Quantcast

Roll Call for US Open!!

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
thats nuts, why is it so impossible to get a run in? just because of slow people or do people stand in the course?
yes and yes, tho there is a great vibe for this race.

Relax and you'll have fun and there are a few other trails to ride.

Try to hit the race run at the very start and the very end of practice and you may get a complete run in.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
thats nuts, why is it so impossible to get a run in? just because of slow people or do people stand in the course?
yup, thats exactly why. kids need to learn trail etiquette and not stop on the middle of the trail to survey the line. when theres 200+ people trying to practice at the same time, show some respect to people trying to attempt a full run. the rock garden is really the worst spot on the course for this.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
There's a rock garden in the middle of the course that seems to be challenging to everyone. It's really not that bad though the am class just feels the need to stare at it for hours. I might install a train horn on my bike.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
your broke yer sh!t at the Open?
I broke my collar bone at Windam and rebroke my hand at the open.
At the open I passed some geezer in the toyota rock garden and was having a pinned run until I washed out, went over the bars, and rebroke one of my metacarpels, fun stuff.

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
I know the Practice Session traffic jams won't be any different this year as past years, but hoping for a clear Quali/Final run for once!

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
The am practice at the Open is the worst racing experience I have ever tried.
True enough. But I just hope people can come this year with reasonable expectations and not get pissed that there were too many people on the track, there was a holdup at the rock garden, they couldn't do a top to bottom run without having to stop or slow down, etc. That's what happens when there's 300 people in a class. Last year I felt a bad vibe the whole time because everyone got annoyed at what's basically inevitable.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
There's a rock garden in the middle of the course that seems to be challenging to everyone. It's really not that bad though the am class just feels the need to stare at it for hours. I might install a train horn on my bike.
went down in there on saturday morning practice, pro/open class... caught someone who probably shouldn't have been in pro/open class stopping in the middle of the rock garden. nice weekend for a bruised kidney :rant:

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
A few buddies and I are going to carpool down on Thursday afternoon. Gunna give pro a shot this year and see if I can avoid the clusterf**k that is AM practice and grab a quali spot. Worst case I'll just ride all the other crappy trails they build up there on Sunday.:biggrin:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
True enough. But I just hope people can come this year with reasonable expectations and not get pissed that there were too many people on the track, there was a holdup at the rock garden, they couldn't do a top to bottom run without having to stop or slow down, etc. That's what happens when there's 300 people in a class. Last year I felt a bad vibe the whole time because everyone got annoyed at what's basically inevitable.
LoL... yup- the inevitable cluster-phuck that is AM practice at the Open... I think it would be a good idea to have extra Course Marshalls posted in and around the TRG (Toyota Rock Garden) to clear bodies and bikes when someone goes down. Having some of them act as traffic cops to direct rider flow would be nice too.

It's either that or having some kind of mandatory competancy test for all AM riders to pass - everyone lines up at the TRG Friday morning: those who can clear it in one shot without putting a foot down practice in one group, those who can't practice in another group.

Savvy?

:biggrin:

...but then again people talk about this same topic every year and it's always the same thing... oh well... bring a newspaper or a crossword puzzle and make the best of it when the bottle-necks happen...

Last edited:

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Come on. You got to be there. However I may need to be in Ithaca a few times this year. If so, is it an easy trip to Platty from there?
Damn, I will miss the RockGarden Party on race day.

Do it up right for me guys!!!

and yes we are heading up north

Ithaca is inconvenient to everywhere, figure 2.5 - 3 hours, tomac racer may chime in as he makes that trip often

mugs4pres

Chimp
Jul 8, 2007
people need to learn to throw their bikes OFF the trail and inspect you line that way. people who are serious riders want to get full runs through the course i know from experience that it is hard to restrain from killing someone who is stopped in the middle of the trail "looking" for the best line. they just need to do us all a favor and get the f@ck out of the way:lighten:

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
AM practice sucks... I remember last year seeing a kid in practice with a Cannondale Super-V he bought for like $200, why the hell was he racing at the US OPEN!?!?

Anyways, I like the idea of splitting up practice by odds and evens. But if Diablo doesn't want to alter their schedule the least they can do is put a course marshall or two at the top of the rock garden to tell people to 'keep moving' or 'get off the course'. What do you think?

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Hire one of those cowboys that performs at fairs with a lasso and have him rangle up little ones who like to sit in the course and pull them out of the way.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...or in case Lars decides to start pulling front flips again :D

That's MR. TRIBUS to you, buddy... :biggrin:

...actually he was going for a McTwist, but couldn't get enough height for the rotation. :)

Talked with Lars at the local shop a few weeks ago, - it was when he just got back from South America. He had some new Chumba gear with him, and I gotta say his new hardtail DJ/4X bike looked pretty sweet.

Gunner - have we met before? Through Seplavy perhaps?

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Flyin in from SLC after moving from VT a year ago. Couldn't miss this one and scored a sick deal on tickets! See everyone there!

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
AM practice sucks... I remember last year seeing a kid in practice with a Cannondale Super-V he bought for like $200, why the hell was he racing at the US OPEN!?!?

Anyways, I like the idea of splitting up practice by odds and evens. But if Diablo doesn't want to alter their schedule the least they can do is put a course marshall or two at the top of the rock garden to tell people to 'keep moving' or 'get off the course'. What do you think?
Haha that was my friend Nick, he is actually a Nationally ranked enduro cross racer. He last raced DH in 99 and was under the assumption it was still a sweet bike. I tried to tell him but he learned the hard way it sucks. If he had a real bike he would easily place top 10 in amateur.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
...why would anyone bring a penis pump to a DH race?

I mean - slopestyle, SURE... I always have mine with me, 'cause chicks in the slopestyle crowd dig that "ready-for-action" look... but DH?

I just don't see it.
is your penis curved like that??

if so, im sorry to hear