Quantcast

self-defense....what do you carry?

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Can't get them for personal use in the states (at least I don't think that you can), but with a dad as a cop, it's pretty cool to swing them around the house and hit your brother with it.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
For the love of god not a knife.... please not a knife.
let alone a folding knife.
imagine a self-defense scenario where you have enough time to pull out your knife and then unfold and then use it. yeah right. like thats going to happen. :brows:
and then, the only way to surely use a knife to stop someone on its tracks is to stab the side of the neck (hard), or stab the back and rupture a kidney which induces shock (harder). anything else, and you wont stop a threat for sure and might end up stabbed.

for self defense i usually avoid, as much as i can, risky places and risky hours.

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
No knife. My vote is a whistle and pepper spray, both of which can be easily carried on a keychain in your hand without attracting weird looks. Check here.

Tasers are nice, but most of them you actually have to be touching the person with it in order for it to work. Too close for comfort.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Desert Eagle Mark 44. Carry this under the seat in the car. Nice having a concealed weapons permit :D
um. that would be a Mk VII or 'mark seven' in .44 caliber.

i'm just being a smart ass because I have a Mk. III in .357 and I how to rebuild them [ugh!]

I love it, but i'd never use it for defense. that's what the Glock 32 in .357Sig is for.

but really, I'm a baton man.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
yeah, let's not get too technical now shall we?
On this forum???

perish the thought!

I had to rebuild mine because the return post in the upper assembly started to crack - oh my! the slide alone cost $400. I think it was the last MKiii they had in stock...

I keep it in a display case in Santa Barbara...

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Another vote NO for the knife idea. I've worked with enough law enforcement and military guys to know that a weapon is easily removed from a defendant's (or assailant's) hands.

Would Pepper Spray/Mace be an option?

Typically most predators, at least the ones you might face, are scared off by attention being drawn to them. A whistle or a high pitched alarm that attaches to your keychain would be preferable to a knife or gun.

http://www.defensedevices.com/keywitlig.html

I like the idea of this simply because it is discreet, doesn't require much movement to activate (unlike a whistle, which you must lift and blow into), and can't be turned against you in any way.

If you do choose to carry a weapon make sure that you get a good amount of training in it. Or use it in addition to something like the key chain alarm.

The Ito
In college I had this small square shaped alarm thing. You pulled the round metal pin out (grenade styles) and it emitted this ear piercing shrill noise.

So - I showed it to some tuff-guy friends (okay, they weren't really all that tough - it was, after all, a liberal arts college for weenies), but it was in Worcester Mass...and they were tougher than me...
Anyways - their reaction was that it was the most annoying toy they'd ever seen and if some girl did that around them they'd be more tempted to grab the thing, smash it, and then beat her up.

Besides - how often do people actually react if they hear an alarm go off...of any kind? Fire alarm goes off in a neighboring unit in a condo - no one reacts until their own unit is on fire....car alarm goes off....windows get smashed, etc...again, no one reacts. Considering the state of your average passive aggressive fool who's happy to flip people off from the safety of their car, but wouldn't actually ever do Anything out of their car...or will go after people who appear weaker than they are.

Example of weeniness: Driving home one afternoon, we stopped at a stop light. Single, wide lanes. Guy at the front had his left-turn blinker on, and there were several cars lined up in the oncoming. So - rather than sit and wait for this person to take a left (which in Vancouver, could be 3 lights later depending on who's driving the car that wants to go left), I pulled up to the car's right hand side to go 'straight' or around him, so he can take a left, and i can go straight, and everyone is happy.
Light turns green...I go straight. Guy with left-turn blinker decides that's not cool, so follows me home (he didn't see my guy sitting next to me). I park my car (several turns later, it was pretty obvious he was following me). My guy gets out of the passenger seat. Passive Aggressive bozo decides...oh - she's got a guy with her...and peels off. If I'd been alone, I'm sure he would have pulled up to give me some vocal haranguing about going around on the right (yes yes, not strictly legal, but so what? I didn't want to wait for some slow poke, and I merged back into the primary lane After crossing through the intersection). If he had any cajones on him, he would have stopped to say his piece regardless of the fact I had a guy with me. Pfft.

Anywho - I answere dlike three phone calls while writing this and totally lost my train of thought. I'll pick this back up after reading a few more posts. ! :)

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I just realized that y'all might think I might think the dude who followed me home deserved a good ganking. Well...that's not the case. And...I strongly suspect the guy would only have said whatever he wanted to from the safety of his car (even a woman can be scary these days! ;) ), or would have given me a 'look'. I don't much like jerkoffs like that, so I would have given him a 'look' right back...and the old guys in our building who think I'm nice probably would have come out to see what was going on.

