Quantcast

Self Defense?

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
Do any of you other riders carry knives or batons or something like that while riding around town? I know since some drivers can be douchebags, or people trying to steal bikes, having a method of self defense is something I make sure never to leave the house without.

I carry a short blade Kershaw spring-assisted folding knife with me whenever I go riding. It's short enough to fall within CA's concealed carry laws (most I can get is a verbal warning for carrying under 18 and most cops don't even care).

So, do any of you guys carry protection? If so, what?

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
Don't carry anything really. But stick with the knife, I know in Texas batons are considered illegal weapons (ASPs, Clubs, things of that nature), and if you carry them concealed i believe its another knock, but they will definitely nail you with UCW( Unlawful Carrying of a Weapon )

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Seriously, do we find it that nessecary to have weapons while riding about the roads!!!! Damn guys, if someone is trying to forcefully steal your bike.... let it go, bikes are replaceable, your life isnt. I dont carry weapons while riding road, if anything I would take some pepper spray, but thats all. If I cant defend myself with My hands, or use my bike..... Its just not worth it at that point. Carrying a knife..... good idea, for many reasons, carrying a knife for self defense..... Not the best Idea, even being self defense, your going to be in a heap of **** no matter where your at when you use that knife against someone.

Oh, and the most you can get for carrying a knife under the age of 18 is jail time, not just a verbal warning. Dont count on the Cops to be understanding as to why your allowed to break the law. I know foa fact that if you get stopped by My sherrif friend, your going to jail for having a knife while under 18.... Period.

I do however carry a firearm when I ride in teh Local Mtns. Not for people, for Mtn lions/bears. We have them, they do attack from time to time. And on that Note, I AM licensed to carry a firearm in teh state of California

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Do any of you other riders carry knives or batons or something like that while riding around town? I know since some drivers can be douchebags, or people trying to steal bikes, having a method of self defense is something I make sure never to leave the house without.

I carry a short blade Kershaw spring-assisted folding knife with me whenever I go riding. It's short enough to fall within CA's concealed carry laws (most I can get is a verbal warning for carrying under 18 and most cops don't even care).

ummmm, isn't that called a switch-blade? :think:

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
Nope i used to have the knife he's talking about, since its not "fully" concealed in the handle its not a switch blade and it opens like a normal knife. I forget what the literature of the law states about those but I'm almost certain they're not illegal in TX.... Manimal Would know more on this subject.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I carry ferrets hopped up on meth.

No one will mess with you if you throw a hand full of crazed ferrets at them.

I call it organic, free-range self-defense.

Last edited:

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
No. Switchblades have a button you press to open them with, on a spring-assist, you open it normally and the spring flicks it out. It's still side-opening.

Switchblades are illegal because they can be placed up against somebody and stabbed.

Spring-assisted aren't, because if you put it up against somebody and open it, nothing will happen.

Nope i used to have the knife he's talking about, since its not "fully" concealed in the handle its not a switch blade and it opens like a normal knife. I forget what the literature of the law states about those but I'm almost certain they're not illegal in TX.... Manimal Would know more on this subject.
All I know is they're not illegal in CA either.

A switchblade is considered a weapon, while a spring assisted knife is considered a tool.

Has to do with what its intention as a knife was when it was designed

In the eyes of the law, if it's sharp, it's a weapon.

I have a friend who got in trouble for having his leatherman, because it has a (very sharp at that) blade.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I pedal fast and keep my eyes & ears open. Haven't needed a weapon in 20 years, and I ridden thru the South Bronx, Harlem, East Buffalo, 9th Ward, Frog Hollow, Hunters Point, Tenderloin...

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
Seriously, do we find it that nessecary to have weapons while riding about the roads!!!! Damn guys, if someone is trying to forcefully steal your bike.... let it go, bikes are replaceable, your life isnt. <snip>Not the best Idea, even being self defense, your going to be in a heap of **** no matter where your at when you use that knife against someone.
I don't actually need to carry a knife. I've never had any self-defense reason to have one. But as the saying goes: "It's better to have something you might not need than need something you don't have".

Chances are if somebody actually does something life-threatening to me, I'm going to submit and let them take my bike.

The knife is more of a repellant. I doubt somebody will try to take my bike unarmed if I pull a knife. If nothing else, it'll buy me time to get on to the bike (if I'm not already) and get the **** out of there.

<snip>I know foa fact that if you get stopped by My sherrif friend, your going to jail for having a knife while under 18.... Period.
I've been stopped for having a knife before. It was clipped on to my pocket. The officer asked me how old I am (to which I replied "17") and asked to see the knife. I handed it to him, he inspected it, opened it, closed it, then handed it back to me and told me to go about whatever I was doing but to not carry it again.

