Quantcast

Rotec RL9

Sep 10, 2001
Seattle,WA
We'll be at Sea Otter this year in the Team/Tech Support area. Our spot is #630 next to Magura.

I'll be offering demos on Thursday and Friday so stop by for a bounce.

I'll have a few framesets to choose from if anyones itchin to take one home ;)

Team Rotec

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
Come on someone must have one besides sponsored racers. I just want an unbiased review. There's something about the lawwill design I'm not sure about. Does it feel dead like a M-3 ?

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
ViciousDHer said:
Come on someone must have one besides sponsored racers. I just want an unbiased review. There's something about the lawwill design I'm not sure about. Does it feel dead like a M-3 ?
Alf has one and was on an M3 last year, but he is sponsored by Rotec. Not really sure how much he's liking it.

BRIANBUELL

Monkey
Nov 17, 2005
Boulder, Colorado
Even though Rotec is my sponsor a everything i can give you a truthful answer. For the last few years i'v kinda been like a bike tester becuase i'v bounced around breaking bikes, barrowing friends and for the first time really owning one for a full season. Compared to the Norco Team DH which was a good bike for me, very fun it skipped around too much in the rockgardens for me. I have also ridden around for a long time on a yeti DH9 and a Shwinny and i can tell you a yeti felt like a hog and the shwinny was too sloppy. At times they felt nice until i hoped on the rotec. Other then it being very stable at very high speeds it lays pavement through every rockgarden i'v done, its smooth and gains speed through the rocks. Never ridden an M3 so i couldn't tell ya any comparisons. Also i just took the Rotec to Moab and droped and jumped it all over the place and it took everything i threw at it. So i believe it is a very well balanced bike that specializes in speed which makes for the perfect race breed bike. Even though my opinion might not really matter to you, you have nothing to worry about as far as the Lawwill design is concerned, Mert and Rotec finally got it right .
Son gun can someone friggen teach me how to put a pick up like the one above

Attachments

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
BRIANBUELL said:
Other then it being very stable at very high speeds it lays pavement through every rockgarden i'v done, its smooth and gains speed through the rocks.
thats one of the things alf told me about it. he said he kept having to brake check in rock gardens cause it kept wanting to go faster and faster

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
John Sullivan` said:
Sapa (anodizing Inc) in Portland.
Nice. I have been really impressed with the build quality of my DHR. Having sapa weld it puts it on my short list of what frame to get next time.

You say the bike has 9 inchs of travel with a 9.5x3 inch shock. If you put on a 9x2.75 and made it 8.25inchs of travel would you end up with any frame on frame contact? Any negative impacts on shock progresivness etc. Im thinking slacker and lower race machine here.

And speaking of progressive shocks, does the shock need to be progresive, would something like a DHX, romic or avalanche work just as well or does it need the platform shock?

Im also interested in how the bottom swingarm mounts around th BB area. It looks like the chainstay is one peice, so how do you get it to go over the BB/bearing area?

Lastly, what kind of bearings are you using through out the frame? Needle, ball etc.

Sorry if these questions have already been covered.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
BRIANBUELL said:
Son gun can someone friggen teach me how to put a pick up like the one above
Good comments, the new Rotec is looking sweet.

For pictures, you want to load yours into a free image-hosting site like imagestation, imageshack, whatever. Once they are loaded, or when you find another pic you like somewhere, right-click, then select properties, then cut and paste the URL designation between these guys (image tags):

Sep 10, 2001
Seattle,WA
No worries mate, ask away!

Nothing shorter cause there will be contact. Some of the geo on our site hasn't to be updated yet, one being the bb height. As of now its in the 14.5 range depending on the fork with an average HT angle around 65.9-66.5 depending on the fork as well.

Don't know about needle bearing on a suspension linkages or even shock bushings for that matter. Regardless what anyone else might say, neddles need to move freely and since they do move freely theres slop....period.

Pick up the back of any moto and you'll understand. Personally, loose rears bug me (no pun intended). Its bad enough bushing and such get loose on mtb bikes already and feel sloopy, needles would drive me batty!

They're bikes out there that run needles and thats fine, but not ours.

The BB yoke is machined from one piece of 6061 t6 billet and slips onto the bb.

Imagine an H and the bb slips into the bottom of the H.

At present the only shocks are 5th's, Swingers, Avi's with remotes or their new Monty or Romics. DHX remote works sweet but the piggy DHX sits to tall as does the Revox.....for now.

07's will fit 99.9% of the shocks available on the market, unless its a Curnutt.

Let me know if I can answer anything else. I'll be at Sea Otter thru this weekend but i'll be checking emails.

Cheers, Sully

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
BRIANBUELL said:
Even though my opinion might not really matter to you,
It's not that Your opinion doesn't count. Just trying to get a handle on durability, parts availability and how many are out there "in the real world". I haven't seen one in person and I'd sure like to try one. The frame looks awsome and John's a great guy. He hooked up a friend a few years ago at Mt. Snow with a pair of GRC levers. Thanks for Your imput.:thumb:

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
John Sullivan said:
Nothing shorter cause there will be contact. Some of the geo on our site hasn't to be updated yet, one being the bb height. As of now its in the 14.5 range depending on the fork with an average HT angle around 65.9-66.5 depending on the fork as well.
Ok, i am looking forward to seeing the updated geo chart.