Oh - and re: the 'please not a folding knife', why not? It's not one of those butterfly knives that you have to practice how to open in order to be steezy and careful. Just a flick of the wrist should open the blade, and they have a lock to ensure it stays open.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This reminds me of the only time I ever really was afraid of someone. When I was 16 or so I went to this record store in an open mall. In the store some creepy looking dude kept looking at me and following me. He followed me out of the store and into wherever else I went. That area had a lot people around so I wasn't worried but I had to walk through some back alleys to get to my car. It was obvious I wasn't going to lose him so I stopped into a sporting goods store and picked up a baseball bat. Never saw the freak again.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Oh - and re: the 'please not a folding knife', why not? It's not one of those butterfly knives that you have to practice how to open in order to be steezy and careful. Just a flick of the wrist should open the blade, and they have a lock to ensure it stays open.
Because you don't have the skill to use it nor will you get that skill in anything short of years.... and without that skill you aren't going to be able reliably stop an attacker.

So then you are left counting on the threat of the knife to deter an attacker. Well some drugged up dumbass may or may not even register the knife in his fogged head.

The pepper spray and whistle are the best ideas I've seen. It gives you the ability to deal with the threat at a distance with little or no skill, will stop the vast majority of attackers dead in their tracks, and you can bring a great deal of attention to your situation very quickly.

At this point, I hope you are just prolonging this thread for the fun of it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If your custom title has any link to reality a knife is a very bad idea for self defense. If someone is going to do you physical harm and they are much bigger than you unless you are well trained on how to use it they can easily disarm and turn the weapon on you. Yeah they may get cut up a bit but they could easily defend their vitals especially if they are wearing heavy clothing. If you are going to arm yourself you need something with stand off capability (pepper spray) because if it comes down to physical strength there is a good chance you will lose.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I just carry Ted Nugent around in my back pocket. If his gun jams, he just busts out a little Wango Tango and I make my escape when the perp loses himself with air guitar.

:cheers:

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
I recommend Aikido or jutsu.
Out of curiosity, do you train in either? My father runs an Aikido dojo here in Boulder... Boulder Aikikai. [/threadjack]

You should keep one of these on your person at all times.

Seriously though, pepper spray or a tazer would be sufficient if you really feel the need to carry something.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
This reminds me of the only time I ever really was afraid of someone. When I was 16 or so I went to this record store in an open mall. In the store some creepy looking dude kept looking at me and following me. He followed me out of the store and into wherever else I went. That area had a lot people around so I wasn't worried but I had to walk through some back alleys to get to my car. It was obvious I wasn't going to lose him so I stopped into a sporting goods store and picked up a baseball bat. Never saw the freak again.
I had that happen when I was like 25 or 26. I spent some time washing some pine tar from my hands in a rest room and I guess he figured I was gay and trolling. When I finally got tired of the douche following me through the mall, I swiftly approached him asking what his f'n problem was. He ran like a little bitch, turning clothes racks over. I was both concerned and pissed.

trickten

Chimp
Jul 13, 2005
Mid - MI
Unless you are trained in knife fighting a non deadly weapon would probably be better. It could be taken and used on you just as easily as a gun. Pepper spray is usually enough to deter but will not kill you if you end up on the other end.
I agree. I am a martial artist as well and I know that a knife could escalate a situation real quick. I suggest pepper spray, or something along those lines.

Great place to shop is

http://www.forthehunt.com/Auction/Browse.asp?Cat=902.

They carry everything from batons, to tasers, to stun guns, to sprays. What ever you decide, just be careful.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey

I never leave the house without my Holy Hand Grenade.
...and Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying,
'O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that, with it,
Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits in Thy mercy.'

and the Lord did grin,
and the people did feast upon the lambs
and sloths and carp and anchovies and
orangutans and breakfast cereals and
fruit bats and large chu--

The Book of Armaments Chapter 1, verses 9 through 27

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
What you do is walk through the area wearing Speedo's, swim cap and a fur coat while shouting "SNAKES, SNAKES, SNAKES".

After a week or so of doing that every night, you can go back to normal, and no one will mess with you.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Can you even buy batons in Canada?
Not sure - but a friend of ours (who is rather nuts, but that's another story) carries a baton in his car at all times. I think it's called a snap baton. When in storage it's about 4" in length. You 'snap' it down and it's suddenly 18", thin, and mean.

Nevermind! Replied before I saw the following posts.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
In college I had this small square shaped alarm thing. You pulled the round metal pin out (grenade styles) and it emitted this ear piercing shrill noise.

So - I showed it to some tuff-guy friends (okay, they weren't really all that tough - it was, after all, a liberal arts college for weenies), but it was in Worcester Mass...and they were tougher than me...
Anyways - their reaction was that it was the most annoying toy they'd ever seen and if some girl did that around them they'd be more tempted to grab the thing, smash it, and then beat her up.
Clark?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
charles bronson.

seriously though...a little can of pepper spray. They used to have this green foam stuff that would temporarily blind the attacker, cause intense pain (pepper spray) then dye his face green for about a month, making identification real easy.