Votes: 7 16.7%

• Total voters

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
i just love how now it's ryan's plan, but when it came out, it was bi-partisan
Budget != "Plan"

His budget that he proposed was his and his alone. His 2011 Medicare plan (the one that the Democrats will run against that was released Spring 2011) was his and his alone. The Wyden/Ryan plan was released in December 2011 and was roundly rejected by pretty much all Democrats. (The second plan, the one that Wyden co-sponsored is nowhere near as radical as the one ~6 months earlier that Ryan put out.)

By the way, it's interesting to see that having *one* guy with a (D) after his name makes something "bipartisan"...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
By the way, it's interesting to see that having *one* guy with a (D) after his name makes something "bipartisan"...
he's not just any old D, he makes a mean rue from 3rd trimester leftovers

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Any of the 6 people who voted "for some other guy" change their mind after the Ryan pick? Prospect of gutting Medicare/Social Security for anyone under 55 tempt any monkey's to rethink their protest vote?
Nope.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Interesting. Is there a level that Romney/Ryan could sink to to make you vote Obama, or is it a "refuse to vote for the lesser of two evils" thing?
Honestly, it's almost the refusing to waste a vote on the lesser of two evils. Neither candidate is doing it for me right now. However, there is merit to the adage of the devil you know...

Actually far more concerned about local elections, things that impact me directly like county commishes, school boards, that sort of thing. The Presidential election isn't going to change things one way or the other IMHO.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Dear Dante,
Please refer to the above link as to why neither of the idiots running impress me enough to give one single fvck.

X3pilot

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
black guy calling someone not in his party a racist...news at 11....

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Dear Dante,
Please refer to the above link as to why neither of the idiots running impress me enough to give one single fvck.

X3pilot
So you seriously don't "give one single fvck" about how Obama and Romney differ on:

Payroll tax rates
Federal income tax rates
Income tax deductions
Social Security
Medicare
Medicaid
Military Spending
War with Iran (Syria? Lebanon? N. Korea?)
Abortion rights
Infrastructure (particularly bicycle) spending
etc?

All because some idiot who has a (D) after her name made a stupid comment? Seriously? So if Romney becomes president and the payroll tax goes back up 2% and you lose your mortgage interest deduction just so Romney can force through his across-the-board that's fine? Or we end up in another decade-long "imposition of Democracy" in the Middle East?

Local elections determine my day-to-day life, although most people out here are like-minded. National elections determine whether I'm stuck paying off a $2T little "excursion" that GWB thought was a good idea....

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
So you seriously don't "give one single fvck" about how Obama and Romney differ on:

All because some idiot who has a (D) after her name made a stupid comment? Seriously? So if Romney becomes president and the payroll tax goes back up 2% and you lose your mortgage interest deduction just so Romney can force through his across-the-board that's fine? Or we end up in another decade-long "imposition of Democracy" in the Middle East?

Local elections determine my day-to-day life, although most people out here are like-minded. National elections determine whether I'm stuck paying off a $2T little "excursion" that GWB thought was a good idea....
Not just that, it was an example. It's just pure apathy on my part. It is more of the same regardless of who sits in the Oval Office. If Obama is better for ending the war, why are military members getting killed by Afghan forces they are there to help? Why hasn't he ended that war yet? Romney would certainly fvck up his share of stuff, but where are all the stimulus jobs we spent all that money on? They are all the same, they yap during the campaign, then when in office, become mired in the "holy sh!t, this isn't as easy as I thought" cycle of learning to deal with the Congress, political paybacks, etc.

If someone could possibly explain to me how I am better off than I was 4,8 or 12 years ago by the difference that any politician made, then I'd be impressed.

Right now, I'll stick to my local issues, votes make a difference locally. Pretty sure my county commishes don't get elected by an electoral college, and they decide if the local bike path gets built or not, not Rmoney or Obama. But I do appreciate the passion some of you have for national politics and I do learn a lot reading these posts, so please, don't mind me.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
As we get closer, I get more nervous. I see idiots posting on Facebook about how awesome it will be with Mittens in office. It scares me to think there is enough idiocy/ignorance in this country to vote for someone who has enough flip flops to create roboromney.

Oh wait, Mittens isn't a flip-flopper, he's PROGRESSIVE. :twitch:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
As we get closer, I get more nervous. I see idiots posting on Facebook about how awesome it will be with Mittens in office. It scares me to think there is enough idiocy/ignorance in this country to vote for someone who has enough flip flops to create roboromney.

I guess he had a 'family intervention'...

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1012/82160.html?hp=f2

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

There was a story on NPR this morning about how polling is showing Obama's lead has collapsed after his abysmal debate performance. According to the story, Obama/Romney are statistically dead even. :twitch:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Perhaps some perspective is in order:

Nate Silver, guru of polling over at the NYT, reminds us to keep all of Mitt Romney’s recent polling momentum, post the grand debate, in perspective.

