Quantcast

Scotchy scotch scotch

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I used to bartend at the Puchbowl in Denver back in the mid 80's. Glenlivit was upper shelf and a favorite of yuppy men who wore pink framed glasses and aligator shirts with upturned collars. To me it kind of smelled like vomit. I still prefer beer. :)

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I bought my dad a bottle of the 18 year old Glenlivet from Costco out of all places. He said it was pretty good.

I've tried scotch, the one nice thing about it is that it's higher end......meaning you don't get a hangover like on the cheap stuff. I mean hell the 12 year Glenlivet is like $30 a bottle (18 year was $50 I think).

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I like both Glens... wow, that' sounded wrong.

Tho I prefer jonny walker, talisker, Bruichladdich, Wild Turkey and a few others more... not in any order.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
My Pops liked Glenmorangie, or Glenfiddich I beleive. I spent a year carrying my school supplies in one of the old stout cardboard tubes the bottles came in. While wearing my Budweiser shirt.
My kid cant wear his friggin Hooters shirt to school, and they confiscated and "lost" my Guinness bar towels that he took to school as part of his Ireland report and display. Not trying to hijack the thread here but...
:rant: :rant: :banghead: :banghead: :disgust1:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
What year was is MMike? I've had a couple bottles of the Glenlivet 18 year over the past couple of months...I really dig the Glenmorangie 12 year. I've been looking for the 15 (cause the 12 is sooooo smooth!!) but haven't been able to find it locally....Talisker kicks my a$$....Big fan of JW Blue too...

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
OK stupid scotch question. I was recently given a bottle of Chivas 18 year old. Is this good stuff? I have a flask and am thinking it's a good thing to warm one up on a cold Vermont ski lift. Good? Bad?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
OK stupid scotch question. I was recently given a bottle of Chivas 18 year old. Is this good stuff? I have a flask and am thinking it's a good thing to warm one up on a cold Vermont ski lift. Good? Bad?
Yes. It is good. This (and Tangueray) kept me well intoxicated on my 52 hour odyssey back from Thailand. It was well worth it.

Take flask. Fill with Chivas. Ride lift. Pull from flask heavily.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Speaking of two different animals Mmike, your Glens are two different as well. The fiddich, like a glenmorangie or Lagavulin is a peaty style, earthy type scotch whereas the livet is more a citrus, lighter low peat style. Between the two glens and the blended scotches like dewars, etc there is little difference because as far as single malts go, the glens are of low quality as it is when compared to some of the higher end stuff.

do your research newbs. I love me some scotch and am less picky about single and blended. Prefer me something less peaty unless it's an after dinner thing. give me a stella and a dewars rocks and I'm happy generally.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I have a groundskeeper Willie-type here at work instructing me....He told me the Livet would be lighter than the fiddich.

There was another one whose name escapes me that is made on the coast somehwere. It's kept outdoors and so the barrel have been somehow permiated by salt, so the scotch supposedly has an ever-so slight saltiness to it....

Speaking of two different animals Mmike, your Glens are two different as well. The fiddich, like a glenmorangie or Lagavulin is a peaty style, earthy type scotch whereas the livet is more a citrus, lighter low peat style. Between the two glens and the blended scotches like dewars, etc there is little difference because as far as single malts go, the glens are of low quality as it is when compared to some of the higher end stuff.

do your research newbs. I love me some scotch and am less picky about single and blended. Prefer me something less peaty unless it's an after dinner thing. give me a stella and a dewars rocks and I'm happy generally.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
There was another one whose name escapes me that is made on the coast somehwere. It's kept outdoors and so the barrel have been somehow permiated by salt, so the scotch supposedly has an ever-so slight saltiness to it....
Knowing the damn Scots that's probably just a story and the truth to the saltiness is much more disgusting. :dead:

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
so i went to a restaurant/lounge here in minneapolis last night and it had macallan 50 year above the bar. never seen that before. and probably never will again. at 350 an ounce, i'll have to become an investment banker to explore that realm. aw fook.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
red johnny walker is, by far, my mind altering liquid of choice. chivas and ballantines are distant 3rds, behind local pisco.

i dont drink much beer (virtually none at all). local brews are crappy and a JW red 750ml bottle goes for like 10 bucks here. its impossible not to!
call me whatever you want, y'all booze snobs, but i gulp it down with red bull 50-50 and ice.
1/3 of bottle and 1-2 cans of red bull and am ready.