Quantcast

Scott Gambler 20 2010

APIOQM

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
I need some more opinions on the Scott Gambler 20 2010. I'm able to get 25% off bringing it down to $3000 CAD so I am really looking at it as a good choice, I just don't know how DH capable these frames are. Although its spec'd as "DH geometry" as well as the Gambler 10, it only has a smaller HT angle, and longer stem, and chain-stay length then their "FR geometry" for their Gambler 30. The wheelbase, and BB height are just as high as on the Gambler 30, and that's what worries me, because its higher and shorter then pretty much any other DH bike I can find. Is this a factor, or does it really make a difference?

APIOQM

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Id say it for sure matches up to the others with the +10mm to the WB. Would it be ridiculous going any less then 64 for the HT angle, and how much would that affect BB height/WB? Also, how much does the rear travel affect WB and BB height? I'm guessing the less you have the longer and shorter the bike, which setting are the numbers from their website on?

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
Alright, where to begin, myself and 2 other friends ran this bike 2 years ago.
The bike is completely capable, Memmelaar qualified for 2 world cups on the Gambler.

i am 6'3" had previously raced a Medium Sunday, and the M/L SCOTT is instantly comfortable... very predictable and confidence inspiring. The bottom bracket is a bit higher obviously, but it monstertrucks rough terrain well. I ran it 64deg. 8.2" 16.9" chainstays 90% of the time... solid bike, little bit heavy.
regrease linkage bolts right away 1 of mine seized, water accumulates in strange areas of the frame...

changing travel does not alter geometry in any appreciable manner, but you will need to change spring rates.

EM-EFER

Monkey
May 29, 2007
I raced and ridden a Scott Gambler for two years and will be riding something different this year. This bike is fully DH capable unless you suck on everything.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
who with the right mind rides a muddy mary front, wicked will back combo?
I have ridden that combo and liked it. The Wicked Will rolls a lot faster than the Muddy Mary and is a stiffer tire is G-out cornering situations (lower profile nobs). In mixed/loose dirt the Wicked Will sometimes wanders as a front where the MM digs into the loam a bit better. The WW doesn't slow down very well but it holds it's line in off camber stuff kind of like a Minion DHF. Depends on where you ride. Have you tried that combo?

Here is a shot of me on that combo

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
About the DH capability of the bike:

Nick Beer got 6th at Andorra
is current European Champ
as well as 1st overall in the European IXS DH Cup

Fabien Pedemanaud got 6th at Maribor

They both run 230mm of travel with their forks slammed. The headtube is 115mm long so you have lots of room to slide your stantions up or down in the crowns. With 230mm of travel the bikes are pretty low at bottom out. I am currently running a proto link and headtube putting the bb at 345mm and 62° head angle. Those guys are totally happy with the stock geo and don't want to go any lower. The bike won't hold anyone back. They are coming off of a 303, Makalu and an M6 so I am stoked that they are happy.

APIOQM

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Thanks for all the input guys, I feel much more confident with my purchase now.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I have ridden that combo and liked it. The Wicked Will rolls a lot faster than the Muddy Mary and is a stiffer tire is G-out cornering situations (lower profile nobs). In mixed/loose dirt the Wicked Will sometimes wanders as a front where the MM digs into the loam a bit better. The WW doesn't slow down very well but it holds it's line in off camber stuff kind of like a Minion DHF. Depends on where you ride. Have you tried that combo?

Here is a shot of me on that combo

no, only wicked will front, muddy mary back