the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My picks:

Chicago over Seattle
New Orleans over Philly
Baltimore over Indy
New England over San Diego

I think Bill Belichick will game plan to perfection. All things considered, I can not in good conscience pick Marty Schottenheimer over Bill Belichick in this spot.
I can see Rivers struggling a little in his first post season game. L.T. has a good game but not good enough. Merrimans tears both biceps in a 'roid fueled 'flex' as he runs out of the tunnel and Marty calls a super conservative 4th quarter and runs out of time on a 60 yard 8 minute drive despite being down 3 points.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Vegas is off for a few reasons. Chicago has still to prove it's a playoff capable team. Seattle isn't lacking in talent so much as it's been struggling with inconsistency in execution and injuries, yet the team still is suiting up for it's second playoff game this year. So now we have a scenario where the Seattle team has something to prove, after getting humiliated in Chicago, the entire team and coaching staff is up unbelievably for this game. There is a perception that the Chicago loss was the catalyst for derailing the season to subpar standards in expectation this season. You better believe the Hawks are licking their chops and are excited for the rematch.

And now you have Vegas close to making them a double digit underdogs.

This should be a great game.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I expect it to be a good game, but the Bears to pull away a bit in the 2nd half. With the time off, getting healthy guys back and playing at home, I think the fatigue/injuries of the Seattle guys will show. I think when they have all their guys and are clicking, Seattle is as talented as anyone out there, but they're just too beat up and really havent shown any consistency.
I dont think Chicago will put it in Rex's hands either. They will run til they puke which will keep the game from being a high scoring affair like the last one.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
If Walter Jones plays out of his mind again and can get at least one more O-lineman to go off with him, it should provide for some good times for the hawks.

Also, Stevens needs to build on what he accomplished this last game. It was definitely a step in the right direction.

Four little letters for ya: L-O-F-A. Him and Boulware should provide for a good run stop....but I hope for the sake of the CB's we run press coverage with Hamlin over the top....None of this nincompoop zone bs....

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
In my mind there may be doubt on what Chicago is going to bring to the table, and there is no doubt that the Hawks are bringing it.

i think of it like this. The curse of the Superbowl loser supposed to miss the playoffs for whatever reason was still very much in effect. The division got more competetive, major impact injuries plagued the team, yet just like a hacked up Jason the no-die Hawks show up at Solder Field.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Four little letters for ya: L-O-F-A. Him and Boulware should provide for a good run stop....but I hope for the sake of the CB's we run press coverage with Hamlin over the top....None of this nincompoop zone bs....
With all of the injuries Seattle has had recently in their secondary, I don't think they have any other option than to play a zone. Man-to-man coverage is tough enough with a healthy roster and average DBs, but trying to play that system with three starters out for the game?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Lol! If seattle tried to play man-up vs. the Bears WRs they would get hosed badly. Both Berrian and Bradley are sub 4.4 guys and Berrian burnt Seattle badly for a deep TD once already this year. The best thing they can do is stay in a cover 2, but bear in mind that is the same defense Chicago runs and they practice against it regularly. I'd love to see the guy who was a mortgage broker last week man on man vs. Muhsin Muhammad all game.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
With all of the injuries Seattle has had recently in their secondary, I don't think they have any other option than to play a zone. Man-to-man coverage is tough enough with a healthy roster and average DBs, but trying to play that system with three starters out for the game?
I dunno....a Cover 1 sounds a hell of a lot better than a cover 2 where you don't bring a safety (boulware) up to hedge the run/underneath pass....as long as Hamlin stays over the top we should be fine. Hunter was a freakin' loan officer until last week when we gave him a starting job......babs is fine and jennings is learning fast. I have no qualms running man. We can run zone if, and only if, wistrom, bernard, and fischer can get to rex.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
The Bears do not have a very good slot WR, therefore it wouldnt make sense to run a cover 1 to keep the underneath sound. It'd make more sense to drop lofa into that zone and watch for the burners on the outside.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
The Bears do not have a very good slot WR, therefore it wouldnt make sense to run a cover 1 to keep the underneath sound. It'd make more sense to drop lofa into that zone and watch for the burners on the outside.
The only two things I can see lofa staying in for are the run (which we have been notoriously bad at defending all year) and the tight ends....which haven't burned us....yet...and I'm not about to let Chi-towns TE's run over us....but your suggestion is noted.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This could very well be one of the best weekends of playoff football in the past 10 years. Absolutely none of the four games are predictable; each team could believably win. You could give me 10 different outcomes from the weekend and I wouldn't be surprised. My @ss will be glued to the tv.
I'm pretty sure Seattle is going to lose, but the rest of the games should be tight.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I'm pretty sure Seattle is going to lose, but the rest of the games should be tight.
If I had to guess one outcome from this weekend, it would be Chicago winning. But in all seriousness, can you truly rule out a shootout? Seattle is without three starting DBs. Chicago's defense has not been the same without Tommie Harris and Mike Brown in the lineup. Both teams, on paper, have the players to make this is high scoring game.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If I had to guess one outcome from this weekend, it would be Chicago winning. But in all seriousness, can you truly rule out a shootout? Seattle is without three starting DBs. Chicago's defense has not been the same without Tommie Harris and Mike Brown in the lineup. Both teams, on paper, have the players to make this is high scoring game.

Seatles game against Dallas was fun because of the close score but it was a poorly played game. Dallas was on a end of season downward slope and if you ask me the waterchickens are only in the post season because their division is a pop warner league.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I think people are making too much of the last few games for chicago. They were without several DBs and one DT who are all now back in the fold. They won 3 of the last 4 either way, and the only one they lost, they didnt care about and had been resting starters in all these games. Im not saying Seattle doesnt have a fair shot if Rex comes out tossing up INTs all over the place, but that's got to be your biggest hope, cause they simply dont match up anywhere else.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Man....here it is i already know the entire deal.....

Ravens over Colts-Colts just had a go defensive showing against the Cheifs...It's not gonna happen here But if it turns into a offensive show down..I'll have to take the Colts but for the tim beging it's the Ravens and Ray Lewis.

Saints over Eagles-Ealges just dont have what it takes there with out Litto Sheppard, sure they got a good back up....but chances are not good enough to replace there Pro Bowler. The saints have the best O in the NFL.

Bears over Seahawks-No need for a reason here...they shoulda lost last week to Dallas.

Chargers over Pats-Not %100 at all though but im going with the Chagers lets see how there "Pro Bowl" Qb Does in the playoffs.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Seatles game against Dallas was fun because of the close score but it was a poorly played game. Dallas was on a end of season downward slope and if you ask me the waterchickens are only in the post season because their division is a pop warner league.
the entire NFC is a joke. the giants get in w/ an 8-8 record? and don't tell me the Bears division was strong either.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
the entire NFC is a joke. the giants get in w/ an 8-8 record? and don't tell me the Bears division was strong either.
Pretty much a cakewalk division, as are the 49ers. Still the toughest division in football is the AFC West

Chicago 13-3
Green Bay 8-8
Minnesota 6-10
Detroit 3-13

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Bearsly.

They will probably beat a dome team next week but the Superbowl disappointment is much greater.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Bearsly.

They will probably beat a dome team next week but the Superbowl disappointment is much greater.
Well, I dont really "expect" the Bears to win the superbowl, but after about 10 years without much to be excited about, a playoff win was definitely great. A SB appearance would be awesome and losing to a great team wouldnt break my heart. The Bears are back.