Quantcast

Rim blew apart...JRA. New wheel suggestions?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I went to go put my new brakes on the bike this morning and found this....

The sidewall of the rim in three spots has stretched and separated from main body of the rim. What the heck mate? :banghead:

Any suggestions on new rims?

Whats the consensus here, do I rebuild these or just get new wheels? The hubs are Hope Pro 2's and still work fine.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I went to go put my new brakes on the bike this morning and found this....

The sidewall of the rim in three spots has stretched and separated from main body of the rim. What the heck mate? :banghead:

Any suggestions on new rims?

Whats the consensus here, do I rebuild these or just get new wheels? The hubs are Hope Pro 2's and still work fine.

After closer inspection, I believe I have located the source of your troubles:

You ride entirely too much for those rims.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Those rims have been awesome.......right up until last night.

I wasn't even on the bike when it happened. :busted:
Fatigue from hacktastic riding.

Edit: this was once the go to douchey response from a certain monkey. + Rep for anyone who remembers.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I don't think I've ever seen a rim fail like that. WTF are SunRingle doing over there for cripesakes??!??1?1?!??

edit: I have nothing helpful to add.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I don't think I've ever seen a rim fail like that. WTF are SunRingle doing over there for cripesakes??!??1?1?!??

edit: I have nothing helpful to add.
When I take the tire off I will take better pictures. It actually failed in the exact same way, on both sides and in two spots on the rim.

Maybe the weld seam going around the rim in the center of the rim strip area failed?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Based on this, I'd say the rest of the bike is about to fail. Use this opportunity to justify to yourself and/or your significant other how you need that new carbon superbike, in the name of safety.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@StiHacka the rim had a slight wobble, but nothing crazy. I have been riding on it with 31 spokes for a few months, though.

Based on this, I'd say the rest of the bike is about to fail. Use this opportunity to justify to yourself and/or your significant other how you need that new carbon superbike, in the name of safety.
I wish...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Got crack?

Crack #1.

Crack #2.

As you can see, there is no seam in the middle of the tire bead area. Upon closer inspection, these rims are two pieces; one piece holds the spoke area and the other portion (which is what cracked off) is the sidewall or bead area.

Oh well. I've had these for 5 years and have ridden them through everything, including Bromont and local DH hills, without needing to be trued.

I swear this happened while the bike was just sitting there in my shed...

Last edited: