Quantcast

Saddles that can make up for slack seat tube angles?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Anyone spent time looking into what saddles can best make up for slack seat tube angles (ie, max rear position on the rails is as close to the rear of the saddle as possible)?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Anyone spent time looking into what saddles can best make up for slack seat tube angles (ie, max rear position on the rails is as close to the rear of the saddle as possible)?
There was a Fizik saddle (I think) developed to run a lot further forward. I'm trying to find it on google now.

There's also this option - https://www.9point8.ca/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=233

edit - http://www.mtbiking.com.au/gear/fizik-thar-saddle

lol double edit - Sniped by @pe6u

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Fizik Thar is what I bought when I rode the Evil.

I also ran a Thomson post backwards (we won't mention the xfusion I had before that) to give myself a little extra edge. This was approved by thomson and worked well for a 59* seat angle.

Newer posts understand how trash most seat angles are, and have 0 offset or even some forward cant.

I think you could also run an SMP or COBB saddle, as these have crazy long rails. I have both and can take measurements if you need. The Thar saddle got me sorted, but I'm shifting to something else since my grundle needs more space than the small channel that the Thar provides. I don't find the Thar as comfortable as virtually anything else, but Fizik excels in that fucky "flat everywhere" saddle design, not in things that are curved for your pleasure.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
out of curiosity... I'd like to see a poll of people who slam saddles forward vs people running them backwards. Why the fuck hasn't this shit been sorted yet?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
out of curiosity... I'd like to see a poll of people who slam saddles forward vs people running them backwards. Why the fuck hasn't this shit been sorted yet?
When even Worldcup DH pros have their rear tires buzzing on their saddles because of 29" wheels on midget-sized riders bikes, then you think they care about the consumer?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
When even Worldcup DH pros have their rear tires buzzing on their saddles because of 29" wheels on midget-sized riders bikes, then you think they care about the consumer?

All it takes is about 10 minutes with some snippers to get the tire to clear. Hell are the courses even steep any longer? I thought that they all looked like a UCI Downhill SKI tracks. So maybe they could raise the saddle 1"? Just get one of these.....
Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 7.09.15 AM.png

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Pretty much centre of rails on an inline seat post clamp and nose up. Anything else just looks shit when the saddle is down
If the seat tube is too slack just stand up or push. It's all about how the bike LOOKS. not fuckin climbing comfort.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
i have always, and still do, run mine as far back as they can go.
Ugh but why?
When you pedal hard seated ass lift begins at a much lower power level

If your seated and cranking out a flatter section on say the middle of a climb that has flattened out being behind makes the steering pushy and shitty as your like 14 miles behind the steering axis.

Having a steep seat fwd af makes you feel closer to your standing position

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
It's all about how the bike LOOKS. not fuckin climbing comfort.
It took me waaaaay too long to start dropping the nose of my saddle because it looks stupid. I always had it tilted back slightly from the DH days where it looked cool but eventually my lower back had enough of that shit and demanded some ergonomic sacrifices.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I never knew seat angle was a fashion statement. I am so embarrassed that all these years I have been looking foolish for the sake of comfort and erectile function.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Having a steep seat fwd af makes you feel closer to your standing position
The difference in power with hips close to, or over the bottom bracket is crazy. It makes climbing way less of a horrible chore if you can casually spin your way up.

I think the post angle being steep is more important than the "seat angle" measurement. Why the hell would I want to be further over the back wheel when the post is up considering that is only ever going to happen for climbing?

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
It took me waaaaay too long to start dropping the nose of my saddle because it looks stupid. I always had it tilted back slightly from the DH days where it looked cool but eventually my lower back had enough of that shit and demanded some ergonomic sacrifices.

Lol within like a week of getting a bike with a dropper (coming from only riding dh bikes, bmx bikes and motorcycles) I dropped the seat level

Not because or back, but total tain pain.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Why the hell would I want to be further over the back wheel when the post is up considering that is only ever going to happen for climbing?
Steep seat angles are great if you are only climbing or descending. But if you have flat-ish terrain/traverses then this pushes too much weight over the front.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Steep seat angles are great if you are only climbing or descending. But if you have flat-ish terrain/traverses then this pushes too much weight over the front.

Trying to stand without dropping the seat is a non starter with steeper seat tube angles, which can be really annoying in rolling terrain constantly dropping/raising the seat.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah, but given the bike I'm most worried about this issue with pretty much only gets used for going up and down 90% of the time, I'll deal with the inconvenience elsewhere.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You must be old. Have you considered an Ebike? ;)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I am so embarrassed that all these years I have been looking foolish for the sake of comfort and erectile function.
Point the nose high enough and the resulting gooch massage will sort any disfunction right out for ya.

