Quantcast

*Rock* me *Hardplace*

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
So as you all know and some of you have been involved with I'm at the point in my life where I need to come to a decision, do I stay or do I go.

I like the area where I live now however this is the only place I've ever lived. I have a moderatly good job that can't afford me a home soley on it's salary. I got a promotion over a month ago, however I still haven't seen the salary increase. In a 4 person office there shouldnt' be any red tape holding it up.

Anyway I'm in a profession that I could get a job almost anywhere.... thing is how do you decide to live.
I sent out 3 resume's yesteday, I've already gotten 2 responses to set up interviews so there is work out there for me.

So I guess this post is looking for how did you guys end up where you are? What made you feel like you had to move? How did you decide the area you live in was right?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I used to live in Cincinnati. I got a jorb offer to move to Charlottesville Va. I had spent a week here on a business trip and liked the place so I moved. It all happened at a time when my whole life did a backflip. Broke up with my live in GF, most of my close friends had moved away. I didn't like Cincinnati so I figured it was a perfect time to move. I ended up liking Va but have been getting the itch to move or at least find a new job myself. My current job is draining my will to live.

Change is good and you are at a point in your life where change is easy to make.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Westy said:
I used to live in Cincinnati. I got a jorb offer to move to Charlottesville Va. I had spent a week here on a business trip and liked the place so I moved. It all happened at a time when my whole life did a backflip. Broke up with my live in GF, most of my close friends had moved away. I didn't like Cincinnati so I figured it was a perfect time to move. I ended up liking Va but have been getting the itch to move or at least find a new job myself. My current job is draining my will to live.

Change is good and you are at a point in your life where change is easy to make.
See my job isn't bad but the hours kind of suck....

Plus moving would put my GF and I away from our families which I would like. (but I don't want to move to far)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
firetoole said:
if you move to texas wouldn't you then not be a yankee anymore?
Funny that people could be so bakwards as to refer to people as Yankee's still.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
stinkyboy said:
There's no growth without change. I moved to Phoenix 7 years ago not knowing a soul or having one client.
See, I don't even know where I want to move.

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
If your current job can't help you get what you want out of life, and you have other prospects, it's time to go for sure. I too work for a small company and feel your pain (especially when I filed the company AND the owners personal taxes...so when he tells me his overhead is too high and profits are too low to give me a raise, I KNOW it's a lie)

If you've every vacationed somewhere that you've loved the area, send out some resume's and see what happens. Certainly there are going to be many other situations to deal with if you make the decision to move (friends, girlfriend, property and all that) but ultimately, if it gives you a new perspective on your life, and introduces some new variety, it's good.

H.Pie and I went out to Portland last year, loved it and have been working since then on making the move out there. H quit her job in March, we just got back from Portland this Sunday from buying a house, we're getting married next Saturday and will move in on June 9th...and I still haven't found a job yet...talk about risk.

You'll figure it out, especially since there are opportunities out there for you, just don't get too comfortable feeling comfortable.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Buck Fever said:
If your current job can't help you get what you want out of life, and you have other prospects, it's time to go for sure. I too work for a small company and feel your pain (especially when I filed the company AND the owners personal taxes...so when he tells me his overhead is too high and profits are too low to give me a raise, I KNOW it's a lie)

If you've every vacationed somewhere that you've loved the area, send out some resume's and see what happens. Certainly there are going to be many other situations to deal with if you make the decision to move (friends, girlfriend, property and all that) but ultimately, if it gives you a new perspective on your life, and introduces some new variety, it's good.

H.Pie and I went out to Portland last year, loved it and have been working since then on making the move out there. H quit her job in March, we just got back from Portland this Sunday from buying a house, we're getting married next Saturday and will move in on June 9th...and I still haven't found a job yet...talk about risk.

You'll figure it out, especially since there are opportunities out there for you, just don't get too comfortable feeling comfortable.
Does H.Pie stand for Honey Pie? Because if it does thats some funny stuff!!!

Where do you currently live?

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
stosh said:
Plus moving would put my GF and I away from our families which I would like. (but I don't want to move to far)
Look into areas that you can be within a 4-6 hour drive of your families. That makes it easy for weekends or holidays.

I grew up in the Syracuse area. Moved to Orlando, Florida. Grew homesick. Moved back to Syracuse. After 2 years, wanted a change to a more "growing area". Moved to Clifton Park, and worked in Albany for a little over 4 years. Position was eliminated. Floated resume' out to Boston area companies, because of the positive job oportunities in the area. Ended up with a position in Worcester, and live in Southern Central Mass, almost in Rhode Island. Easy access to Boston, Providence, and the Cape.

I chose the Boston area because it's 3 hours from my parents, 4 hours from my friends I grew up with that still live in the Syracuse area, big bike scene, tons of things to do, and there's a lot of jobs.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
My life doesn't even slightly resemble yours, so take this for what it's worth.

I say move. For the most part, who cares where. There was a post a few weeks ago... it had a link in it to a site where you put in some info about you and it matches you with places to live. Maybe you could start there.

