Quantcast

SCORBA National race is coming!!!

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
So....

Due to an unavoidable happenstance with work, I am not going to be able to attend this years National Championship at Mammoth. Bummer. :mumble:

Thus the invention of SCORBA, or Santa Cruz Off Road Bicycle Association.
If I can't go to the nationals, why not have the nationals come to us? This would be a completely illegitimate organization and the represent nothing but a whole lot of fun!

Here is what I propose; a two part event, invite only, scheduled after the current Mammoth national race. Registration fees would be in the form of a "manditory donation" of $5 or so. All registration fees would go straight to the fastest times of the day, and to help pay for the keg.

Part A: Basically this would be in the format of a race, but would really be a individually timed "group ride" down some sick Santa Cruz singletrack. Starting in the morning, this would only take a few hours to complete. Then everyone involved would be free to ride the trails until the afternoon. More details on this part to be decided later on.

Part B: Fire up the BBQ and everybody convenes back at my house for the mountain cross race and to see who wins the money pot. The Mountain cross course is yet to be decided. I think it would start in the diveway, go for 20 yds, hard right onto the sidewalk, 50 yds straight-away to another hard right, onto the dirt lot next door. This is where we could have some tricky stuff like a roller and some berms. Then turn right at the Avacado tree back to the start. (this part will be hard because of the slight uphill grade.) At the finish the participants will have to take a shot or drink a whole pint of premium beer or both. When the glass is empty and it touches the table is when you "finish". Oh yeah, the only bikes allowed for this mountain cross race would be 16" wheel pixie bikes. Some bikes will be provided, I have 2 right now. I need to get at least 2 more.

Would any of you guys like to see this happen? I have enough friends that would help out that all we would need is participants. After the MtnX race we could have a "best XC outfit" contest and I talked to a band we might be able to get to play.

Let me know what you guys think and if you would come.

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
I've been talking about doing something like this all last year, of course i never did anything about it. It sounds HELLA sick!

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
GiantRider said:
Sounds cool im down, but whats up with the invite only.
Well, I live right across the street from UCSC. Do we want 100 freshman crashing our party because we put up fliers? No. They are stupid, and when they show up the cops get called. So, the invite will be in the form of a PM or email. You will be invited, kooks will not.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
surfinguru said:
Well, since I can't ride due to the never ending broken wrist, I'll be more than happy to be part of the "Heckler" crew and pitch in some $$ for the keg. :thumb:
Two popsicle sticks and some duct tape will take care of that! C'mon champ, get in the game!

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
A couple things have been decided and now we are moving things forward.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part A of the event will take place down Dead Campers.
I will pre-register anybody that emails me at SCORBAnational@hotmail.com

Everybody who rides down the hill and recieves a finish time will recieve 50pts towards the cash prize. The top 5 places will recieve bonus points;
1st +5pts
2nd +4pts
3rd +3pts
4th +2pts
5th +1pt

When you hand in your registration form and license fee, you will recieve a number plate and corrosponding nametag. Both of these will have a start time on them for the downhill ride. Don't miss your start time! The ride will start at 10:00am.

There are several things I'd like to mention about this part of the ride...
1. We do not want to encourage people to go faster than thier abilities are capable of.
2. If you crash, or get a bad time, IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER. You still have a chance to get enough points for the prize through the MTNX race.

3. The timed results should be used primarily for bragging rights with your friends.

4. This will be a one shot ride in pro-am race format. THERE WILL BE NO SCHEDULED PRACTICE. You can practice all you want, go hit up the trail today!

5. Don't try to blame us if you get hurt. It would be like suing your friends while being on a casual, everyday ride becuse your dumb-ass crashed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part B: MtnX race will take place around 3:30, so be sure to get back at my house by at least 3:00. You can use your own bike, as long as it's wheel diameter is no bigger than 16".
This race will have two class categories, over and under 21 yrs old. A helmet is required and full armor is suggested. I don't expect people to necessarily play nice.
We don't have a fancy start gate, so we had to make the start LeMans style. You will recieve a 2oz shot of Seagrams 7 on a table. You have to down the shot, run to your bike and ride the course, and to finish you will have to pound a pint of beer at another table. The first person to complete this will advance to the next round. (Depending on how many racers we have, it might be the first 2 advance.)
Top 4 racers will recieve extra points, first place recieves 6pts, 2nd gets 5pts, 3rd gets 4pts and 4th recieves 3pts. Everyone else will recieve another 50 pts. The under 21 class will have the seagrams replaced with 2oz shot of Nyquil and the beer replaced with milk. Goodnight kiddies! It's past your bedtime!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bring food to the MtnX race! We will have some on the BBQ, but I'm sure everybody will want to try your mom's casserole recipe. More details when I can think of them...

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
BUMP

I can certainly set the date for this event on the NEXT weekend, or October 9th. I think it would be fun to have it as soon after the Championship as possible though, so people still have it fresh in thier head what a real NORBA event is like.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
El_Chimichanga said:
I'm not current with Acadian events...I'm assuming it's some sort of problems you have with your left-over BORG implants? (i.e. metal screws and bolts)
well...same foot, different problem. Possible broken big toe on the right foot, and badly bruised arch on the left one...hurts like a sob. Would be strange to ride DH with sandals!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Acadian said:
well...same foot, different problem. Possible broken big toe on the right foot, and badly bruised arch on the left one...hurts like a sob. Would be strange to ride DH with sandals!
You could be an umbrella girl in the pits :thumb:

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
In order to accomodate for a lot of people I have decided that it would be best to place the event on Saturday the 9th of October. I hope I can tell everybody in time for the event. I've only got 3 pre-registrations, so everybody please sign up by emailing scorbanational@hotmail.com

So far I've spent $150 of my own money and spent the last two weekends digging out berms for the mountain cross race. I need to make sure people will come to this thing!

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
On second thought...

I want to do the first part of the race, but the 2nd part, I'm not so sure. I'm a uh... lightweight, if you know what I mean :D Can we just race for the hell of it in the first part? I'm willin to chip in the $5, don't care. I just want to have some fun!

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
DLo said:
On second thought...

I want to do the first part of the race, but the 2nd part, I'm not so sure. I'm a uh... lightweight, if you know what I mean :D Can we just race for the hell of it in the first part? I'm willin to chip in the $5, don't care. I just want to have some fun!
Don't worry about, just come and have fun.

I started on the whoop section today...

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
Acadian said:
?? Cambodia?
Yeah, he's on some crazy world cruise with like, 1000 hot ladies. He is supposedly doing this instead of going to UCSC for this semester. It's kind of a perverted exchange student program on the love boat. Right, like he is going to learn anything other than "when you are outnumbered 6 to 1 on a ship, you are going to have a line of ladies waiting out your cabin door."

See you when you get back aaron, and we'll have some nice pix for you of the race.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Well, I might have to flake on this :( My rear shock has oil spewed all over. You guys have fun and snap some shots!!!

I'll call you up Max, if I can make it. Hope you find a bike by then too.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
If you're going to offer me a spare shock, thanks, but no thanks. I have no wish to blow up your shock too.. I do have a PUSH, but I'm weary of that gettin blown. We'll see how it goes. Chances are I'll probably just say f it, and come out anyway :thumb: