Quantcast

Riding "Right" aways

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Ok,

So now that I don't live in the great state of MT where everything is hunky dory and people don't get all pissy with every little last thing...maybe someone could objectively explain the rider up has the right away vs the rider down "THEORY"...I mean, don't we all earn our climb for the "EPIC" downhill portion of the ride?

I'm not trying to start the WW III here, I just believe that I work my @ss off getting up to the top of my ride, when I'm going down, the last thing I want is someone to attempt to stick a stick in my spokes because I don't know some universal rule of the city people. Last I checked, were all out freely riding our bikes.

Oh and as far as other users go, I yield to hikers, walkers, horse backers, etc. To make it clear as well, most of my encounters have been friendly with both parties yielding or one yields before the other "HAPPILY". However, the other day some guy had the nerve to threaten me when I clearly called out "Coming through" so I wanted to see what the PC way of the trail is and WHY! I don't take likely to threats, especially when I'm on a ride trying to relieve stress and other worldly issues.

Flame away...hopefully someone will objectively speak. Meaning, no subdivisions of the same sport ie freeriders vs Downhillers vs XC vs Roadies. We all have two wheels, a chain and crankset with pedals the last time I checked.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
It must be nice to have epic climbs & epic downhills. But yeah....yield to those climbing or ride a directional specific trail.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
If you want to learn about how it is there's a great thread in the beginners lounge.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93077&page=1&pp=15

you just need to learn more of how it is, you're not in montana anymore where the reason things are so great is because nobody lives there....
Just use common sense, every situation is different. If someone is threatening you in the middle of nowhere, i think that's downright dumb and really uncalled for. But you telling the guy "coming thru" and assuming he want's to yeild to you when your the one who's supposed to yeild, well that's pretty dumb too. The rules are the rules, and the world doesn't revolve around you.
And yes i understand the rules don't apply to DH race trails and/or freeride trails and dj's. And yes i understand I.M.B.A. rules are extremely generalized. But your on a multi use trail dude......
People should realize that what you do on the trail, you are representing ALL mt. bikers, and we have to co-sign for it. If you ride like a dick and cause people to yell at you like a dick, pretty soon we'll all be dicks.....

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
laura said:
i dont yeild to nobody :blah:
That's cuz your T.B.B.XC baby yah!

TN said:
It must be nice to have epic climbs & epic downhills.
Yes yes it is..... :thumb:
but having a broken leg and knowing the snow is gonna cover em soon..... :( :nopity:

When is Ridemonkey's most famous couple gonna come out here and ride?

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Well as I stated last night when I posted this, I'd like objective comments. No one said anything about riding like a dick, I always take it situation by situation. If I can roll up to the left or right when I'm going down to pass around the uphill climber then that's what I'll do, if I have to stop because its dangerous for both of us to try and pass each other, then that's what I do. If the trail is somewhat easy going and both parties can slow down to pass one another, then that's what happens. THis is the first time I've ever had anyone "B!tch" at me" for calling out the direction I'm going. I mean, here's the scenario:

I'm coming down Tiger Mtn. for those of you who know it and I come to this section where you bomb down through a ravenne and half to use your momentum to get you up the other side around a stump. So I'm coming down the trail and I see this guy climbing about 50 yards out so I see that two of my other friends had already passed him and i'm trailing behind a bit. So he rounds this corner and looks up at me as I've already seen him and slowed way down to see what he's going to do, so he acts as if he's going to stop so I tell him "Coming thru" and proceed to decend into the ravenne and come up the other side. Well this is a blind spot once you decend down so as I come up the other side to round the stump he's right in the fricken trail. So I use my speed to do the hillside wall ride to avoid him and then almost eat sh!t coming back in but pulled it off and this prick has the nerve to call me out when he knows clearly whos at fault. I'm sorry but I use the best judgment out of my friends when it comes to this type of scenario's and I clearly had the right away. So I told him if he's going to be a d!ck that he should follow me to the parking lot so we can discuss it...cuz I'd of love to whoop his fvckin @ss for his righteous thoughts of generalization.

I understand if the trail is sketchy and the rider is on his way up, I would stop and pull off or I would slow way down to trials speeds to get by on one side. But this was different and some people think that that general rule applies to everything. I guess I'll just be bringing some protection when I ride alone. It's funny, I had to bring bear spray when I rode in MT for "BEARS" so I guess I'll have to bring it here for city pricks!

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
I wouldn't sweat it too much. Yeah, generally downhill yields to uphill, but just like Skookum said (and you seem to have a good grasp of), use your head..... On a place like Tiger, you're going to find more than your share of self-righteous pricks going both directions.... although calling someone out never really helps the situation. Generally speaking - you were in the wrong although he didn't help the situation.

I actually got bitched at once by a guy going downhill because I pulled off to the side to let him go through.... go figure.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
WARider said:
It's funny, I had to bring bear spray when I rode in MT for "BEARS" so I guess I'll have to bring it here for city pricks!
It's upsetting that you don't seem to be having a lot of luck lately WaRider. Seems like the most recent threads you've been posting that the world is against you. Funny i've ridden at Tiger for years and i've never had conflict with anyone. It's a crowded trail on weekends though, i'll give you that. That's why i usually always ride it during weekdays.
Keep yer mace holstered coyboy, there are "tiger's" up there that you may need to save your pepper juice for.....

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Skookum said:
It's upsetting that you don't seem to be having a lot of luck lately WaRider. Seems like the most recent threads you've been posting that the world is against you. Funny i've ridden at Tiger for years and i've never had conflict with anyone. It's a crowded trail on weekends though, i'll give you that. That's why i usually always ride it during weekdays.
Keep yer mace holstered coyboy, there are "tiger's" up there that you may need to save your pepper juice for.....
I think someone put out a thread to flame me whenever I post. It's all good though, it just shows how lame some people really are...(Lord Dopie)

I could care less really what most of these people say on here because they don't know me, they are just on here to start up some drama for their boring day at the desk.

