Quantcast

Santa Cruz V10 head angle

tfree120

Chimp
Jun 11, 2007
Towson
I was looking at the geometry on the v10 and saw that the head angle was 67. I thought this was steep for a downhill race bike. Is there any reason for this?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
the logic is that with 10 inches of travel, the static HA doesn't tell all. Since you sag at about 4 inches, the bike gets alot slacker once you actually sit on it.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
I've always wondered about that statement about the V10's head angle.

Doesn't every DH bike with 8-9" of travel sit with about 30% of sag and still have a static 64-65 degree head angle.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I've always wondered about that statement about the V10's head angle.

Doesn't every DH bike with 8-9" of travel sit with about 30% of sag and still have a static 64-65 degree head angle.
yes but most people don't run 40%, or have 10 inches of travel.

But for the most part I agree, It could stand to be slacker.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I'm not fully convinced by the uneven sag (front to rear) required for correct V-10 set-up.
What happens to the head angle when the front brake is loaded on sustained steep sections and the rear is unweighted ? In these instances it must have by far the steepest head angle of and DH specific bike.

It obviously works though. It's been reasonably successful hasn't it !

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
I don't think so.

67 is just perfect, very manoubrable and yet stable at speed.

my dh bike got a 67 degree ha too.
Not sure if you're arguing about Peaty's bike, or simply voicing your h/a preferences. In either case:

Yes, Peaty does in fact use a slacker than production V10.

or

If your bike has a 67 deg h/a, it is likely
a. Not a downhill frame.
b. An older downhill frame.
c. A downhill frame with a smaller than intended fork.

All of which are perfectly ok with me.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Thought Peat just had the 1.5" head tube for the tiny top tube length increase ?

dest

Monkey
Aug 1, 2006
NYCity
well on my v10 i lowered the stactions as much as possible which slackens the head angle alot and if you watch the santacruz video on their site you will notice that minnar and rennie lower their stantions as much as possible...

i have been on my v10 for 2 months and love it handled great at plattekill and diablo..i had my doubts in the begining and asked all these questions so dont worry i actually think the v10 feels better than my sunday and i rode my sunday for 3 seasons, thought i was really gonna miss it...

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
well on my v10 i lowered the stactions as much as possible which slackens the head angle alot and if you watch the santacruz video on their site you will notice that minnar and rennie lower their stantions as much as possible...
If you're talking about adjusting the ride height on the fork......lowering the stanchions STEEPENS the head angle, FYI

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Lowering the stanchions through the crown increasing axle to crown length (slackening head angle) is what I think dest meant.

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
And then you get the m6, super slack and low but the same travel.:imstupid:

Minnaar isnt running a stock frame, I was speaking to his mom toward the beginning of the season while is was taking a look at it and giving it the quick parking lot test at his shop and she said it wasnt stock.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
his bike is not even a santa cruz and the head angle on his non V10 V10 changes with ambient temps, speed and velocity. DW is going to patent the technology in 2004. Duh

dest

Monkey
Aug 1, 2006
NYCity
Lowering the stanchions through the crown increasing axle to crown length (slackening head angle) is what I think dest meant.
exactly ..
and the pro riders for santacruz do it to there frames are stock except for peaty who has .5 of and inch longer top tube with a 1.5 headtube but everything else is the same as stock.....watch the video on the santa cruz site as the riders talk about their bikes....

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
or Dirt misquoted him? Could be any one of those, but i dont think it really matters here. Its a great bike and really worth getting.

Quoting the dirt mag

"Is it a production bike?
My bike is bog standard. Size large"

Does not look mis-quoted to me...

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Maybe he is on a stock FRAME, but with some bling parts. Then both are right.
back before the full custom frame in '07, Hill was on a box stock medium Sunday . . . with some nifty, custom e13 reducer cups to give it a slacker head angle.

truth of the matter is, it doesn't really matter if it's custom or not. every bike made has slightly different geometry from the rest, ad in preference for bar height, suspension sag, compression settings, bar/stem height, etc. when it comes down to it everyone has a custom bike as no 2 are really the same, and certainly no 2 from different manufacturers is the same once you get rolling.

Santa cruz is a great example: 4 extremely talented wc racers, 4 different riding styles, and 4 different bike set-ups. might be all the same on paper, but not on the track.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I don't think so.

67 is just perfect, very manoubrable and yet stable at speed.

my dh bike got a 67 degree ha too.
Have you been to a WC track? Actualy pros modern bike dont differ from production rigs that much in other cases but in HA they do.
Ie. In newest dirt mag there was Gee's bike with HA settings between 61 and 63 instead of 63-65.
Hill had a few different angle as well. Minnaar aparently rides stock though.

BTW. I still think that the HA is a bit steep on V10s for more techy trails. I know it's rather a bike for trails like for William (so does the team) but one deg. would be better. Also what's with the slackness of the m6? It's only 0.5 deg slacker than most of the frames.

