Quantcast

Santa Cruz 2008

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Have they changed the rear shock on the V10 to a 9.5 x 3.0? a 2lb weight saving is damn nice.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
they hype the lower standover, but if they really cared they could've got it a lot better instead of having that bulge in the top tube......

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
I'm still waiting for a redesigned VPfree. Great idea, poor execution. If they made a VPfree with actual DH geo and an upright seat angle I would be sold. Wouldn't hurt if they made it hydroformed and dropped as much weight as possible.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
come on really, who would buy the santa cruz road bike?

but yea, all they care about is how it looks. then ride quality.

meh

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
come on really, who would buy the santa cruz road bike?

but yea, all they care about is how it looks. then ride quality.

meh
They've made road bikes for years. Met a few roadies who liked them well enough.

But, that's not a road bike. It's a cross bike. As for looks coming first, it looks pretty damn simple.

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
the new rear end of the V10 is just sexy. looking forward to test one and see how much different it rides from my V10. I guess the one pictured in the pinkbike link is a size small or medium?

kruppa

Chimp
Sep 9, 2005
I heard that they're going to present a new Vp-free together with V10 in
October. All I know is it's going to be lighter with mono top tube. I wonder if they make it's geo more dh and transform the VPfree to something like SOCOM.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
I like the V10, but it probably still won't make it to the top of my list.

They just killed the Lizaed with the EBB. I was waiting for an update but was hoping for ISCG instead of the EBB.

I think it's cool they came out with a CX bike, even though I don't ride CX. I think Rob got his start with bikes racing CX.

Now, just put the Jamie Goldman proto into production and I'll buy 2 - one SS park/play bike and one geared.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Daang, somebody put haterade in the watercooler.
An eccentric BB isn't the end of the world. In fact it's a very clean way to deal with chain adjustment on a single speed. If nothing else it's different. Which is hard to do these days with so many good hardtails being produced.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
get something else besides a santa cruz... bianchi cross concept or a surlly cross check.
Why in the name of god should he do that?
The people who work at santa cruz are about 100% more into 'cross than 90% of the rest of the bike industry...

They have plenty of employees that have paid out of their own pockets to go to places like Slovakia to wrench for free for the US national team, plenty of employees that race cross every wednesday, and most saturdays and sundays for months on end. They are in Surf City, one of the historical hotbeds of cyclocross, and well to put it simply, it is not hard to make a good 'cross race bike. And this one looks very nice. No dumb gimmics and all go, without the silliness that has fallen on their mountainbike line...

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I don't get the comments about the silliness of santa cruz' mt. bike line? The bikes of theirs that I have ridden have all worked really well (although longer travel vpp felt a little dead in the back), and I haven't heard too many horror stories of any sort of recalls or known problems with the construction or design. Is it really just a lot of hate toward the hydroformed hump thingy or is it something else?

oh, and to clear things up, the only santa cruz I have ever owned was a 99 heckler, so I'm not a fanboy or anything.

desmo

Chimp
Apr 26, 2007
get something else besides a santa cruz... bianchi cross concept or a surlly cross check.
couple of reasons...

1: SC has been good to me. I only have one of their bikes, a superlight. like it well.

2: it's new shiny and different.

3: probably out of my price range, so it doesnt matter what I say :)

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
yes it is.....why make a big hump that cuts into standover? seriously....
Help me understand why standover, within reason, matters on a DH bike? The hump is so far forward that your legs don't contact it and last time I road DH I wasn't sitting on the top tube. Maybe I'll try that nest time.

The hump makes sense from a structural standpoint.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I never really understood standover issues in the first place. after all, when you're riding the bike, your on it, not standing over it.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Help me understand why standover, within reason, matters on a DH bike? The hump is so far forward that your legs don't contact it and last time I road DH I wasn't sitting on the top tube. Maybe I'll try that nest time.

The hump makes sense from a structural standpoint.
for those of us that like to move the bike around a lot under us, and don't like hitting our knees on the top tube, it doesn't make sense......whatever, different strokes......

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Complaining about standover makes about as much sense as complaining about color. It just doesn't matter when you're riding.

The only time I've ever even noticed standover being an issue was cruising around on a buddy's XL Bullit. He's 6'9", I'm 6'1".

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
yeah Rennie is a big dude and he rides really hard so if he cant break that carbon link then no body can, I'm not really into this years models

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Are you sure about that? That is steep for an 8" fork on a dedicated race bike. All the top bikes are 65 - 64 before sag, and some top pros run even slacker on custom made bikes.
I think he found the 67 on the SC website. That can be achived with an 8" travel boxxer sitting at the minimum A-C distance. I have mine set up at 66 degree static.

However, when in the racing position, mine is closer to 63 degrees. I have measured other peoples DH bikes at 59-61 degrees in the racing position, most of those people complain about the bikes handling. Personally, I don't put any weight in static geometry numbers since I ride my bike.