like at floor level or something.
The Delta Center and Utah Blaze staff had several photographers on the main floor level. I should have all of the jumbo-tron footage as well as the local tv footage within the next few days. I am told that they have nearly every angle.
I will post ASAP.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
ha, i was at the game. i think i talked to one of the guys before the game...sorry bro, i missed it, i was actually in the tunnels talking to the cheerleaders, but my buddies said yall did great

braaaap

Chimp
Feb 27, 2007
Utard
That was nuts. Damn I would've been so nervous trying that! Were you?
I was nervous as hell...But when it came time to get serious and ride... I was super focused and ready to get it over with. I remember getting to the bottom and just missing the camera man...after that it felt great. That's when I let out the big yahoo and enjoyed myself. It's crazy how much energy you can feel out on that floor.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Holy fack. I was nervous as hell just waiting for you to roll. Awesome stuff.

I too would like to hang a flag on Woo and shove sparklers up his butt while he did that too. :D

Seriously - huge props to both of you.