But out of interest how much contact clearance is there at max compression? Main reason i ask is 9inch of travel is too much for most types of aussie riding, around 8 is better and gives better geo. Also, i prefer to run 7 inch forks. We only have 2 lift assisted tracks in the whole of australia, most riding is short 3-4 mins tracks, rocky, pedally and technical. 9 inchs is over kill for me.

So i would have no problems putting on a 9.25x2.75 as the final point of wheel travel would be the same, but could you run a 9.125x2.75??

Sorry for the hypothetical q's.

John Sullivan said:
The BB yoke is machined from one piece of 6061 t6 billet and slips onto the bb.

Imagine an H and the bb slips into the bottom of the H.
Im not sure i get this? What do the bearings ride on? Would i be right in saying that the bearings ride on some kind of cups that screw into the bb area, then the BB goes into these cups? Any special tools required for disassembly?

John Sullivan said:
At present the only shocks are 5th's, Swingers, Avi's with remotes or their new Monty or Romics. DHX remote works sweet but the piggy DHX sits to tall as does the Revox.....for now.

07's will fit 99.9% of the shocks available on the market, unless its a Curnutt.
No worries, i wouldn't have the spare $$ till next year anyway, just starting to put bikes on the shortlist and yours is on there for sure. If it will fit an avy woodie (large fixed canister) that would be sweet. And a guide for a front der mount would be a nice option to have as well. And a cover for the shock would be nice. It wouldn't be too hard, just get a mould made out of wood, layer in a peice of carbon fibre matting and pour in the resin.

Have you got a frame weight as well? Including axle, floater etc.

You also mentioned something to do with the BB width and external cup bottom brackets. Is the bike designed to use external BB to get the proper chain line??

Thanks again.

VooDoo13

Chimp
May 19, 2005
East Coast
Ok correct me if I'm wrong but that's the pivot behind the upper shock mount right? Which would make that linkage something of an inverted lever and fulcrum "Franken-Horst" with what appears to be an obviously sub 2" stroke 5th which would give it an approximately +4:1 leverage ratio. Does Progressive make a 1000 lb spring?:think:

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
VooDoo13 said:
Ok correct me if I'm wrong but that's the pivot behind the upper shock mount right? Which would make that linkage something of an inverted lever and fulcrum "Franken-Horst" with what appears to be an obviously sub 2" stroke 5th which would give it an approximately +4:1 leverage ratio. Does Progressive make a 1000 lb spring?:think:
help Me on that one ??

Did anyone else notice how low the rear derailler is. Is shifting or banging on rocks a problem ??

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
No, you're way off.

Its a full Lawwill design, running a 9.5x3" stroke. Leverage is 3:1. Heres a better view, although this is a prototype, and the actual production model is different.

I cannot WAIT to see mine. That things gonna haul so much ass it'll be scary.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
VooDoo13 said:
ummm. what? the pivot is AROUND the bb. and as said before its a 3inch stroke

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
As mentioned, the yellow bike is a Proto...the production bikes are different. I encourage all (who have the opportunity) to come by the ROTEC booth at Sea Otter and get their fill of info about the bike from Sully himself.

Hope to see all ya'll at the Otter.

-aLf
Here are a couple of shots of the production bike in action:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/shyrmp/San Diego Trips/00nba67.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/shyrmp/San Diego Trips/00nba57.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/shyrmp/San Diego Trips/00nba45.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/shyrmp/San Diego Trips/00nba46.jpg

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
ViciousDHer said:
It's not that Your opinion doesn't count. Just trying to get a handle on durability, parts availability and how many are out there "in the real world". I haven't seen one in person and I'd sure like to try one. The frame looks awsome and John's a great guy. He hooked up a friend a few years ago at Mt. Snow with a pair of GRC levers. Thanks for Your imput.:thumb:
I'm getting my RL9 at the end of this week or the beginning of next!! I'm so stoked! (I had my 2 fully built rigs jacked back in Feb.) So this will be a brand new new new new bike top to bottom. I've bounced and pedaled (No real rides on it yet...cause I'm afraid to break other people's shizz...) 3 different builds, and the resounding consensus I've come to, in my own little world, is that this bike will do it all, and it won't break a sweat. It just feels solid. I'm going to race it on the 4th weekend of this month, I'll put up full build pics (very soon!!!!) and a review after a few weekends of ridin' it.

John Sullivan` said:
...unless its a Curnutt
2:1 Rotec........ :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
Late,
G

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
Geoff's has arrived pics and reviews shortly. I will note that the frame sure does look and feel strong and a lot of thought and engineering went into this frame, ie hopey mount built in, fork "bumpers" built into the frame, plenty of cable guides in the right places, 1.5 headtube, etc.

Thanks for all the imput and many,many thanks to John Sullivan !!

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
I just picked up a clean RL9. I am 90% complete with the build sans the rear brake.

Since I am dragging some of my used parts over onto the new(to me) bike, are the rear brake mounts the "IS" type bracket if I am using Hayes 8"?

I am pretty sure I have one of the standard brackets laying around, I just cannot figure out where... Just confirming what I need prior to ordering / shopping.

Let me know John!

Aaron

Did I mention that I am stoked? :busted:

boxxerace

Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
@ Japanese Gultch
what he said. Make sure 6" adaptor. i screwed up and ordered an 8" one the first time
Likewise, now that I read this thread after going to a bike shop . :disgust:

Thanks again for taking the time to clarify. You only have to do this once, but this detail should be noted in a manual or tech help page *cough*. :pirate2: