Quantcast

Scotchy scotch scotch

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
red johnny walker is, by far, my mind altering liquid of choice. chivas and ballantines are distant 3rds, behind local pisco.

i dont drink much beer (virtually none at all). local brews are crappy and a JW red 750ml bottle goes for like 10 bucks here. its impossible not to!
call me whatever you want, y'all booze snobs, but i gulp it down with red bull 50-50 and ice.
1/3 of bottle and 1-2 cans of red bull and am ready.
Scotch and red bull.....the breakfast of champions.....

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
red johnny walker is, by far, my mind altering liquid of choice. chivas and ballantines are distant 3rds, behind local pisco.

i dont drink much beer (virtually none at all). local brews are crappy and a JW red 750ml bottle goes for like 10 bucks here. its impossible not to!
call me whatever you want, y'all booze snobs, but i gulp it down with red bull 50-50 and ice.
JW Red is good! Good value, tastes good as well. Not sure about red bull and JW, though....not saying you have to drink it straight, but red bull?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
JW Red is good! Good value, tastes good as well. Not sure about red bull and JW, though....not saying you have to drink it straight, but red bull?
if you havent try it, my advice is do it.
its surprisingly good. the combination is much better than the sum of the ingredients.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!

There's nothing wrong with JW Red...especially for that price!

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Yes. It is good. This (and Tangueray) kept me well intoxicated on my 52 hour odyssey back from Thailand. It was well worth it.

Take flask. Fill with Chivas. Ride lift. Pull from flask heavily.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
Was in the single digits yesterday and my brother and I used the flask to keep warm. The only thing we had to watch was below freezing metal flask and warm lips & tongue (remind you of "A Christmas Story"?)

Chivas = warm in the belly :thumb:

Jeff P.

Monkey
Nov 13, 2006
East Bay, Ca
...i think i am glad i cant watch the vid at work. This thread reminds me to pick up my glenlivet from my dads house, and my bottle of jager...and my bottle of patron, crap i have no good alcy in my apartment! Must remedy...

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
just picked up a 1 ltr of johhny green from duty free on my way back from mexico.. $35!!! iknow i know, i should have stocked up for that price..

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Got another one...Balvenie Doublewood Single Malt

Something occurred to me. How do you START a business like this? Ok...brew up some scotch, then WAIT 12 years before you can sell it. How do you stay alive for those first 12 years?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Got another one...Balvenie Doublewood Single Malt

Something occurred to me. How do you START a business like this? Ok...brew up some scotch, then WAIT 12 years before you can sell it. How do you stay alive for those first 12 years?
I have a bottle of Balvenie 10yr that has been pretty good. Tried some Glenfiddich last night and it seemed good...probably should try again without having 5 or so drinks before that...

Yeah, you don't jump into the scotch business

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Aberlour 10 yr... I think I should have waited on the Balvenie...it tops them all. Aberlour is ok. Similar to Glenfiddich I think...

amazing how "cheap" Jack Daniels tastes to me now. I know it's apples and oranges. But it's so sweet compared to scotch....

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Trying Bowmore 12 yr now.
http://www.bowmorescotch.com/html/12yearold.html
Meh. Not a fan. It tastes like smoke. It's not that it has a smokey flavour. No. It tastes like SMOKE. I put a tiny bit of water in it. It's a little better. It's not that it's AWFUL. But for what they sell it for? I'd rather go for Glenmorangie or something.

Bro bought me Glenmorangie Golden Nectar when he was in Wales. I'm trying to make that last as long as possible.......

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I finally laid my hands on a JW Green Label bottle. Much better than the Black Label and not even close to the cost of the Blue. It's pretty darn good. Liquor store near me (read: 2 blocks away) finally started carrying it.

Also picked up a bottle of this:

I think it will be sampled (heavily) tonight...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Well I now know what $89/bottle scotch tastes like....I bought the Macallan 12 yr. the other day. I was too cheap to go for the 18 yr at $119/bottle (750 ml)

Wow. It takes a special kind of brother to have such a fine selection of bevvies at one's disposal.

(And I don't mean that in an...urban(?) way)

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I like the playing with the single malts when I'm comparing because they tend to taste so different, but as just a drink I think I've decided I like blends better. Dewars White (bars) and 12 (home) have been my go-tos for a few months now. Need to branch out though... any blend recs?

Also, has anyone tried the Trader Joe's label Macallan's? Any good?