Like I originally posted, something objective for replying would be helpful, I've still yet to see anything that makes any rational sense.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
WARider, how many times can you respond to the same couple comments? Leave it alone. If he's so lame, the he shouldn't be worth all of your time to type these responses.

Frankly, there is never a situation where someone climbing a hill should have to yield to someone who's going down. You have the benefit of gravity helping you - the other guy is working. "I need the momentum" is bullsh!t - you climbed your ass up the hill, climb a little more.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
WARider said:
Like I originally posted, something objective for replying would be helpful, I've still yet to see anything that makes any rational sense.
Haha i only see common sense thrown your way, and nothing but snide remarks, and refusal to listen from you in return, on this thread and every other thread you rub people wrong. i'm gonna start calling you Chairman of the Board.....

i'm definately throwing rocks at you next time i see you. :p

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Skookum said:
Haha i only see common sense thrown your way, and nothing but snide remarks, and refusal to listen from you in return, on this thread and every other thread you rub people wrong. i'm gonna start calling you Chairman of the Board.....

i'm definately throwing rocks at you next time i see you. :p
yup. come with a chip on your shoulder (but everyone should have LOVED my illegal trails! shut up if you don't! why are xcers unreasonable? why does imba have this ridiculous right of way rule of thumb?) and then you will receive no love

LordOpie said:
you're an idiot or more to the point, imagine stopping every time during your climb so someone like you could bomb past.
totally. i don't ride cross country. i am into downhill and freeride. but i think that someone having to bail off the trail to avoid getting pounded by a downward-bound human torpedo is just not the right idea.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
In defense of WARider, I understand his frustration.

WAR, do you have any designated DH trails there? What about the ski resorts?

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Moderator edit: This is your warning. If you want to continue to post here, follow the rules.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Please try to act like adults.

For the record, people riding uphill have the right of way. Maybe there was some rare situation where it was inconvenient for you. Suck it up, 99.9999% of the time it's the right thing to do.

The fact that someone was a dick to you on the trail has nothing to do with right of way. Maybe you were the 15th downhiller to pull that crap while he was trying to climb that hill. You don't know.

By any chance are you an IMBA member?

J

JRB

gastrocnemius said:
No. If I did, I would have written that I could care less, thereby indicating there was a degree of care to begin with. The presumption, of course, is that there's no such thing as a negative care value.

Oh contraire - you indicate that you care with the use of a double negative.

I couldn't care less means, subtract the less, carry the not, meaning you care more than ever. Good job on the right of way though. Many people go through life wondering what the R.O.W. is and why they can't park on it. :thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
loco-gringo said:
Oh contraire - you indicate that you care with the use of a double negative.

I couldn't care less means, subtract the less, carry the not, meaning you care more than ever.
I couldn't care less, means you could not care less. Which means there is no possible way, in the world, you could possibly care less than you do about the subject. Indicating that you don't care at all, of course, because you can't have less than nothing, right?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
"I couldn't care less" is not a double negative. "Less" isn't a negative term; it's a comparative term.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
It appears that this thread DOES have some value (after the first page and a half) - and WARider - if you're still reading this, you're lucky that the climbing rider just b1tched at you after the way you acted toward him, you really might want to carry bear spray - for your own sake, if you can't learn to keep your testosterone in check - many of us aren't as patient as the guy you ran across.

J

JRB

Fine - once again I started a debate about false information. Sorry.

J

JRB

Echo said:
Well it was about the most entertaining thing about this thread :p

Oh and it's "Au contraire" :D

I know, you'd think 3 years of French in HS and I could remember that. Spanish is too prevelant here for me to do so though.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
WARider said:
So I'm coming down the trail and I see this guy climbing about 50 yards out so I see that two of my other friends had already passed him and i'm trailing behind a bit. So he rounds this corner and looks up at me as I've already seen him and slowed way down to see what he's going to do, so he acts as if he's going to stop so I tell him "Coming thru" and proceed to decend into the ravenne and come up the other side. Well this is a blind spot once you decend down so as I come up the other side to round the stump he's right in the fricken trail.
Sounds like you made an assumption about what this guy was going to do, and you were wrong in your assumption. Just because you assumed that someone was going to do one thing and then does another does not make you right. If there was a blind spot in the trail, you should have waited until he cleared it. Sorry, but unless you actually see the guy stop to let you buy, he's got the right of way. At least, that's the way I see it.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
pixelninja said:
Sounds like you made an assumption about what this guy was going to do, and you were wrong in your assumption. Just because you assumed that someone was going to do one thing and then does another does not make you right. If there was a blind spot in the trail, you should have waited until he cleared it. Sorry, but unless you actually see the guy stop to let you buy, he's got the right of way. At least, that's the way I see it.
WTF?

YOU'RE THE BIGGEST OFFENDER ON THE FRONT RANGE. YOU RIDE MORE AGGRESSIVE THAN MARIO ANDRETTI! YOU RAN ME OFF THE TRAIL WHEN WE MET. YOU BROKE MY FORK!

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
LordOpie said:
WTF?

YOU'RE THE BIGGEST OFFENDER ON THE FRONT RANGE. YOU RIDE MORE AGGRESSIVE THAN MARIO ANDRETTI! YOU RAN ME OFF THE TRAIL WHEN WE MET. YOU BROKE MY FORK!
Yeah, well, that's cause I OWN you, biatch! I give the right of way to everyone else...

;)