Maybe we just have cool cops in my area, but that's seriously the most trouble I got in. Now I keep it in my pocket and locked (so it's not like I can pull it quickly AND cops can't tell if I have it unless they search me, which they won't really have a reason to, as I stay out of trouble).

Since the locking mechanism on my spring assist broke, I've been carrying my Buck knife instead. No spring on that one, but it's still sharp.

I do however carry a firearm when I ride in teh Local Mtns. Not for people, for Mtn lions/bears. We have them, they do attack from time to time. And on that Note, I AM licensed to carry a firearm in teh state of California
I should probably note that then, for when I go true MTBing.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
No. Switchblades have a button you press to open them with, on a spring-assist, you open it normally and the spring flicks it out. It's still side-opening.

Switchblades are illegal because they can be placed up against somebody and stabbed.

Spring-assisted aren't, because if you put it up against somebody and open it, nothing will happen.

All I know is they're not illegal in CA either.

In the eyes of the law, if it's sharp, it's a weapon.

I have a friend who got in trouble for having his leatherman, because it has a (very sharp at that) blade.

Where did your friend get into trouble for having a leatherman? And no, the Eyes of the law are not If its sharp, its a weapon. Not sure who led you to belive that if its sharp, the law says its a wepaon, but thats not true.

The knife you have isnt illeagal in CA, you carring it however, IS illeagal. Your a minor.

Was your friend also underage???

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
No knives needed. I ride through some questionable areas sometimes and just go where I need to, pay attention and not do anything dumb.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005

The knife is more of a repellant. I doubt somebody will try to take my bike unarmed if I pull a knife. If nothing else, it'll buy me time to get on to the bike (if I'm not already) and get the **** out of there.

I've been stopped for having a knife before. It was clipped on to my pocket. The officer asked me how old I am (to which I replied "17") and asked to see the knife. I handed it to him, he inspected it, opened it, closed it, then handed it back to me and told me to go about whatever I was doing but to not carry it again.

Maybe we just have cool cops in my area, but that's seriously the most trouble I got in. .

Damn you really are Naive arent you, a Knife as a repellant????? Great Pull a knife..... get arrested for assult with a deadly weapon!!!! Doesnt matter what the situation. Thats just really a Stupid mentality to have. Please Please Please, take this bit of advise, leave the knife at home, dont even think of using it for a deterant, and grow up a bit. If the thought of using a weapon as a deterant is in your head you need to udnerstand something. If your going to Pull the weapon, you had better be DAMNED ready to use it without hesitation. Otherwords your going to be on the wrong end.

As far as the cops in your area, maybe there just being cool, but you got lucky, one day youll find that one that isnt cool that decides to take you to jail.

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI

PC 12020 says batons are illegal to carry.

Per PC 653k, "switch blade knife is defined as a knife having the appearance of a pocket knife and includes a spring-blade knife, snap knife, gravity knife or any other similiar type knife, the blade or blades of which are two or more inches in length and which can be released automatically by a flick of a button, pressure on the handle, flip of the wrist or other mechanical device or released by the weight of the blade or by any type of mechanism whatsoever.

Last edited:

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
I love my pocket knives (and have way too many of 'em), but it's not for self defense. They're great tools, but there are very, very, very few "self defense" situations in which pulling a knife is a good idea. The non-negligible chance that your knife will get taken away from you and used on you in a struggle far outweighs the cost of lost personal property.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
3/4 cup of chocolate ice cream with some granola sprinkled on top doesn't seem like a badass weapon. But I can assure you if I threw it at your skull and it hit you in the right spot. You be effed up my friend. Let me tell you!

Monkey
And If I am not mistaken you are also trained and Licensed as well!!! Correct me if I am wrong on that one please
most counties in California(at least the ones where most CA Monkeys live) don't issue to unimportant people. Sure, Sean Penn with a police record can get a permit from Marin county but average Joe? good luck.

SOme sheriffs openly said that if you aren't a retired cop they don't issue, call 911 and wait.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I have a concealed weapons permit, there not that hard to get. I went through the training coarses at SOTA. I am certified for Chemical, baton, handcuffs, and firearms. Havent done anything security wize in years, I just keep up with qualifications as needed, always nice to have a Fall back job waiting if you should ever need it

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I have a concealed weapons permit, there not that hard to get. I went through the training coarses at SOTA. I am certified for Chemical, baton, handcuffs, and firearms. Havent done anything security wize in years, I just keep up with qualifications as needed, always nice to have a Fall back job waiting if you should ever need it
I can see you working in a mall on a segway

Monkey
most people aren't interested in being security guards.