Quantcast

Riots in Oakland

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
There is another vid from the door directly in front of the incident. You can see the officer's reaction before and after.

He didn't seem angry beforehand, and he definitely had a "Oh, Sh*t" look afterwards.

Yeah, that was the video I watched first.
The cops reaction afterwards was telling.
He looked absolutely shocked.
I am leaning toward the cop being borderline retarded more so than pure evil.
I mean either way he should be punished and never should be able to get within a 100 yards of a gun for the rest of his idiot life.
But it looked like the perp was struggling on the ground trying to avoid the cuffs, and the cop stood up like he was going to tazer him, then shot him, and reacted like, WTF just happened, I didn't mean to do that.

Or maybe its just me not wanting to believe in that kind of evil.
I have certainly met way more stupid people than evil in my life.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
I mean either way he should be punished and never should be able to get within a 100 yards of a gun for the rest of his idiot life.
What about Inprisoned for the rest of his life for killing someone....

You called the dead guy a PERP, i call him a VICTIM.... are you a cop?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
^^^ again, it's more feel than look.

4 lbs -vs- 1 lb even if they have the same frame / form factor

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
The fact that the guy Quit and Skipped being intereviewd shows his guilt....

"We had a meeting scheduled for him to talk, and his attorney and a union rep came in his place and dropped off a letter of resignation instead," Johnson said. "It's interesting, because he was supposed to be talking for the administrative
part of our investigation, which is privileged information and couldn't have been used in any criminal investigation anyway."
http://www.mercurynews.com/localnews/ci_11394377

He needs to be sent to Pelican Bay for the rest of his life.... and put in General Populations liek the other killers and murderers and rapists......

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop

Well that is because he was being arrested for fighting on a subway train in the middle of the night. You can call him, EARTH ANGEL, if it makes you feel fuzzy inside.
And the cop should be punished the same whether it was idiocy or pure evil.
So yeah, let the courts decide.
And who knows, maybe Creative African Braids on 14th St. had it coming.:brow:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I am leaning toward the cop being borderline retarded more so than pure evil.
Me too. And for those who say it's easy to tell the difference, consider that they had just started using tasers, they were vastly outnumbered, they had been working in a high-stress situation for hours, weapons had been recovered at other incidents in the area that night, it was a chaotic situation, etc.

I am NOT defending what happened. The shooting should not have occurred, there is no question in my mind about that, and all of this discussion does not change the fact that Oscar Grant is dead. But there is a big difference between an accident and an intentional execution. It boils down to intent.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Evidence the cop new he had a gun and not a taser...

Exibit A and B

BART police use YELLOW Tasers not black ones.... as shown in this image....

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
as a fallout from this, i hope they embed tasers into hulk gloves, just so every knows what's happening in these cell phone vids

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
as a fallout from this, i hope they embed tasers into hulk gloves, just so every knows what's happening in these cell phone vids
lol

We all joke around, but i have to say this is messed up situation for the Victim and the Cop's family....

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have little to add other than that guy was pretty much executed.

edit: I see nothing that looked to require anywhere near that kind of use of force. The guy was on his stomach and even if he wasn't being cooperative, I can't imagine how the cop that shot could feel that anyone's life was in jeopardy.

Last edited:

Monkey
"The mob smashed the windows at Creative African Braids on 14th Street, and a woman walked out of the shop holding a baby in her arms. "

Hell Yeah!!
Take that Whitey!!!
WTF:crazy:
I feel like the night is going great," said Nia Sykes, 24, of San Francisco, one of the demonstrators. "I feel like Oakland should make some noise. This is how we need to fight back. It's for the murder of a black male."

Sykes, who is black, had little sympathy for the owner of Creative African Braids.

"She should be glad she just lost her business and not her life," Sykes said. She added that she did have one worry for the night: "I just hope nobody gets shot or killed."

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS

Absolutely he should, and will be punished.

Should these idiot thugs riot because of it??? Hell no.

One of my best friends is a swat cop and will make no bones about the guy being retarded, as will manimal, I'm sure, but spouting off about how much you know about tazers and cops is stupid. I spent an out in a cop store in Austin on Monday, and I can assure you that the police tazers and sidearms can resemble one another. That said, I also played with a lot of holsters and seeing how many safety devices they have to keep a "perp" from unholstering an officer's gun, I would be inclined to be more tipped off by that.

