Quantcast

Roll Call for US Open!!

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Is it just me, or does it feel that the Open is a bit low key this year? Dont get me wrong, we are going and we love it. But I do not see any Hype, no teaser videos, no leakage of any course improvements, no status on registration or speculation on who is showing up, nothing. I know there are other events hapening that weekend, but where is all the marketing? Has the diablo crew pulled up stakes and gone to another forum site?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Is it just me, or does it feel that the Open is a bit low key this year? Dont get me wrong, we are going and we love it. But I do not see any Hype, no teaser videos, no leakage of any course improvements, no status on registration or speculation on who is showing up, nothing. I know there are other events hapening that weekend, but where is all the marketing? Has the diablo crew pulled up stakes and gone to another forum site?
I'm inclined to say this answer, because Diablo lists PinkBike as one of its official sponsors.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
so, in Pink Bike terms. 5000 people registered, registration was closed seconds after it opened, all the jumps increased in size 3 fold, and the every known racer on the planet is showing up. Damn, .....all I can say is...... damn......

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
so, in Pink Bike terms. 5000 people registered, registration was closed seconds after it opened, all the jumps increased in size 3 fold, and the every known racer on the planet is showing up. Damn, .....all I can say is...... damn......
should be a good race

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think more people have been banned from Diablo than any other mountain ever...

-PSP
-I'm pretty sure they banned Aaron Chase
-One or two others I can't remember

Oh and Jamie doesn't work there any more. Anybody know what he's up to?

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
...why would anyone bring a penis pump to a DH race?

I mean - slopestyle, SURE... I always have mine with me, 'cause chicks in the slopestyle crowd dig that "ready-for-action" look... but DH?

I just don't see it.

Looks like a Dr. Suess Peniferus enlargicus do-bangher

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
I think more people have been banned from Diablo than any other mountain ever...

-PSP

Didn't hear about Chase. What was he on their sh*tlist for?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
What exactly was his version of the story?
Basically, about 2 minutes after it happened, he wheeled his bike into the pits, gave it to me, and then said. (If you know Lars, picture him saying this and it makes total sense) "DUDE......." and then waited for a minute while he caught his breath, "I think I just did a front flip on the racecourse.. I'm not sure, it was crazy, I got totally spray dumped (lars-ism)". He said a bunch more, but I can't remember the specifics. It was pretty funny, and in the way that only Lars could describe it, with his Larserrific vernacular..Then about 10 minutes later Justin showed up with the video and we all watched in amazement.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Didn't hear about Chase. What was he on their sh*tlist for?
From what I heard Chase said something in regards to the build quality of certain features and Shawn wasn't having any part of that.

Granted, I heard this info second hand, but if you take a look at Chase's site he now lists Highland as a sponsor. :clue:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
From what I heard Chase said something in regards to the build quality of certain features and Shawn wasn't having any part of that.

Granted, I heard this info second hand, but if you take a look at Chase's site he now lists Highland as a sponsor. :clue:
Actually this isn't entirely true...

I have been advised by my legal team that any further statements made regarding said matter between the party of the first part and the party of the second part, herein may result in a -no party- zone, instantaneous decapitation and/or rectal bleeding.

:biggrin:

Basically, about 2 minutes after it happened, he wheeled his bike into the pits, gave it to me, and then said. (If you know Lars, picture him saying this and it makes total sense) "DUDE......." and then waited for a minute while he caught his breath, "I think I just did a front flip on the racecourse.. I'm not sure, it was crazy, I got totally spray dumped (lars-ism)". He said a bunch more, but I can't remember the specifics. It was pretty funny, and in the way that only Lars could describe it, with his Larserrific vernacular..Then about 10 minutes later Justin showed up with the video and we all watched in amazement.
Yeah! I saw him as he was making his way to the pits and he was just super-wide eyed. Never seen him like that before. I asked him how he managed to crack the clear coat on the front of his frame (looked like shattered glass) and he told me what happened, but I couldn't believe it... :shocked:

Last edited:

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Maybe planning a trip from Montreal.

Anybody know if I can camp out for cheap somewhere??

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey

-PSP

Ive heard that jamie was kinda running his own shop outside of diablo and fixing bikes, then this year after shawn(shaun?) came back from interbike he fired jamie and now diablo has their own bike shop.

* E-rumor

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon

i remember seeing the footage on youtube and being absolutly stunned, it was the coolest thing i had ever seen on a dh bike, especially since he didnt get hurt correct?

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
Concerning the U.S. Open- What kind of tires would be recommended? For the wet and dry in case it rains, not that I've checked the forecast yet. I see from videos that the course is quite rocky, so should I assume mud spikes are a no go even in the wet?

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
So for thoe of us who have been a complete waste of life this week. Is registration closed yet? and if not, is there anywhere to camp for cheap near there...besides in my car.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
If this is the case then why has the number of slots for AM race qualifiers been reduced from 100 (last year’s cut-off) to 75?

I just saw this in the park's website.

J
i was being sarcastic. theres usually only around 250+ people i would guess.
this year there will be 25 spots for Juniors plus the 75 over-18 Ams, making 100 total Ams

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
i was being sarcastic. theres usually only around 250+ people i would guess.
this year there will be 25 spots for Juniors plus the 75 over-18 Ams, making 100 total Ams
No worries. I may have misunderstood last year's qualifying cut-off when it was posted outside the shop/ticket office.

J

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
I just noticed in your sig... whoever kyle nelson is, that's not originally his quote. Its from one of Mitch Hedburg's standup routines. Sorry for the convenience.
yeah i know, people have told me before lol... but i have been to lazy to change it

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Any truth that the Giant Slalom is just racing the end of the old downhill course against the clock? If so yuck, and I wonder if I can get my $$ back.

I kind of assumed that slalom entailed racing someone else and not doing what is essentially a super short groomed dh race?????