Quantcast

Rim Indecision

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by Unimog, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Unimog

Unimog Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I need a new rear wheel (36 hole) and am thinking about the Sun MTX and the Mavic EX729. I am also wondering if a Hadley hub is worth the extra $220 over the shimano deore. Any opinions?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. MisterMental

MisterMental Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    try hunt down a tioga DH rim cause i really like them failing that the mavic, i run one of each and havnt had an problems

as for the hubs a cartridge bearing, freehub servicable hub is a lot better than deore it doesnt have to be a hadley or as expensive as a hadley. there are loads of good alternatives out there.

3. Unimog

Unimog Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I am interested in the hadley because it is convertible from 10mm(what I have now) to 12mm for my next bike. Are there any other hubs that do this? My one concern is that I cracked a d521 because of the harder alloy, sun rims have a softer alloy so they only dent or flatspot and are still rideable. By the way I weigh 155 without gear and am fairly hard on rims. I can get either rim for about the same price so the only issue is which is stronger and will last longer.

4. mack

mack Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Mtx. :thumb:

5. MisterMental

MisterMental Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    check out hope hubs too. i dont know about the prices over there but they are very well priced over here compared to hadley

6. Unimog

Unimog Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Are the hope hubs convertible?

7. frznnomad

frznnomad Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    first of all what kinda bikde is the hub going on. next i would say hadley is your best bet, they have put a lot of time and money into there convertable hubs. im not saying that hopes are bad but i would just trust the hadley more.

ohh and for rims id either go with the 729 or the 823 just depends on what you want. the 823 are going to save you weight because of the soul fact that you go tubless.

8. buildyourown

buildyourown Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Hadley hubs are worth the money. Especially over deore. Consider it an investment that will last through several frames. And because it's convertable, you'll always be able to make it fit.

Deore hubs are disposable, and priced accordingly.

For rims, I've had great results with the MTX. I'm also a long time user of WTB DH rims.

9. dhkid

dhkid Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    you could look at it that way, but i bet that d521 took loads of bashing before it cracked. i have a pair of rhyno lites, and rims flat spotting really blows. firstly, you have to retention the spokes every time the rims flat spots. and secondly they flat spot really easy, my rear isn't round anymore, and my front has about 2 bad flat spots. thats with about 1+ year or riding, i am really light too (110lbs). oh yea, when you rim isn't round anymore, it wont work with stans if you are thinking about tubeless in the future.

10. BigDawd

BigDawd Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    DT Swiss FR 6.10's on hadley hubs. Done.

My next wheelset ;)

11. Unimog

Unimog Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    BigDawd-Tell me more about the DT Swiss FR 6.10's

dhkid-I have rhyno lites and they can't be compared to MTX's, I went through 2 Rhyno lites in one week on my hardtail.

frznnomad-these will be going on a kona stinky dee-lux, and maybe in the future a Sinister R9 or a Turner Dhr, both also 135mm spacing

12. BigDawd

BigDawd Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Just over 600gr per. 25mm wide. 24mm tall. Look good too. I was going to run 729's but these are lighter and just as strong. Nice stuff.

Sam Hill runs them too (or was. I think he's running some proto's EX 5.10's or something now).

(Sorry if this is improper RM linking)

http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fuseaction=rims.bikedetail&id=11

13. julian_dh

julian_dh Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    i just built a sick wheel for my orange chris king 12mmx150mm with yellow rhyno lite xl see how the rim holds up next season cause its only like 450g so the wheel is super light.

14. dhkid

dhkid Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    i was just comparing it to the 521 which is kinda the same weight, but i still think that the mavic rims are better.

15. frznnomad

frznnomad Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    okay unimog. problem solved deffinatly go with hadley hubs. spend the extra doe on them now and keep them for many many seasons of hard abusive riding. isnt the stinky a 12mm bolt thru in the rear or am i just imagining things. if so there isnt much need for the conversion kit but its still nice. okay man glad we could help. :thumb:

16. blt2ride

blt2ride Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    A Hadley hub is well worth the money. Check out www.jensonusa.com, they had a rear Hope for $120 and one of my friends picked up a Ringle for $120.

17. DH SB RIDER

DH SB RIDER Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I onely know that the hope front is convertable to a quick release or a thru axle.....get a ex 823 duh

18. MisterMental

MisterMental Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    yeah bulbs are convertable, not sure about the new pro II's

19. jackalope

jackalope Mental acuity - 1%

Rep/Likes:
    242 / 1,562
    For what it's worth, I had a set of DT 6.10 FR's and they were pretty soft IMO...Profile and width are good, but I flat spotted the ever living hell outta my rear whilst in BC (actually, I creased the damn thing)...I have to admit tho, I was running some crazy low pressure due to way wet conditions the first day...So it did make it through the trip, only to be replaced by a 729 upon return to the States...However, I'm still running the front wheel, and it's been fine...The rear DT Swiss hub (Hugi I think) has been flawless - great engagement and doesn't get loose...

In addition, a pro mech friend of mine said some of the pros who were running them at Anglefire were blowing them up practically every other run...But who knows, they may do that to all the wheelsets they run...But another industry buddy indicated that a lot of pros liked the fact that they were pretty soft as it apparently reduced the number of pinch flats...So there ya go :D

Btw, don't ever buy Deores unless you're gunna sell a bike and just need something to slap on it...Hadleys all the way IMO...

20. rpet

rpet Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    22 / 219
    also, the DTs have "visually exciting graphics."

-r

21. BigDawd

BigDawd Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0

Interesting info. Thanks. Might still be looking at the 729's then. lol

22. Unimog

Unimog Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    So is the 729 stronger than a MTX? I am not really interested in anything lighter, it would only last me a month at the outside and I am not too bothered by weight. I think I will go with the hadley and the stinky is a qr not 12mm unfortunately.

23. Fulton

Fulton Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0

12 x 150 king? how is this?

24. BigDawd

BigDawd Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Yes, please explain.... Didn't think they had anything over 135mm???

25. dhkid

dhkid Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    i heard that brake therapy can do the conversion. but i am not sure how true that is. but then my LBS has converted the qr 135mm model king into a 12x150mm for a couple of vp-frees. i think it would be much havier then say a hadley but if you really want to use the king on it, it can be done. he machined out a axel to fit insde the hub and just just used a getto spacer for the disc brake rotor.

26. Unimog

Unimog Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Okay, I think I am going to go 36-hole Sun MTX on a 36-hole Hadley. Should I go 36 or 108 point engagement on the Hadley?