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Some good info here:

http://dirtmag.co.uk/news/category/videos/santa-cruz-syndicate-v10-set-up/dirt-1234193.html

according to the riders, Rennie runs his forks fully dropped in the corwns to get a slightly longer wheelbase and a bit slacker head angle, Minnaar actually steepened his up a bit to suit his own style and becasue he felt it made the fork perform better, and Peaty's is on a 2-of-a-kind one-off custom job with a longer toptube and 1.5 headtube. People overly concerned about what the factory guys are running should take a good listen to what Peaty says at the end.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
Some good info here:

http://dirtmag.co.uk/news/category/videos/santa-cruz-syndicate-v10-set-up/dirt-1234193.html

according to the riders, Rennie runs his forks fully dropped in the corwns to get a slightly longer wheelbase and a bit slacker head angle, Minnaar actually steepened his up a bit to suit his own style and becasue he felt it made the fork perform better, and Peaty's is on a 2-of-a-kind one-off custom job with a longer toptube and 1.5 headtube. People overly concerned about what the factory guys are running should take a good listen to what Peaty says at the end.
Yes, it is like Peaty said, everyone has his own preferences and what works for some peaple won't work for others.

I don't think that an averge rider would be happy with angels like Gee or Sam use. In fact a wrong setup can make you slower....

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
Some good info here:

How did minnaar steepen it, because in the video you can see there is no stanchion above the crown, so that would be the slackest position, right?
Also a bit strange that minnaar doesnt know what components are on his bike.

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
thats because he has a full time mechanic what does his work for him so he doesnt have to sit in forums and talk about parts 24/7, he can go and ride

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
How did minnaar steepen it, because in the video you can see there is no stanchion above the crown, so that would be the slackest position, right?
Easy, put a headset spacer under the crown. Also, i'm pretty sure a lot of the footage is taken from Worlds (edit: nevermind, it seems to be from maribor and ft. bill too) and a fair number of riders were getting their bikes as slack as they could for that track so it might not be his standard set-up. i believe Minnaar also put spacers under his direct mount to get his handlebars a bit higher on that track. he still had them installed at Ste. Anne as well. Most of those guys either run Rennie's set-it-and-forget-it approach or have a baseline that they alter slightly. and then there's Barel . . .

Last edited:

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
Ie. In newest dirt mag there was Gee's bike with HA settings between 61 and 63 instead of 63-65.
Hill had a few different angle as well. Minnaar aparently rides stock though.
:confused:
Im a bit confused here,......... Im missing something on the concept.
would pro racers not want a more responsive, racey, head angle,.... ie steeper rather than slacker.? They (pro dhers) are the ones with the Jedi like reflexes.

So would that not mean for the average rider (without jedi reflexes) that a production mode would be slacker......?

but in reality they sell steeper angled fronts to the ones who can handle it the least.... whilst the pros have slacker head angles who dont need them?

bit of a paradoxical situation..... or maybe I got it all wrong?

although I do understand that a worldcup track is totally different than what most v10s are used for.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
would pro racers not want a more responsive, racey, head angle,.... ie steeper rather than slacker.? They (pro dhers) are the ones with the Jedi like reflexes.

So would that not mean for the average rider (without jedi reflexes) that a production mode would be slacker......?

but in reality they sell steeper angled fronts to the ones who can handle it the least.... whilst the pros have slacker head angles who dont need them?

although I do understand that a worldcup track is totally different than what most v10s are used for.
I'm not a race mechanic or bike designer, but I believe racers can't be categorized in that way. Who knows who wants what setup.

mike425

Monkey
Apr 16, 2004

I think the idea is that a Pro racer is going to be going at least twice as fast as most people at any point on a course, hence the slacker headangle allows for this. The bikes will turn a lot sharper for them in tight corners becuase they will be going faster, Thats how I interpret it anyway

Cheers

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
Easy, put a headset spacer under the crown. Also, i'm pretty sure all the footage is taken from Worlds and a lot of riders were getting their bikes as slack as they could for that track so it might not be his standard set-up. i believe Minnaar also put spacers under his direct mount to get his handlebars a bit higher on that track. he still had them installed at Ste. Anne as well. Most of those guys either run Rennie's set-it-and-forget-it approach or have a baseline that they alter slightly. and then there's Barel . . .
the footage was from Ft William

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

Most pros want the slacker HA and longer WB for greater stability. We don't ride on such high level we need extra stability and even If some of us do we don't go for WC type courses.(or some euro cup coruses ;) ). Actualy even the techy trails are not that narrow compared to some local stuff (look at the movies how vide most stuff there is) so the bike don't have to be that good at slow speed very tight corners. Was only in Maribor from WC tracks but man after complaining about the length of my rig after the whole season I was really happy it was that stable. To go faster extra deg in HA would not be a bad idea and I'm not a pro and Maribor in most places is not that damn steep.
Also take into account that Gee has another bike for traning with normal HA. The steep as hell setup is for racing on WC tracks.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Also, a slacker head angle maintains the ability to steer on steeper terrain. I'm sure many of you have had the experience of stuffing your steeper angled trail bike into a corner only to have the front wheel dig in and send you over the bars. Stability (meaning a bike that doesn't have hyper-sensitive steering) and the ability to change direction of steep trails necessitate the slacker angles. besides the extra speed these guys carry, a lot of them have adopted a riding style that puts their weight farther over the front wheel and require a slacker bike to feel like they aren't going to flip over.

Last edited: