Quantcast

Sam Brown R.I.P.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Not to make light of a sad story, but that is an awesome way to go out...
yeah, all the cool kids are killing themselves

350 lbs is a LOT of pot. (I'm just sayin')
350lbs is not a lot of pot really for a "smuggling operation"
50,000lbs were just confiscated here on the east coast just two weeks ago.

350lbs is small time really in the grand scheme of things

its funny how they refer to the weed as "crop" when they talk about when he was unloading it. If they are referring to it as a crop then why is it illegal?
it is one of the largest cash crops in the US

btw, how does it take two days to report a stolen choppa?

Last edited:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
yeah, all the cool kids are killing themselves

350lbs is not a lot of pot really.
50,000lbs were just confiscated here on the east coast just two weeks ago.

350lbs is small time really
350 lbs. of Canadian weed is a gold mine.

I work with many youngsters (20 and 30 somethings) here in Phoenix and they are (for the most part) scared, pale, weak children who never played sports or never took any sort of risks and will live with the knowledge that are pvssies for their rest of their days.

I'm saddened to see him go out like that, but God bless you Sam Brown!

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
350 lbs. of Canadian weed is a gold mine.

I work with many youngsters (20 and 30 somethings) here in Phoenix and they are (for the most part) scared, pale, weak children who never played sports or never took any sort of risks and will live with the knowledge that are pvssies for their rest of their days.

I'm saddened to see him go out like that, but God bless you Sam Brown!
dont get my wrong...i would love 350lbs of grade A bud.
for him to kill himself over 350lbs is crazy. suicide is the easy way out. he had other options.

what did that store have to do with him killing himself??

well it takes one day for the police to take the thumb out of their asses, then another day to figure out how he outsmarted them.
thats great and all, but the owner reported it stolen two days after Brown was busted

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Even more fail. :disgust1:

I'm done with this thread.

RIP Sam.
..and yeah, ive been in bad situations...nothing stupid like having 350lbs of herb. i let the morons do that. its too bad the kid killed himself for sure...but it doesnt discount the fact that he is just another drug smuggler.

Last edited:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
This just appeared on my helicopter forum

[quote name=' post='108882' date='Mar 6 2009, 03:14 AM']sad to hear about his loss of life, mountain biker, heli rigger/faller/pilot(aspiring). ended up in a bad situation. rest in peace[/quote]

Last edited:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Interesting quote.....

"as I said to the RCMP officer, Sam's truck was in the lot where the helicopter was, and I said, 'If Sam does have something to do with this, it's very out of character from the Sam that I know,'"

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
eh? so it's the DEA's fault for killing him? The kid did a crime, got caught, and had to do time. It is ILLEGAL to smuggle drugs (and steal helicopters) in the US. That's what he did. They put him in jail. He offed himself. It has very little to do with whether you think drugs are fun or bad or the devil or natural.

I like driving fast, I think it's fun. It's also illegal. I'm not going to drive fast and then get caught, and say "I should be allowed to drive fast because it's fun, you guys are the criminals for setting up speed traps." Change the rule first, then play ball, not the other way around. He's just a perfect example of the "reset" mentality. Thought he could get away with anything, found out the hard way that you can't, and your actions have consequences, like jail time.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
eh? so it's the DEA's fault for killing him? The kid did a crime, got caught, and had to do time. It is ILLEGAL to smuggle drugs (and steal helicopters) in the US. That's what he did. They put him in jail. He offed himself. It has very little to do with whether you think drugs are fun or bad or the devil or natural.

I like driving fast, I think it's fun. It's also illegal. I'm not going to drive fast and then get caught, and say "I should be allowed to drive fast because it's fun, you guys are the criminals for setting up speed traps." Change the rule first, then play ball, not the other way around. He's just a perfect example of the "reset" mentality. Thought he could get away with anything, found out the hard way that you can't, and your actions have consequences, like jail time.
+rep :clapping:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan

Whats the incentive to speeding in your car? You get a little chubby out of it. Maybe you get to your destination a little faster. Theres nobody offering you a healthy living wage due to some outdated law that creates a blackmarket for an otherwise inexpensive commodity. Thats enough incentive for alot of people to take retarded risks they would otherwise balk at.

For all we know the facts could be totally different than whats reported in the news. Stolen helicopter? I doubt it. His truck was parked at the airfield and was well known around the parts. They didn't report it stolen until after it got back to them what happened... Covering their own ass I presume...

I'd like to think stories like this wouldn't even exist and people wouldn't attempt such idiocy if archaic laws weren't enforced. The DEA runs a business. If everyone obeyed the laws they would be out of business. You don't think on some level they encourage this kind of stuff? If they didn't they'd be out of work. And worse, who's going to question it? nobody, because the facts are withheld and true judgements can never be passed.

It's like fireman setting fires so they can go put them out.

Is it the DEA's fault that this kid is dead? who knows. probably not. He hung himself. Was the situation his fault? Yes and no. He chose to make the run, but why does the situation even exist? It's retarded. These laws take otherwise good people and create decisions for them that would otherwise never be even considered. Unlike mashing the gas in your car cause it makes you happy.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Let's say, just to play ball, that my job depends on me being able to get to my destination as fast as possible. Pretend I'm a sales rep for your favorite bike company. The more bike shops I get to, the more bikes I sell, the more money I make. To get to more bike shops in an 8hr day, I need to travel as fast as possible. So I speed, and break the law. I'm making a healthy living wage by doing it, but that doesn't make it right. Let's say I'm a trucker, with a wife and three kids to support. The more stuff I move, the more I get paid, so maybe I can finally get off welfare. So, I speed, and I break the law. In neither case is it legal to speed. You could argue that, yeah, the trucker should be allowed to speed so he can support his family, but that's against the law. The way our legal system works, for the most part, is very fair. Maybe the judge will see that Billy Bob Trucker just messed up a little, and was short on cash, so the fine won't be so bad. Maybe he'll see that Mikey McSalesrep was doing 120 in a 40mph zone, and therefore should lose his liscense. Likewise with this guy. Smuggling pot, especially in that quantity and over the border, is illegal. If the judge decides he deserves a stiff penalty, then that's what he gets. If he can't handle that, then he needs to not make the decision to move pot across the border.

I'm not arguing the whole "p0t R00lz" point of view...just that this kid broke the law, got what he deserved FOR BREAKING THE LAW, and couldn't deal with it.

For the stolen helicopter, if you hung around someplace daily, and maybe you were allowed to take an item out for a while, would anybody be concerned if you didn't return it for a day? Like if you worked at a bike shop, would anybody care if you took a bike out for a demo for a weekend? A helicopter is hardly a bike, but maybe it's a big airfield, so we just can't say.

Fact is, selling, in most parts growing, and smuggling pot is illegal. If you don't like it, write your congressman. Here in MA they just decriminilized 1oz or less, so it's just a slap on the wrist and a "get out of my courtroom". The system can be changed, but you have to play ball first. To say that he was just a victim of outdated laws is not right, he broke the law, and should not have chosen a profession that was deemed illegal.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Whats the incentive to speeding in your car? You get a little chubby out of it. Maybe you get to your destination a little faster. Theres nobody offering you a healthy living wage due to some outdated law that creates a blackmarket for an otherwise inexpensive commodity. Thats enough incentive for alot of people to take retarded risks they would otherwise balk at.

For all we know the facts could be totally different than whats reported in the news. Stolen helicopter? I doubt it. His truck was parked at the airfield and was well known around the parts. They didn't report it stolen until after it got back to them what happened... Covering their own ass I presume...

I'd like to think stories like this wouldn't even exist and people wouldn't attempt such idiocy if archaic laws weren't enforced. The DEA runs a business. If everyone obeyed the laws they would be out of business. You don't think on some level they encourage this kind of stuff? If they didn't they'd be out of work. And worse, who's going to question it? nobody, because the facts are withheld and true judgements can never be passed.

It's like fireman setting fires so they can go put them out.

Is it the DEA's fault that this kid is dead? who knows. probably not. He hung himself. Was the situation his fault? Yes and no. He chose to make the run, but why does the situation even exist? It's retarded. These laws take otherwise good people and create decisions for them that would otherwise never be even considered. Unlike mashing the gas in your car cause it makes you happy.

That is complete horsesh1t.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
It is of course a shame that this guy is dead. Anybody who builds a cool stunt like the hamster wheel has got my respect.

Maybe he was convinced by someone that it was a "fly there, fly back, no big deal" kinda deal. That's insulting to his intelligence. Could he have been that naive?

Maybe he knew exactly what he was doing. i.e. something highly illegal with a very real possibility of being caught and being made to pay with time in prison.

I imagine it was a combination of both, but in the end, I guess he knew he was screwed, which he was, and would rather die than deal with years and years in prison or dealing with the aszholes he'd have to deal with if he were ever to get out of jail.

I'd probably feel the same way. That's why I don't do stupid sh!t like flying helicopters full of weed into the States.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
By the way, I don't mean to poop on this kid's life and I don't mean to say that what he deserved was death. Any loss of life is tragic, especially somebody who maybe was a little naive or got in over their head...but I don't think it's fair to blame the DEA for his death or for enforcing laws that already exist and for the most part are there for a reason. Go to Vegas...if you gamble and lose, you can't ask for a redo.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I didn't know him but this is just very sad. It's hard for me to believe that he would do all that and not be prepared to face jail time. For that reason it kinda smells like there is something else going on, like he was up against more than that.

The DEA was probably pressuring him to rat out the supplier and perhaps other buyers, and there are no good options on that front. Maybe he was also in trouble with some of those folks, owed money, who knows?

The heli thing sounds fishy too, particularly with the time lag on reporting it stolen. Maybe the heli company or owner was in on the deal...takes lots of money to own a heli, not too hard to put that together... I dunno, it's all speculation and again, just sad.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
First, my condolences to this guys family, I'm assuming he had one, why else would he have ended it all.

I've always loved his segment on NWDIII and in some ways inspired me to build some of my backyard stunts, with aspirations to build contraptions similar to his Deconstructed Wheel. He will no doubt be missed by the biking scene if he already wasn't.

With that out of the way, I have no problems with what happened to him. The way I see it, he invaded my country. I'd be willing to bet that the trafficing charge was probably not the only charge they had against him. He probably illegally crossed the border regardless of what his payload was. He's lucky he didn't get shot down.

I would, however, like to know what the full events were because I don't think the DEA should be soliciting for people to break the law especially over the borders. I have a feeling this is just the opinion of the bull**** liberal media. The only thing I can think of is that they caught some low level guy that didn't want to give up his source, so he arranged the delivery with Sam BECAUSE THEY HAD ALREADY DISCUSSED future deals or maybe he had gotten away with this several times before. I find it highly unlikely that the DEA walked up to Sam while he was riding his bike on the North Shore and said "Hey Kid, you wanna smuggle a couple hundred pounds of weed into the US?"

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
He committed a crime (helicopter theft or not) and got caught. What is it that you morons do not understand here? It is illegal to smuggle drugs, whether you agree with it or not. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

It sucks that a young kid from our community died in such a terrible way, but seriously, have some sense of responsibility for your own actions.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
He committed a crime (helicopter theft or not) and got caught. What is it that you morons do not understand here? It is illegal to smuggle drugs, whether you agree with it or not. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

It sucks that a young kid from our community died in such a terrible way, but seriously, have some sense of responsibility for your own actions.
he obviously was in way over his head. the people i used to know who "smuggled" sht knew exactly what they were doing and i knew suicide was the last thing on their mind if they got caught.
im sure the DEA was pressuring him to roll on everyone, and im sure he couldnt deal with that.

i wont like, i love herb...but im not stupid enough to smuggle massive amounts of ganja. i let morons do that so they could make a buck off of my ass.

its too bad he thought the only option was to end his own life. its sad and IMO suicide is the easy way out.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
I would, however, like to know what the full events were because I don't think the DEA should be soliciting for people to break the law especially over the borders.
well it's not like they put up an ad on craigslist that said, "wanted: 350 lbs. of canadian weed, bring helicopter."

that weed would have crossed the border at some point whether or not the dea was involved.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I would, however, like to know what the full events were because I don't think the DEA should be soliciting for people to break the law especially over the borders.
well if youre dumb enough to do a 350lb deal w/ someone you dont know, then its your own fault. this played out exactly like the DEA wanted it to...except for his death.
i guess you can call it soliciting, but i dont think the DEA went cold calling people..kinda like Skinny Mike just said

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
he obviously was in way over his head. the people i used to know who "smuggled" sht knew exactly what they were doing and i knew suicide was the last thing on their mind if they got caught.
im sure the DEA was pressuring him to roll on everyone, and im sure he couldnt deal with that.

i wont like, i love herb...but im not stupid enough to smuggle massive amounts of ganja. i let morons do that so they could make a buck off of my ass.

its too bad he thought the only option was to end his own life. its sad and IMO suicide is the easy way out.
No one who takes their own life does it because it's the easy way out. There is almost always some underlying serious mental illness. Psychologically healthy, happy people do not kill themselves. For all we know he could have been on anti-depressants and not been able to take them while in jail, which would have sent him into a downward spiral of deep depression that left him without the ability to see any light at the end of the tunnel.

People who take their own lives do so to end long and intense emotional pain, a pain that they cannot relieve by any other means. Don't be so quick to label it as " an easy way out ". There is a lot more to it than you will ever know. And I hope that you or anyone for that matter never has to be left in the wake of a loved ones' suicide.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No one who takes their own life does it because it's the easy way out. There is almost always some underlying serious mental illness. Psychologically healthy, happy people do not kill themselves. For all we know he could have been on anti-depressants and not been able to take them while in jail, which would have sent him into a downward spiral of deep depression that left him without the ability to see any light at the end of the tunnel.

People who take their own lives do so to end long and intense emotional pain, a pain that they cannot relieve by any other means. Don't be so quick to label it as " an easy way out ". There is a lot more to it than you will ever know. And I hope that you or anyone for that matter never has to be left in the wake of a loved ones' suicide.
This is a good point, there may be pieces of the puzzle we don't know about.

I think that phrase is thrown around alot in situations like this because of individuals choose to do instead of manning up and faces the consequences of their actions.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Ok this is third hand info, but according to my heli forum, it took 36 hours for the aircraft to be reported stolen, the owner kept it in a hangar, (making it hard to steal)... and ...this the best part....he was arrested 10 years ago for flying pot into the US....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ok this is third hand info, but according to my heli forum, it took 36 hours for the aircraft to be reported stolen, the owner kept it in a hangar, (making it hard to steal)... and ...this the best part....he was arrested 10 years ago for flying pot into the US....
Talk about trying to cover your own ass...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
MMike said:
Jeez, I figured something like that, stealing a chopper just doesn't make a lot of sense. Don't want to jump to conclusions but it sounds like Sam picked a pretty crappy mentor/role model. Wonder how that ****stick feels now?

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
This thread is about a young, sick rider who died unnessarily in the "war on drugs" dumbazz. Your avatar speaks volumes...
Come on now......

The war on drugs is stupid but it also creates a hyper-valued product that is illegal. Do you think Sam was in this operation to "fight the good fight", or was he out to make an ass-load of cash in a hurry doing something that he knew was illegal and dangerous? This isn't about pot. It's about bad choices plain and simple.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
That is complete horsesh1t.

Yea, imagine that people fly helicopters loaded with bales of a literal *weed* over international borders only to be chased by men in black suburbans who have assault rifles. And the whole goal of the men is to keep that plant off the streets so some dude doesn't eat 4 cheeseburgers instead of 1.

Its too bad a talented trail builder was caught up in this.

or anybody for that matter.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
You keep overlooking that the pot IS illegal, and conservatively speaking that much pot has a value of in excess of $500k, and where there is big money there ARE real criminals that will commit REAL crimes, like murder, for that half a million bucks. For every $500k bust there could be 99 loads that get through. That is real money.

If you don't like it, work to change the laws.

FWIW, I am all for decriminalization, and think people should be allowed (hell, even encouraged) to grow their own pot for their own use. Remove the market entirely.

Last edited: