Quantcast

Sea Otter 2007

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
re. hill......I'm a huge hill fan, nothing gets me more stoked than to see him ruling a nasty loose offcamber corner.....but I feel like calling Bullsh!t on him not diggin' the course so just styling.....we all know that rennie rules the big dirty gnarlfest courses and he was able to throw down on this very much not a typical course.....racing's racing, if you're gonna be there, put the pedal to the metal.......especially when you're wearin' the fresh stripes........
I agree 100%...particurly the last part.:thumb:

That's why Palmer still has such a following. He had zero fitness in the first few seasons and yet pinned every single run he ever did, even if it meant collapsing at the finish line...which he often did his first full season. He said himself that he blew up on race day and spent the other 6 recovering for the next race.

The idea of a guy lucky enough to get paid to do something every other rider would love to do "phoning it in" just doesn't sit well with me. Why pay for someone to show and LOSE? Nobody on that course could have been excited to wait courseside for the reigning DOWNHILL WORLD CHAMPION to fokk off? That would be the biggest disappointment a kid could have.

RC & McGrath didn't go out and do parade laps until AFTER the races.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
re. hill......I'm a huge hill fan, nothing gets me more stoked than to see him ruling a nasty loose offcamber corner.....but I feel like calling Bullsh!t on him not diggin' the course so just styling.....we all know that rennie rules the big dirty gnarlfest courses and he was able to throw down on this very much not a typical course.....racing's racing, if you're gonna be there, put the pedal to the metal.......especially when you're wearin' the fresh stripes........
Maybe he is coming down with a case of 'the curse of the rainbow'?

Or maybe he is gonna be bitter all year having to be in same pit as his ex.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Wish I was at the otter, looked to be a lot of fun, minus the sat. downpour. Sam Hill whining about the track and not doing practice runs? I hope this is rumor, no way for a world champion to behave.

come on Stik...I'm not going to argue with you, but like Sam would be the first pro racer to ever complain about a course...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey

I'm pretty sure Sam is gonna kill it in Spain. Yeah - he could've easily won or at least placed top 5 in the DH, but the reason why he didn't - only Sam knows the answer to that.

(From interviews I've read) he seems like the kind of guy that takes what he does very seriously and comes across as very competitive - in his own understated way - :)

I don't think Sam has let his personal life effect his racing - it's none of my business what is going on there, but he's shown a lot of maturity, focus, and drive thusfar which leads me to saying:

You don't get to be World Champ by half-assing ANYTHING.

:biggrin:

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
i doubt if Sam & Sabrina's relationship is really taking a toll... yah, it'll be uncomfortable for a bit, but they're both professionals, & they can get over this to accomplish their goals.

Sam didn't practice much last year either.... so it's no big surprise that he didn't practice much this year. his choice.. although i'm bummed that i didn't get pics of him in practice though... oh well... i've got fontucky to look forward to! haha

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
BTW you guys flooded out in Long Island? Heard the rain got stupid heavy down your way.
No flooding by me. It's mostly on the South Shore. More beach erosion than anything really. Not like we're having Katrina flooding or anything.

As Sam chuckled after the downhill, "every year I do worse in the Sea Otter but better at the World Cups." Maybe there's a connection there.

Sam and Sabo seemed to get along fine all weekend. Dinners, hanging out, practice, etc. I don't think anyone is making a fuss over it really. Life moves on.

Acadian....complaining is one thing, but not giving 100% effort when people pay you to=lame.
I can assure you that no-one from the company is upset at his Sea Otter results. He did three events, did photo shoots with the media and sponsors, hung out with fans, and had a fun weekend. If any team sponsors are worried about his results this weekend they all have my number; but I know they won't be calling about it.

Sam didn't practice much last year either.... so it's no big surprise that he didn't practice much this year. his choice.. although i'm bummed that i didn't get pics of him in practice though... oh well... i've got fontucky to look forward to! haha
Not like many people get pics of him in practice to begin with LOL Sam is a friggin ninja!

-ska todd

slobeone

Chimp
Dec 1, 2004
It's funny how people can assume what Sam was doing this weekend. He raced Super D, Slalom, and DH is that what you consider 'phoning it in'? The kid loves to ride his bike but how good of a time can you have when the organizers change a practice time, don't tell anyone and then turn you away. Lame.

dhjoe

Chimp
Jan 2, 2005
Boulder, CO
Back a few pages ago someone asked about Jurgens team in 95'....He rode for Barracuda that year and it was a pretty high dollar deal. I worked for barracuda in 94' and had a 2 yr contract with them, but at the end of the season that place was in such chaos I asked them to get out-they let me go and hired Joe Buck as well as bringing on Jurgen (adding to EC and Kight). The bike Barracuda attempted to make was the 2nd or 3rd biggest piece of sh1t ever.

And Cully, I have not spoke with him yet today but I talked to him when it was raining saturday he said "I am sitting in my rig with heater on and gonna watch the racing"...he never was one for mud hahaa. Don't know if he ended up racing slalom. He is back into riding bikes, having a lot of fun and wants to enter a few more races this year. He is going to crankworks, I know that much.

Wish I was at the otter, looked to be a lot of fun, minus the sat. downpour. Sam Hill whining about the track and not doing practice runs? I hope this is rumor, no way for a world champion to behave.
Does anyone here know how to get a hold of Jurgen? I knew him when he lived in Colorado and have since lost touch. It would be nice to re-connect with the guy if anyone has the info. An email or phone # would be great. Feel free to PM anytime.
Thanks, Joe

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Nice vid Fraser!

I'm probably wrong on this one, but is that the Stones' playing in the background?
Give Kevin the kudos, he shot it and edited it. I just provided the medium to display it. Also, building it up in flash was a pain in the ass to get working, I take it all is well so far?

Van Morrisson band for music i think?