UnusualBread

Chimp
Nov 2, 2020
I feel like there is a gap in the market for this. Looks like I'm not the only one looking to push seat forward. FallLineR is only dropper that offers this but 150mm max makes it a no go for me.

I actually dremeled my oneup to get a few more mm of forward offset. SQLab having a pretty rearward seating position doesnt help things either but I'm not willing to give it up. It'll probably break so don't recommend it but have been riding it like this for over a year .

Attachments

Sov

Chimp
Jan 1, 2008
Adelaide, Australia
I’ve been thinking about this a bit as well. Rails close to the rear of the saddle is only part of the picture. The other part is where the saddle sits your butt relative to the rails and this is a bit harder to measure.

I think the new roady style short saddles would be a good option to get you forward. They’re intended to position you as far forward as possible while still keeping within the UCI rules for fore/aft saddle positioning, and also relieve pressure on your gooch.

I’ve got a Prologo Dimension saddle on my roady and a WTB Volt on the mtb. If I pick an arbitrary width of say 80mm and mark that width on both saddles, on the Prologo, the 80mm wide bit is 60mm forward of the rear of the rails On the Volt, it’s 40mm forward of the rails. So if I were to replace the Volt on my mtb with the Prologo and slam them both forward, I’d effectively be sitting 20mm further forward (or thereabouts – like I said it’s hard to define where you really sit). 20mm is like 1 degree or so of steeper seat tube angle.

So the Prologo Dimension is available in a mtb version called the NDR, then there’s the Specialized Power and maybe even the new Nukeproof Horizon Enduro saddle. They all seem to follow the ‘short saddle that positions you forward’ shape/philosophy. I’m waiting for CRC to get stock back in for the Nukeproof cos I think the shape and low stack height should work for me.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Disagree about flat terrain.
I'll have my front weight thank you.

I slide my ball sack near my fuel cap on motorcycles on corner entry for front weight... before applying 10-50hp... so not exactly the same but having weight on your front wheel about the proportion you have when standing in attack position is absolutely better for turning while in the saddle

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
you must have some fucking big balls if sliding them forwards 20mm creates more grip than standing up and weighting the bars

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I found an old WTB Laser V in my parts bin. Super long rails, makes pedaling much easier. Unfortunately it's disintegrating, they've been out of production for quite awhile now and I don't see any on eBay. Ordered a Thar and an Ergon Enduro SM, hopefully one of them works/is comfortable. That Nukeproof looks cool.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
That Nukeproof looks cool.
It's very cool if you like ugly, short, fat, stubby saddles with short rails and stupid tyre spray enema holes in the middle.
Possibly one of the most uncomfortable saddle I've ever tried next to those stupid Ergon Ebike saddle.
Def one to try before you bang.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Are you guys who want your seats further forward flipping around the lower seat clamp? That gives an extra bit of further forward positioning possibilities.

Nino Shurter positions his ass for max power. He doesn’t agree with any of this steep seat tube stuff because he looses the max power and gains comfort which he doesn’t want or need. I think it’s interesting that people talk about power and steep seat angles. It’s probably low hip flexibility and comfort disguised in expertise. My moldy lower back likes a steep seat angle but that’s about it.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Nino Shurter positions his ass for max power. He doesn’t agree with any of this steep seat tube stuff because he looses the max power and gains comfort which he doesn’t want or need.
Yeah I'm sure his hardtail loses so much seat angle on the climbs due to sag.

I think it’s interesting that people talk about power and steep seat angles. It’s probably low hip flexibility and comfort disguised in expertise.
I am absolutely doing it for comfort. The difference in back pain is night and day for me. It stopped me pushing my bike up stuff.

Buuuuut... have you seen the seat angles on a time trial bike per chance?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Disagree, I think that this is a full spectrum site now and talking about climbing, seat posts, taints n saddles on the DH forum.
But talking about positioning a fully extended seat in the Trail forum wouldn't reflect well with how people self-identify.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Yeah I'm sure his hardtail loses so much seat angle on the climbs due to sag.

I am absolutely doing it for comfort. The difference in back pain is night and day for me. It stopped me pushing my bike up stuff.

Buuuuut... have you seen the seat angles on a time trial bike per chance?
He uses 120mm and Twinloc. I just thought it was interesting that those guys have more flexibility in their hips and backs and position saddles for power. Different horses and I can see the utility of all the setups (spectrum). Some like it steep and some like it slack.... that’s all. I don’t have the flexibility in my back or hips (nor desire) to ride like them.