Quantcast

Sam Blenkinsop leaves Yeti Cycles

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
www.yeticycles.com

Yeti Cycles, who has perennially fielded one of the strongest teams on the World Cup mountain bike circuit, announced the 2010 Yeti / Fox Racing Shox Factory team roster today.

Returning will be six-year team veteran, Jared Graves, who dominated the 2009 World Cup circuit in four-cross, winning the World Cup Overall and World Championships. American downhill prodigy, Aaron Gwin, who finished top ten overall in World Cup standings in just his second year racing mountain bikes, will also be on board and will be focused on adding to his podium count next season. Young gun, Sam Blenkinsop, will race for another team for the 2010 season.

“Sam has raced for us the last two years and had great success under our program,” said Chris Conroy, Yeti’s president. “While it is always bittersweet to see a rider like Sam move on, he has been presented a great opportunity with another team and we wish him the best of luck,” said Conroy.

Yeti has a long track record of developing young riders and this will play into the team dynamics for next season. “Fortunately, we have a strong development program and this will give one of our younger riders more experience on the world stage,” Conroy said. Most notably, Colorado native, Joey Schusler, will be given and opportunity to try his mettle on the World Cup circuit this year.

To bolster the team support, Yeti will add Scott Sharples to the program to help manage the team, mentor the racers, and provide coaching support to all levels of the program. Sharples was previously the Australian National Team coach, and has coached some of the best gravity riders in the sport. Additionally, Yeti will add a strength and conditioning coach, who will be named later. Damion Smith will remain as Team Manager.

“We’re committed to building our team for long-term success,” Conroy said. “We believe these key staff additions will give our riders the best support in industry and pay big dividends down the road.”

Yeti Cycles is a high-end mountain bike company, based in Golden, Colorado. The company has nearly twenty-five years of racing experience and focuses its product development on making racers go faster.

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Scott Sharples moves on from his new position at Specialized?

And James wilson gets a deal with a factory team, good to see! It will be interesting to see how James and his coaching style and philosophies fit in with Jared Graves, as Graves obviously is on a program ( in-terms of Strength and conditioning) that delivers at Olympic level! Pity Blinky is moving on and couldn't beneift from James training techniques.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
Scott Sharples moves on from his new position at Specialized?

And James wilson gets a deal with a factory team, good to see! It will be interesting to see how James and his coaching style and philosophies fit in with Jared Graves, as Graves obviously is on a program ( in-terms of Strength and conditioning) that delivers at Olympic level! Pity Blinky is moving on and couldn't beneift from James training techniques.
James has been dealing with them for a few year already I thought. I know he's trained gwinn in the past.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
It will probably be GIANT
and I heard the amount of money he is asking GIANT is really, really, ridiculous. But he can demand it, because he is the best guy they are going to get and GIANT wants a higher caliber rider than the current top 50 they have now.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Wonder if this will have any positive or negative effects on Gwin now that he is the top DH dog on the program?

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
He's hit and miss. I'm sure Yeti will be glad to see the back of him.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
He's hit and miss. I'm sure Yeti will be glad to see the back of him.
You have to be joking. He's had some very solid results considering his age/time on the WC circuit. Consistency will come with time. Above and beyond that he is an absolutely phenomenal rider.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Gwinn is the rounded talent in that team. Blenkinsop does well at Schladming and that's about it.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Gwinn is the rounded talent in that team. Blenkinsop does well at Schladming and that's about it.

remind me... who finished on the podium overall (5th) in 2008 ? who has won a WC for Yeti lately?

Who has finished as high as second at a WC ? And a third at Ft. Bill this year? and ended 2009 in 7th overall? that would be Sam (Gwinn ended the season in 9th)

Sam had 2 podiums in 09 with a 2nd and 3rd
Gwinn has three with a 3rd, 4th, 5th

oh and in UCI rankings... sam is 9th, gwinn is 10th

so who is/was the rounded talent? and why would they be glad to see it go to another team?

Last edited:

John Jameson

Chimp
Nov 12, 2009
Right side of the Sierras
thank you so ****ing much for that picture... my 2 cents is that blinky will join back up with his kiwi compatriot and ride for Trek next year. totally baseless, just like everyone else's speculation, but they have the dough and Leov to recruit him.

Last edited:

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
remind me... who finished on the podium overall (5th) in 2008 ? who has won a WC for Yeti lately?

Who has finished as high as second at a WC ? And a third at Ft. Bill this year? and ended 2009 in 7th overall? that would be Sam (Gwinn ended the season in 9th)

Sam had 2 podiums in 09 with a 2nd and 3rd
Gwinn has three with a 3rd, 4th, 5th

oh and in UCI rankings... sam is 9th, gwinn is 10th

so who is/was the rounded talent? and why would they be glad to see it go to another team?
For the amount of time Gwinn has been riding he's obviously got more potential. Plus consistency on a wide range of courses. The money saved on Blenkinsop will be appreciated I'm sure. Plus he seems a little arrogant.

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
For the amount of time Gwinn has been riding he's obviously got more potential. Plus consistency on a wide range of courses. The money saved on Blenkinsop will be appreciated I'm sure. Plus he seems a little arrogant.

Ive worked with Sam on one of my films back in NZ. he is not arrogant in anyway. he just likes riding his bike ,and is damn good at it. dont confuse someone being quiet as arrogance. if he warms up to ya hes very funny and very on to it.

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
I'm thinking he may go to trek as well. It sure sucks to see him leave Yeti though. But with Leov on Trek and Whitely being Sam's agent also it seems like it would be a good fit. Does anyone have any substantiated information on his likely new team?

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Ive worked with Sam on one of my films back in NZ. he is not arrogant in anyway. he just likes riding his bike ,and is damn good at it. dont confuse someone being quiet as arrogance. if he warms up to ya hes very funny and very on to it.
I'm sure you're right, I've never met the guy.

I just remember him coming over the line at Monte Sainte Ann and just riding past his team mate (who was in the hot seat) like a spoilt brat. Gwinn's expression said it all.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW

I just remember him coming over the line at Monte Sainte Ann and just riding past his team mate (who was in the hot seat) like a spoilt brat. Gwinn's expression said it all.
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be too worried about chatting up a guy I ride with all the time at the end of WC race either. They've got the rest of the year to talk about how sick they shralped that corner.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC

I don't like to throw phrases like "the most retarded thing I've read this year" around willy-nilly but this is without a doubt the most retarded thing I've read this year.

Just to clarify; Blenkinsop is arrogant, inconsistent, a one-track-wonder and someone that Yeti will be glad to see the back of because he was disappointed with his run at MSA and didn't stop to mug for the cameras.

If you've got a resume handy, fire it off to Yeti post-haste. God knows why they've persisted with their current TM for so long when a gentleman with your fine eye for man-management and team dynamics is waiting in the wings.

Squam_DH

Chimp
Feb 24, 2009
If he really is on Giant it will be interesting to seewhat geo tweaks he asks for, if any. Maybe it will silence some of the e-haters about that frame if he keeps the head angle where its at.