Regadless, I say move because you can. You say you can get a job almost anywhere - that's a huge plus. You have no kids to complicate things. Do you have local family to tie you here?

Renae and I chose to stay in Binghamton when we got married because most of our family is pretty local to the area. Now that we have kids, it's a bit harder to move... and will only get harder once they start school, so I kind of regret not trying something new back when I could. It's not a huge deal because *for the most part* I like the area... but a change of scenery (no pun intended) would have been nice, if only for a while.

You can always come back if you so choose.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I moved far from where I work, Santa Rosa, CA - mainly for my kid.

We lived in Oakland. We were near everything, (SF, etc) but there are skyrocketing housing costs and it's not very safe. And the school district is one of the worst (if not the worst) in the state.

Now we live in a place where actually buying a house might be a reality some day, and my kid can walk to a good school.

My commute sucks, (2+ hours each way including bus AND carpool) but my over all quality of life is much better.

So yeah, work and live where you're the most happy. That may not be where you're currently at.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
My life doesn't even slightly resemble yours, so take this for what it's worth.

I say move. For the most part, who cares where. There was a post a few weeks ago... it had a link in it to a site where you put in some info about you and it matches you with places to live. Maybe you could start there.

Regadless, I say move because you can. You say you can get a job almost anywhere - that's a huge plus. You have no kids to complicate things. Do you have local family to tie you here?

Renae and I chose to stay in Binghamton when we got married because most of our family is pretty local to the area. Now that we have kids, it's a bit harder to move... and will only get harder once they start school, so I kind of regret not trying something new back when I could. It's not a huge deal because *for the most part* I like the area... but a change of scenery (no pun intended) would have been nice, if only for a while.

You can always come back if you so choose.
yeah I have local family.

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
stosh said:
Does H.Pie stand for Honey Pie? Because if it does thats some funny stuff!!!

Where do you currently live?
Heather Pie, I'm still amused by it though. It came from a song her mom made up when she was wee.

Right now we live about 45miles from DC. I've lived in MD for most of my life with a brief stint in RI (which I loved) and SC (which I don't love). We're in our 30's and figure we'd better try the PNW before we have wee ones and get "trapped"

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
H8R said:
I moved far from where I work, Santa Rosa, CA - mainly for my kid.

We lived in Oakland. We were near everything, (SF, etc) but there are skyrocketing housing costs and it's not very safe. And the school district is one of the worst (if not the worst) in the state.

Now we live in a place where actually buying a house might be a reality some day, and my kid can walk to a good school.

My commute sucks, (2+ hours each way including bus AND carpool) but my over all quality of life is much better.

So yeah, work and live where you're the most happy. That may not be where you're currently at.
If I had a choice I would live in Cali.

I couldn't see myself affording to move out there though.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Buck Fever said:
Heather Pie, I'm still amused by it though. It came from a song her mom made up when she was wee.

Right now we live about 45miles from DC. I've lived in MD for most of my life with a brief stint in RI (which I loved) and SC (which I don't love). We're in our 30's and figure we'd better try the PNW before we have wee ones and get "trapped"
So how did you pick the PNW.

I'm trying to get away from winter. I still like a cold snap but I hate all the snow and the super long winters.

I know PNW isn't like that but it seems..... wet.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
Here's that link... kinda neat actually...

http://www.findyourspot.com/
Thanks!

Is Mtn BIking a choice!

I love where I live because I have my back to the Mtn's and my face to the city, I can choose to go either place at any time and not worry about how long it takes to get to either.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
stosh said:
See, I don't even know where I want to move.
I came out to Colorado when my cousin got married when I was 18. I sat on the porch of the Irwin Lodge at 11,000 feet in the Colorado Rockies near Crested Butte and vowed that I'd go to college, then move to CO as quickly as I could.

4 years later I finished school, spent one last summer in MI, then headed west. Left family behind, but you know, they like to come to Colorado. :thumb:

I doubt I'll ever leave unless something big moves me out.

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
stosh said:

I'm trying to get away from winter. I still like a cold snap but I hate all the snow and the super long winters.

Yeah - they have rain forests for a reason.

I think that Utah would be a good choice. Short winters, easy access to *ALL* kinds of recreation. "Real" mountains. "Real" desert. :thumb:

-S.S.-

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
stosh said:

While we were out there, the weather was just incredible so we bought into the idea that the winters are relatively mild and the summers are typically around 80 with no humidity (seems counterintuitive for the region, but it's true) except for a few weeks in August when it's about a million degrees.

Having lived on the East coast my whole life, a few things directly appealed to me...the idea of a mild summer with no humidity seems unreal. Portland is about an hour from the ocean and we saw some decent surf while there; we're told that while moist and gloomy, winters are pretty mild and snow in the city is rare but if you need wintertime recreation, Mt. Hood is 45 minutes away. The area has a lot of natural offerings, but is seriously lacking in jobs for me. IF I can find something, it looks like I'll be taking at least a $15K pay cut, but that's ok because I should be able to actually get out and ride, which will get me peace of mind.

One of the better aspects of us moving out there is that many my favorite musicians actually play that city, rather than skipping over Baltimore and DC as is what usually happens here.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Buck Fever said:
While we were out there, the weather was just incredible so we bought into the idea that the winters are relatively mild and the summers are typically around 80 with no humidity (seems counterintuitive for the region, but it's true) except for a few weeks in August when it's about a million degrees.
Sounds pretty accurate. The only thing I would add is the chance of not seeing the sun for 3 months straight between the months of November and March. :dead: ;)

-S.S.-

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Buck Fever said:
One of the better aspects of us moving out there is that many my favorite musicians actually play that city, rather than skipping over Baltimore and DC as is what usually happens here.
Having played in DC several times, I can relate.

When a better club than 9:30 opens up, and in a safer neighborhood, more acts will come through.

:)

That said, if I ever move out of CA, Portland is on my radar. Cool town.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
stosh said:

like buck fever writes, pac nw summers are very pleasant since they're not all humid. nothing like boston or nyc smoggy nightmares. and winter isn't bad, just sorta depressing with the overcast weather. having lived in boston, portland, and seattle i like seattle the best by far, with the caveat that traffic absolutely sucks. live close to where you work and drive at off-peak hours. (portland sucks traffic-wise too but if you can live on the max tram line then you're set.)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stosh said:
That quiz thing told me to move to Fredricksburgh Texas.
lol... when I did it... it spit back a bunch of places in arizona and colorado (which makes sense), but also Harrisburg, PA and Albany. :think:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The 3 things that matter to me:

1. Cycling.
2. Interesting Town.
3. Job Prospects (for me, Unix Sys Admin).

I lived in New Orleans because it was very interesting. I actually got my second chance with cycling there, but considering the highest point in Louisiana is 400 feet (at the other side of the state), the riding there was so-so.

I ended up in Connecticut after that, for a job. The riding there is excellent, but it is a dull state, especially after Bourbon Street.

I finally ended up in SF, which has it all for me, and one added bonus: family.

If you ride like it is your life, then you have consider what is the riding scene like. Then you have to factor in the job scene. I would love to live in Taos or Moab, but there are not alot of jobs for me.

If you have the chance to live some place interesting, you should take it. It is a great chance to expand your life.

Finally, my equation does not consider things like crime, cost-of-living, schools, overcrowding, or just the basic things most people consider in making a move. If these things are important then you better add them into your equation.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
stosh said:
If I had a choice I would live in Cali.

I couldn't see myself affording to move out there though.
Move to California. We'll take you. It can be expensive, but it's not impossible. When the GF and I buy a house next year we'll rent you a back room. :) Seriously though, if you want to move out here you can do it. You may have to live a bit on the meager side while you save up for a house, but as someone said in another thread, "once you're in, you're in". I was born and raised in Southern California, and have never had a problem finding a nice place to live. (I have never lived in Nnorthern Cal., so I can't comment on life up there. While the cost of housing scares the ****e out of me, I also realize that I can do it, that it's not that difficult. And to give you an idea, I make less than 55k a year. C'mon out... you know you want to. :D

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
sanjuro said:
The 3 things that matter to me:

1. Cycling.
2. Interesting Town.
3. Job Prospects (for me, Unix Sys Admin).
I noticed that "Having a place to park" was not on your list.

:rolleyes:

J

JRB

stosh said:
That quiz thing told me to move to Fredricksburgh Texas.
hmmm - I'll bet Inbred would take a new room mate.

*move to TX. I bought shocks on your recommendation. They should be here today. :thumb:

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
SkaredShtles said:
Sounds pretty accurate. The only thing I would add is the chance of not seeing the sun for 3 months straight between the months of November and March. :dead: ;)

-S.S.-
Couldn't you just drive to the other side of the Cascades? That's my plan.

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
H8R said:
Having played in DC several times, I can relate.

When a better club than 9:30 opens up, and in a safer neighborhood, more acts will come through.
It just seems that there isn't an appreciation for "off" music around here so it's hard for more progressive or experimental bands to get booked.

I don't know what it's like from a performers point of view, but as a viewer, the 9:30 is a pretty great place (except for the surrounding area, which doesn't hold a candle to where I work, in terms of danger) to see a show. they even have DogFishHead Imort Ale on draught. They typically even have pretty good sound (but always too loud like every other club on the planet.)

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
Toshi said:
(portland sucks traffic-wise too but if you can live on the max tram line then you're set.)
This was the big discussion between H.Pie and I. I currently spend at least 3 hours a day just getting to and from my job. It's likely that I'll end up with a job out in Beaverton or Tigard and I was seriously bummed when we lost out on the bids we put in on two different houses out there. We ended up with a house in SE (out on 72nd) so I'll end up having to drive across the city. BUT, it should still be a huge time reduction that what I'm doing now.