Quantcast

Riots in Oakland

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
You are wrong! Wrong I say!
But what is wrong, really? Let's operationlize it. If you say I am wrong but in my deepest of hearts and most well meaning-est of intetions I feel that I am right, should I be acused of being wrong. No. No ****ing way you facist.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
"I feel like the night is going great," said Nia Sykes, 24, of San Francisco, one of the demonstrators. "I feel like Oakland should make some noise. This is how we need to fight back. It's for the murder of a black male."

Sykes, who is black, had little sympathy for the owner of Creative African Braids.

"She should be glad she just lost her business and not her life," Sykes said. She added that she did have one worry for the night: "I just hope nobody gets shot or killed."

She came from SF to riot...nice. Importing criminals. Go ahead and destroy other blacks businesses and homes, and then blame whitey. That will solve the problem...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I walked by Creative African Braids on my lunch break. There was a broken window, certainly bad, but it didn't look like enough that she would "lose her business". There was also a television interview happening inside, and three more news crews outside waiting.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I walked by Creative African Braids on my lunch break. There was a broken window, certainly bad, but it didn't look like enough that she would "lose her business". There was also a television interview happening inside, and three more news crews outside waiting.
Was the broken window just big enough to reach into and grab the weave of your choice?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
W00t W00t free publicity.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Apparently there is a protest staring now at City Hall (a block away). I am seeing lots of cops moving that way and constant horn blaring. I need to ride BART back to SF and I think I'm going to leave early...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Boy o boy oakland is a fun place to be working right now....not
When that "peacefull" protest march turned into a riot with burning cop cars, teargas, riot cops etc. My partner and I along with our ambulance patient almost got caught up in the middle of it but oakland pd stopped them about a block from us. More crap went on today. We have driven down streets with burned out cars, riot police everywhere. We are staying out of the area tonight

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Apparently there is a protest staring now at City Hall (a block away). I am seeing lots of cops moving that way and constant horn blaring. I need to ride BART back to SF and I think I'm going to leave early...
I would take a half-day...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
That should make it all better:

(01-08) 20:41 PST -- The man who organized Wednesday's BART police protest said he broke down in tears when he saw his peaceful march turn violent as some participants began throwing bottles, spitting on police cars and setting small fires.

Evan Shamar said he left the demonstration and watched on television as the situation got worse.

"I was devastated by it," said Shamar, 24, a photographer who lives in Oakland. "I worked diligently for the past 72 hours, and for it to be destroyed by a group of anarchists was extremely upsetting. I felt like my integrity had been compromised."
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/09/MNON15696D.DTL

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Pretty smooth last night. Apparently a protest was nipped in the bud before anything approaching the other night could get going. When I left work there were a few random groups of young kids running in the street and shouting protest chants. Weirdly most of them looked to be doing for kicks - they were laughing and smiling. Like a lot of people have said, it would be great to them put this much effort into something more positive.

From SF Gate:

"Oakland Police arrested two people tonight and dispersed a crowd of about 100 people at a downtown Oakland demonstration over the fatal shooting of an unarmed man by a BART police officer.

The demonstration, which began around 6 p.m., was about half the size of Wednesday's, which turned violent as protesters wreaked havoc on downtown.

Tonight, police in riot gear quickly shut down Broadway between 12th and 16th Streets after protesters began stopping cars and buses and threw trash cans into the middle of the street. One woman protested by urinating in the middle of the street. Some protesters carried signs that read, "No justice, no peace." Others carried candles."

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
One woman protested by urinating in the middle of the street. Some protesters carried signs that read, "No justice, no pee." Others carried candles."
Fixed!

I'll show you, I'll just squat and pee my name in the street...oh wait..they can't.:redface:

phingerhex

Chimp
Mar 3, 2006
oakland/pacifica
i was happy not to hear the 5 helis and 1 DRONE flying above my around my apt building last night.

kind of a small little riot, i would have hoped for more.

oh well, next time

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Or just take all of tomorrow off...

BART police wrapped up their preliminary investigation today of the officer-involved shooting early New Year's Day of an unarmed man in Oakland and have forwarded the case to the Alameda County district attorney's office, officials said.

The decision on whether former Officer Johannes Mehserle will face criminal prosecution in the shooting death of 22-year-old Oscar Grant of Hayward now rests with prosecutors, said BART General Manager Dorothy Dugger.

"Now it is the district attorney's responsibility to decide whether to file charges in this case," Dugger said at a hastily arranged news conference at BART headquarters in Oakland. "We urge the district attorney to expeditiously review all the evidence available to him and bring this investigation to a conclusion."

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I hear the protest move to SF today. Hope I can get home w/o getting shot in the back.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

:rofl:

Westy and Jeremy, there's a new kid in town, and he is FUNNY.
Has he met Montashu yet? There's a pair for ya...

I liked the PAWN thread on this better.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Lets just say this will be the Bay Area's version of the Rodney King Riots if no charges are filed...

ahh young one

I see that you were not culturally aware back then. Things did get ugly in Oakland post verdict.

I drove like I was playing GTA to get the hell out of town that day after the crowds started beating on the side of my truck [homey don't play Reginal Denny]

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
ahh young one

I see that you were not culturally aware back then. Things did get ugly in Oakland post verdict.

I drove like I was playing GTA to get the hell out of town that day after the crowds started beating on the side of my truck [homey don't play Reginal Denny]
I was not in California in the last century. I had forgotten that many cities were on riot watch, but I didn't realize Oaktown was on fire.

However, both sides of the Bay will explode this time...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
(01-14) 00:13 PST Oakland -- The BART police officer who fatally shot an unarmed man on an Oakland train platform and then refused to explain his actions to investigators was arrested Tuesday in Nevada on suspicion of murder, authorities said.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
(01-14) 00:13 PST Oakland -- The BART police officer who fatally shot an unarmed man on an Oakland train platform and then refused to explain his actions to investigators was arrested Tuesday in Nevada on suspicion of murder, authorities said.
darn, i guess all of the bay area "activists" will have to get back to work now. by "work" i mean, smelling of patchouli and/or doing nothing beneficial for society ;)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
darn, i guess all of the bay area "activists" will have to get back to work now. by "work" i mean, smelling of patchouli and/or doing nothing beneficial for society ;)
I should say, the protest is still on for tonight.

The riot is postponed until the end of the actual trial and if the officer is found innocent.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
The riot is postponed until the end of the actual trial and if the officer is found innocent.

oh good...i was hoping more innocent business people could have their property destroyed. nothing says "we're pissed" like looting and burning stuff :rolleyes:

it's like a 4 year old saying, "if you don't buy me that new toy i'm gonna break all of my other toys just to show you how mad i am!"

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
oh good...i was hoping more innocent business people could have their property destroyed. nothing says "we're pissed" like looting and burning stuff :rolleyes:

it's like a 4 year old saying, "if you don't buy me that new toy i'm gonna break all of my other toys just to show you how mad i am!"
I think a 4 year old has more common sense than a mob.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
so what were the chants like at the protest?

"hey-hey, ho-ho, rookie cops need trigger control!" ?
I liked the signs which said "DISARM BART COPS". I might have pushed for more training, but there are some clueless folk around the Bay Area, FYI.