Quantcast

Roommate Rant

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
i got into an argument with my roommate last night. he's barely here now that he has a g/f. he comes and stays 2 nights a week to spend it with his kids and then every other weekend with kids.

so last night he comes home in a mood to begin with. he comes upstairs and asks if i know about the gate being broken. i said no and we go out and look at it. he's in a pissy mood at this point. the bottom hinge of the gate broke. looks like it's pretty rusted and i guess wear and tear of opening the gate finally gave way. keep in mind...this house has had problems with it LONG before i started renting here.

anyhow of course he's pissed at my son for swinging the gate open too hard and busting it. mind you this hinge piece is thick solid metal. i find it hard to believe that in good condition it would have busted from a 7 yo boy swinging it open. so i basically brush it off to having a 7 yo boy who plays rough. i talk to kimani about remembering to take it easy on things especially since they don't belong to us. i also remind him about how it will be in texas too.

then he and his friends go over to the pool side to see what my roommate is now doing and he yells at them for going over to the pool side and how he doesn't want kimani's friend on that side of the yard. i call them over and remind them that while the pool is closed that they shouldn't play on that side. kimani's friend is 5 and they have their own pool. they are not there unsupervised but there because they wanted to see what he was doing...but whatever.

then before i can make it back into the house he comes out of the house to ask why his lawn chair is in the sunroom instead of the garage where it was originally. i tell him i borrowed it and he goes back into the house in a huff.

at this point i'm just pissed now that his anal retentive attitude is lashing out at me and the kids. he goes back in the house and is now in the laundry room. i bring HIS chair back down and put it in the garage and told him i thought it was the landlords. he mumbles about how he's just upset cause he hates to see things broken. i explain to him that i'm sure when his son was younger things got broken in the house and we go back and forth till finally he says he doesn't want to discuss this because it's not getting anywhere. i say fine and i leave to go upstairs. he mumbles how i'm always defending kimani. so i yell back "of course because he's my son". i avoided him the rest of the night. except at one point where i had gotten back from the store and came in through the garage so i could put kimani's bikes away and replace the beer i took from my roommate in his refrigerator. he sees that i've done this and asks how many beers i took. and then makes a sarcastic comment about how i don't know how to use a phone to ask.

i told him he has NEVER cared about me borrowing stuff in the year that i've been here and he knows i always replace it in full if not most times MORE than what i've taken. but suddenly NOW a year later when he's NEVER in the house, he wants me to call him everytime i need to borrow some sugar or milk or beer.

so at this point i've only got 6 weeks. and he's never around so it ended at that. and i chalk it up to the downside of sharing a house with someone...something i WON'T miss in Texas. but am i being too lacked or is he just being anal? things break. am i suppose to have my son play softly so that he never breaks anything or am i being irresponsible allowing my son to play rough like a boy and just deal with the things that get broken? in a year of living here he has broken the latch to the deck gate, this hinge on the yard gate and has messed around with the chipping concrete wall that is clearly eroding away. i don't think that's really THAT bad. but i don't know.

what do you think?

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
Did you fix those things after they broke?
If yes, I'm on your side.
If no, then fix that crap. He might be pissed that you're leaving and leaving that stuff broken. He'd have a case to not want any more damage left.

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
Did you fix those things after they broke?
If yes, I'm on your side.
If no, then fix that crap. He might be pissed that you're leaving and leaving that stuff broken. He'd have a case to not want any more damage left.

yes i'm fixing them. can't fix the concrete wall because it's beyond anything my son has flicked at. the wall is just crumbling. but the hinge and latch yes. as well i've also fixed things in the house that have broken having nothing to do with the kids but just because the house has it's issues. which the landlord AND roommate are both well aware of.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
i'm not saying he is. but a 7 yo boy breaking a latch on the deck gate and a hinge on the yard gate because he swings it a bit too hard seems part of the course in having a boy. do you have any kids?
Yes I have two, and when they abuse my property I'm all over them. They need to learn to respect other peoples property. That's the bottom line!

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
Yes I have two, and when they abuse my property I'm all over them. They need to learn to respect other peoples property. That's the bottom line!
agreed...but he wasn't abusing property. he was playing outside and swung the gate open with a little too much force. that topped with a gate hinge that clearly is rusted and old, caused it to snap. things DO get old and break. it'd be one thing if he was out there deliberately swinging the gate open and closed back and forth just for the hell of it. but not the case. i brought the hinge to home depot and the guy there said there's no way a 7 yo could have broken it the way it is broken. and the part cost under $5. seems to me it's a bit overly dramatic to see this as anything more than kids being kids.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Don't borrow your roommates ****. I hated it when my roomate takes/ uses mine.

If it belongs to someone else, hands off.

Maybe it's time to move into another more kid friendly environment?

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
Don't borrow your roommates ****. I hated it when my roomate takes/ uses mine.

If it belongs to someone else, hands off.

agreed if that's established at the beginning. as well...he has borrowed my sh*t. it was an agreement we shared going into it. which is one of the points of my rant...we specifically had several conversations about each other's stuff. we have always been more like friends than roommates and have used each other's stuff. it's only recently that he has suddenly grown an attitude towards it. i am a very considerate person. and have respected ALL the wishes we set up from the get go.

Maybe it's time to move into another more kid friendly environment?
he KNEW about the kids and has kids of his own (although they are older and only come by a few days a week). and my kids have been very respectful to his stuff as well as to the living arrangements. but clearly after a year of living together our views on parenting are different. i respect that however that doesn't mean i am gonna raise my kids based on his ways. i will be moving into a more kid friendly environment...in 6 weeks i'll have a place of my own where i can be the king of my castle. :monkeydance:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I'm sure your roommate is thinking 6 weeks is not soon enough.