All of that said, the thread is about riots. Sure the cop is stupid, but I say again, so is rioting.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
I have little to add other than that guy was pretty much executed.

edit: I see nothing that looked to require anywhere near that kind of use of force. The guy was on his stomach and even if he wasn't being cooperative, I can't imagine how the cop that shot could feel that anyone's life was in jeopardy.
You know, if I'm a cop and someone is fighting me, the instant he manages to get my gun, the situation dramatically changes. Not saying that's what happened here, but criminals lose some rights in my opinion. If you do what the police ask you to do, right or wrong, you are most likely going to be fine. If you fight, those odds change. We're adults and should know that by now.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
the instant he manages to get my gun
Maybe you meant something different, but Oscar Grant did not get anyone's gun. He was unarmed, face down on the train platform, and it looked like he was in police control when he was shot.

Anyway, I just walked around the area where the riots took place. A bunch of broken storefront glass (in random places - black, white, and asian-run businesses), a lot of police, and choppers have been flying around all day. Definitely some tension in the air but no protests that I ran into.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Just a newb cop with his finger mistakenly on the trigger while covering the apprehending officer. I learned trigger safety when I was 8, this guy apparently didn't. An inexcusable mistake but in no way an "execution" or murder.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Anyway, I just walked around the area where the riots took place. A bunch of broken storefront glass (in random places - black, white, and asian-run businesses), a lot of police, and choppers have been flying around all day. Definitely some tension in the air but no protests that I ran into.
My question is what did you last night? Fight a cop or burn a car?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
An inexcusable mistake but in no way an "execution" or murder.
Unfortunately the status of "inexcusable mistake" goes up when someone is shot in the back and killed.

It's incredibly sad. He was very young. Now a little girl will grow up without her father around and the cop that shot him will wear the burden of that mistake for the rest of his life. And it gets dumbed down into a race issue so that people don't have to talk about what a horrible tragedy the whole situation really is. Oscar Grant is no longer Oscar Grant. He is that Black dude that that White dude shot in the back.

Someone should have shot a couple of rioters. **** those thugs. Bull**** rioting has not one ****ing thing to do with racial justice or injustice or any of those ****ing bull**** buzz words people love to throw around when a life has been taken. It has to do with people looking for an excuse to **** **** up, anyone's **** for any reason. It only spreads the pain and suffering and it leaves Oscar Grant a legacy that he did not choose for himself.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Unfortunately the status of "inexcusable mistake" goes up when someone is shot in the back and killed.
I didn't say it wasn't tragic or wrong. The guy who drove home from the bar drunk and killed one of my friends didn't execute him or murder him. He was a dumbass who made a fatal error in judgement. Just like this cop.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

It's incredibly sad. He was very young. Now a little girl will grow up without her father around and the cop that shot him will wear the burden of that mistake for the rest of his life. And it gets dumbed down into a race issue so that people don't have to talk about what a horrible tragedy the whole situation really is. Oscar Grant is no longer Oscar Grant. He is that Black dude that that White dude shot in the back.

Someone should have shot a couple of rioters. **** those thugs. Bull**** rioting has not one ****ing thing to do with racial justice or injustice or any of those ****ing bull**** buzz words people love to throw around when a life has been taken. It has to do with people looking for an excuse to **** **** up, anyone's **** for any reason. It only spreads the pain and suffering and it leaves Oscar Grant a legacy that he did not choose for himself.

Well ****ing said Laura.

I'd be willing to bet that none of the rioters that vandalized store fronts have ever put forth the slightest spec of the amount of hard work and dedication it takes to start and operate a business. They use a tragedy as an excuse to vent their personal jealousy of those who have taken an initiative to better themselves.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I didn't say it wasn't tragic or wrong. The guy who drove home from the bar drunk and killed one of my friends didn't execute him or murder him. He was a dumbass who made a fatal error in judgement. Just like this cop.
And a fatal error in judgement (or manslaughter as I am going to call it) is more than an inexcusable mistake.

ETA IMO getting into a car drunk is like going out with the intention of killing someone. If you don't you are just lucky.

Last edited:

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Maybe you meant something different, but Oscar Grant did not get anyone's gun. He was unarmed, face down on the train platform, and it looked like he was in police control when he was shot.

I'm just stating precautions cops have to take.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
And a fatal error in judgement (or manslaughter as I am going to call it) is more than an inexcusable mistake.
Basically, there is a point at which behavior is so stupid it should be treated in the same way as intentional conduct, even if it was not.

Whether this shooting raises to that level remains to be seen. There are just too many unknown facts right now.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Basically, there is a point at which behavior is so stupid it should be treated in the same way as intentional conduct, even if it was not.

Whether this shooting raises to that level remains to be seen. There are just too many unknown facts right now.
No one we talked with - from the district attorney's office to lawyers who work either side of police shootings - could remember a case in the last 20 years in which an on-duty officer had been charged in a fatal shooting in Alameda County.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/07/BAVT154HIG.DTL

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Again, I agree. That's what the judicial system is for. WTF are you arguing about?