Quantcast

RIP Nissan Xterra

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
No I just heard about it on some auto forum - I think Edmunds townhall. I haven't bought a car in a while.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
stosh said:
What I owe on the car is pretty much what it's worth.

It's going to be close either way. If they give me the money to fix it I'm just going to pay off the loan and sell it to the junk yard.
the 2 The air bags alone are a lot of money to replace.
2 head lights
2 turn signals
grille
2 fenders
possibly 1 door
2 frame out riggers
1 hood
fan on the front of the radiator
bumper
The front engine compartment unibody took a bad hit too.
that is a shame Stosh... I am pretty bummed for you... did you pick up a rental yet? gotsta have some wheels mang!!!

I like the Xterra's but the MPG for me just doesn't work with how many miles I commute every day... I wish I could have one, but if you get another I will just live vicariously through you! Oh and I like that new Toyota retro FJ40 landcruiser thing they are bringing out... that is pretty sweet to but $$$pensive:drool:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
brungeman said:
that is a shame Stosh... I am pretty bummed for you... did you pick up a rental yet? gotsta have some wheels mang!!!

I like the Xterra's but the MPG for me just doesn't work with how many miles I commute every day... I wish I could have one, but if you get another I will just live vicariously through you! Oh and I like that new Toyota retro FJ40 landcruiser thing they are bringing out... that is pretty sweet to but $$$pensive:drool:
My parents live locally and have 4 cars and 2 drivers so I borrowed one of their cars. I don't have car rental on my insurance plan.
Yeah the Fj's are out of my price range.

The Xterra works great for us, my fiancee only drives 5miles to work. The Xterra is great for hauling all our camping gear and bikes when we go on road trips. I've been very happy with it!!!

J

JRB

stosh said:
Actually, I could probably re-mount the bumper, there are 3 bolts on each side of the bumper that mount the bumper to the frame. 4 of the 6 bolts sheered off.

The engine was still purring like a kitten after we got it. The engine compartment was barely touched.
Your frame is likely not bent, if the bolts sheared. If it is, it's not horribly bent (that, of course is subjective, since any bent sucks and I wouldn't want back) and they can fix it. That's a good reason to not weld bumpers. Were they grade 8 bolts that broke??? It doesn't look like a total to me.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stosh said:
The Xterra works great for us, my fiancee only drives 5miles to work. The Xterra is great for hauling all our camping gear and bikes when we go on road trips. I've been very happy with it!!!
if you need an Xterra to fit yr camping gear, i'd hate to see the size of yr packs.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SkaredShtles said:
Psst - camping is different than backpacking. ;)

I use the same stuff except adding a lantern chair and table, and instead of a Nalgene full of Wild Turkey I bring beer, lots of beer.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Westy said:
I use the same stuff except adding a lantern chair and table, and instead of a Nalgene full of Wild Turkey I bring beer, lots of beer.
Yeah. I used to as well. But now I have a 6-person dome tent, two burner Coleman stove, nice big cushy sleeping pads............. :D

And food. $hitloads of food.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
wow stosh sorry to hear about your misfortune... i am happy to hear that youy and aubrey are ok, as well as the other driver and her baby... i think either way you should dump the car.. it will never run the same even once fixed...
good luck let me know how you make out

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
stosh said:
oh we got a perscription for vicadin, I guess the trip to the ER wasn't all bad. :)
j/k
Dude, stay away from the evil V.

That stuff will really give you the blues.

Sorry about your Nissan but the important thing is you and everyone else is ok.

J

JRB

Hey - can you guys quit hugging stosh and get back to camping, please???

*did you get the cranks, stosh???

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco said:
Hey - can you guys quit hugging stosh and get back to camping, please???

*did you get the cranks, stosh???
Yes I did, they look good. I was hoping I could use the rings from my XT cranks but that doesn't seem to be possible.

J

JRB

stosh said:
Yes I did, they look good. I was hoping I could use the rings from my XT cranks but that doesn't seem to be possible.
Nope - Shimano kind of screwed everyone on XTR rings. If you put chainring bolts in and change the spider, those rings still have a little life in them though. They certainly weren't skipping.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco said:
Nope - Shimano kind of screwed everyone on XTR rings. If you put chainring bolts in and change the spider, those rings still have a little life in them though. They certainly weren't skipping.
Ok I'm a little undecided on what to do at this point. I'll let you know as soon as I figure it out.

J

JRB

stosh said:
Ok I'm a little undecided on what to do at this point. I'll let you know as soon as I figure it out.
Keep any additional money you would send as a contribution to your deductible, once you know what's up with your truck. You will likely need that little bit of cash more than I will, in the near future.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco said:
Keep any additional money you would send as a contribution to your deductible, once you know what's up with your truck. You will likely need that little bit of cash more than I will, in the near future.
Ha, I'll send ya some more money if I want them. Thanks in advance!

J

JRB

stosh said:
Ha, I'll send ya some more money if I want them. Thanks in advance!
Am I not speaking clearly enough??? I am telling you that they are yours. :mumble:

*If you don't use them, just find someone who can.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Stosh - how can you afford an 05 4Runner but not an 07 FJ Cruiser? The FJC are cheaper than the 4Runner... is the 4Runner a demo or something?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
Stosh - how can you afford an 05 4Runner but not an 07 FJ Cruiser? The FJC are cheaper than the 4Runner... is the 4Runner a demo or something?
The FJ's aren't for sale yet.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jacksonpt said:
A 4x4 4Runner is going be be $pendy... but I've heard there are some good discounts on them... don't know how good though.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
Do you have the check from the insurance company yet?

ok then.

;)

true, but you can order them now and have one of the first ones to hit your dealership.
I was looking thru toyota.com, any idea when they're coming in?