Romney Has a 28% Chance at Victory

Yes, Romney did well during the debate. And yes, it gave him a bump in the polls. So instead of a 13.9% chance of winning before that first debate, Romney now has a 28% chance of winning. That’s a good deal of orward momentum – Nate estimates it as a post-debate bounce of 2.5% – but the bounce may be fading now, and it wasn’t nearly enough to catch up to the President’s lead. A 28% chance of winning is still pretty lousy.

Nate feels that Obama still holds a slight lead nationwide:

First, is it really likely that Mr. Romney leads the race by 4 points right now? The consensus of the evidence, particularly the national tracking polls, would suggest otherwise. Instead, the forecast model’s conclusion is that the whole of the data is still consistent with a very narrow lead for Mr. Obama, albeit one that is considerably diminished since Denver.

The last thing to consider is that the fundamentals of the race aren’t consistent with a 4-point lead for Mr. Romney. Instead, the most recent economic numbers, and Mr. Obama’s approval ratings, would seem to point to an election in which he is the slight favorite. We don’t use approval ratings in our forecast, but we do use the economic data, and both the monthly payrolls report and the broader FiveThirtyEight economic index would point toward an election in which Mr. Obama is favored in the popular vote by around 2.5 percentage points.

How can the candidates be so close in the polls, yet so far apart in terms of their percent chance of winning? Because national polls don’t tell you much about how each candidate is faring in the various states. And, as we all learned far too well in 2000, you can win the national vote and lose the election by losing in the electoral college, i.e., losing in the states.

In Key Swing States, Obama Doing Better Than Romney

Let’s look at the key states that remain in play, via AP:

A month before Election Day, that means both candidates are concentrating their precious time and money in the handful of states that still seem to be competitive: Ohio, Florida, Nevada, Colorado, Iowa, Virginia, North Carolina, New Hampshire, and Wisconsin.

Now, state by state, Per Nate – you can see that while things are close, only 1 of the 9 is going Romney’s way, while possibly 5 are going Obama’s:

North Carolina: Likely Romney
Colorado: Toss-up
Florida: Toss-up
Virginia: Toss-up
Iowa: Lean Obama
Ohio: Lean Obama
New Hampshire: Likely Obama
Nevada: Likely Obama
Wisconsin: Likely Obama
And here’s Politico’s take on the state of play in the swing states, and the total electoral vote count estimate:

Early Voting Puts Romney At A Disadvantage

Now, if Romney continues to do better in the national polls, you may seem the same effect percolate down to the key swing states. The question is “is it enough,” and “is it in time.” The first is obvious, the second deals with early voting. More from the National Conference of State Legislatures:

Two-thirds of the states–32, plus the District of Columbia–offer some sort of early voting. Early voting allows voters to visit an election official’s office or, in some states, other satellite voting locations, and cast a vote in person without offering an excuse for why the voter is unable to vote on election day. Satellite voting locations vary by state, and may include other county and state offices (besides the election official’s office), grocery stores, shopping malls, schools, libraries, and other locations.

The time period for early voting varies from state to state:

The date on which early voting begins may be as early as 45 days before the election, or as late as the Friday before the election. The average starting time for early voting across all 32 states is 22 days before the election.
Early voting typically ends just a few days before Election Day: on the Thursday before the election in three states, the Friday before in nine states, the Saturday before in five states, and the Monday before Election Day in 11 states.
Early voting periods range in length from four days to 45 days; the average across all 32 states is 19 days.
At least 12 of the 32 early voting states require that early vote centers be open on at least one Saturday or Sunday during the early voting period. Others give county or local officials the authority to determine the hours for early voting.
So a lot of people are voting BEFORE election day. How many? Try a third of the electorate:

“I am forecasting in this election cycle that about 35 percent of the vote will be cast before Election Day,” George Mason University professor Michael McDonald, who researches early voting behavior, told TPM. “We know 78 percent of all votes in Colorado were cast prior to Election Day in 2008, and it probably will be around 85 percent in 2012. The election will essentially be won or lost before Election Day unless it’s a tight, narrow, razor-thin margin.”

Romney and Obama need to convince those voters long before November 6. NPR has more – let’s look at a few of the swing states. I’ve organized them by when early voting begins/began:

VA: Absentee voting and early in-person voting began Sept. 22.
IA: Early voting began Sept. 27.
OH: Early voting began Oct. 2.
NC: Absentee voting began Sept. 6, while early in-person voting begins Oct. 18.
NV: Absentee voting begins Oct. 17, while early in-person voting begins Oct. 20.
WI: Absentee voting began Sept. 20, while early in-person voting begins Oct. 22.
CO: Absentee voting begins Oct. 15, while early in-person voting begins Oct. 22.
FL: Absentee voting began Oct. 2, while early in-person voting begins Oct. 27.
NH: Absentee voting began Sept. 22.
So, in three of the swing states – VA, IA and OH – early voting has already begun. That means that either candidate’s momentum in the coming weeks could become increasingly less relevant as votes are already cast.

What a fun system we have.