Quantcast

Rims...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Well that went south quickly! Get some infernos and build them up... check your tension is even, done!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Also, I should point out that I'd get infernos over stans even if the price was the same. I like the eyelets and the build quality is tops.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
All my empirical data was a hoax.

Hahahaha

As soon as I landed and heard the wheel burp I just knew I was tasting foot...

This is easier than you thought!

stick 'em on your wife's bike and keep riding them original wheels ;)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Get used to half pedaling out of turns with a high engagement hub, then try the same with a low engagement hub. Its infuriating.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Well....

They lasted about 2 miles. Landed sideways on a quirky drop and knocked the back seriously out of true. It could be the wheelbuilder (me) or it could be fate. Is it irony? Whatever it is, it's pretty damned funny.

I tried and tired to get back true but I had to pull it so far that it looked like a square when I was done. Ugh.
Uh huh...:rofl:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Get used to half pedaling out of turns with a high engagement hub, then try the same with a low engagement hub. Its infuriating.
Are Hope hubs really that bad. I my be engagement insensitive :)

I have always like my DT Swiss hubs no idea if they are engagement approved.

Why not move the Stans rim from the Hope wheelset and then sell the hub?

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
I'm pretty big and I've been really happy with my 26" Chinese carbon rims laced with db spokes and hope hubs. Carbon rims can be tensioned pretty high compared to aluminum rims. I had my friend who builds wheels tension them because he has a tension meter.

Rims where $150 a peice but I've not destroyed one yet.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That has caused me to go down in flames many times.
Strange story from winter, I was consistently able to pedal through turns were the other elite/pro riders could not. This seemed to give me a significant advantage with a few races won and some top-5s. I know there's more too it, but this is one area where it was obvious, as I'd continue spinning through the turn, they'd coast, I'd pull away/ahead. Over time and a race, this got to be significant. I was always running 4.7 tires, 90mm rims, and studded tires, vs. the usual choice of 65 or 80mm rims and 4" tires, sometimes (usually, but not always) studded. I took a hit with rotating weight(although not huge with carbon and revolution spokes) and gyroscopic force and being able to turn as tight, but I seemed to gain the ability to continue pedaling throughout most, if not all of the turn, which seemed like a real advantage.

Was doing that two nights ago in sucklahoma with their tight-flowey trails. Kind of worked there too, but like you say, you can't do it too much otherwise you'll fall on your ass.

Strange story from winter, I was consistently able to pedal through turns were the other elite/pro riders could not. This seemed to give me a significant advantage with a few races won and some top-5s. I know there's more too it, but this is one area where it was obvious, as I'd continue spinning through the turn, they'd coast, I'd pull away/ahead. Over time and a race, this got to be significant. I was always running 4.7 tires, 90mm rims, and studded tires, vs. the usual choice of 65 or 80mm rims and 4" tires, sometimes (usually, but not always) studded. I took a hit with rotating weight(although not huge with carbon and revolution spokes) and gyroscopic force and being able to turn as tight, but I seemed to gain the ability to continue pedaling throughout most, if not all of the turn, which seemed like a real advantage.

Was doing that two nights ago in sucklahoma with their tight-flowey trails. Kind of worked there too, but like you say, you can't do it too much otherwise you'll fall on your ass.
Got it. I was referring to summer riding.In winter I don't get leaned over as much.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
What @profro is getting at is that instant engagement allows you to accelerate out of corners much like punching the gas in the apex of the corner to make the car hold a better line. The difference between a hub like the I9 and one with less engagement points is like riding a rigid fork vs any modern suspension fork.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
I just try to go fast enough in corners that the drivetrain wouldn't engage anyway.

Pedalin's fer fairies.
pumpin' > pedalin'. especially if you have a nice short/mid travel bike with bitchin' geo™.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What @profro is getting at is that instant engagement allows you to accelerate out of corners much like punching the gas in the apex of the corner to make the car hold a better line. The difference between a hub like the I9 and one with less engagement points is like riding a rigid fork vs any modern suspension fork.
I know, it's like riding boost vs. non-boost. Totally unridabru.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
King's are pretty quiet, too.

High engagement hubs are a luxury, not a necessity, but goddamn are they nice to ride. I feel like I'm slumming it when I have to run my spare wheel with a 40t Hope instead of my I9.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Late to the party question: Are there good quick engagement hubs that don't sound like a knitting party when freewheeling?

Edit: Good and reliable...

If it's going on a fat bike, definitely hope evos.

Super high engagement and totally silent.

If it's going on a mountain bike just stay away from hope evos. Pretty noticeable blank spot before engagement and loud as shit.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Woody loves his anodized Stealth hub, Sandwich loves hid powder coated Onyx. I always thought anodizing is more durable but I guess for hubs, it does not really matter much.
considering the weight of those hubs i'd go for the anodizing - should be lighter.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'll go anyways. gonna start looking for new rims for the spitfire.

requirements:

26"
durable
reasonably light (current rims are mavic 325s, so at slightly over 700g each getting lighter than this would be pretty easy)
reasonably cheap.
tubeless ready would be nice.
32 hole (going to lace to current hubs)

spank oozy trail is in that ballpark. HAB mentioned a DT swiss that was about comparable.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
i'll go anyways. gonna start looking for new rims for the spitfire.

requirements:

26"
durable
reasonably light (current rims are mavic 325s, so at slightly over 700g each getting lighter than this would be pretty easy)
reasonably cheap.
tubeless ready would be nice.
32 hole (going to lace to current hubs)

spank oozy trail is in that ballpark. HAB mentioned a DT swiss that was about comparable.
I'll just keep saying it... sun inferno, I use the 27mm width. Also comes in 29 and 31mm.