Quantcast

Self Defense?

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
My hands and my right pinkie toe are registered lethal weapons in a 5 state area.

Srsly, I don't carry anything on road rides. For MTB rides I have a knife in my pack, but I see it more as a tool than a weapon...in other words, I wouldn't pull it out in an altercation.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>

I do however carry a firearm when I ride in teh Local Mtns. Not for people, for Mtn lions/bears. We have them, they do attack from time to time.
Seriously? :confused:

I think that may be more paranoia than anything...

We have them (bears and lions) here too and I don't ever give them a second thought. :think:

And no, I've never carried a weapon on a bike.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

We have them (bears and lions) here too and I don't ever give them a second thought. :think:

I'd be more concerned about falling on a gun than getting attacked by a bear. I've almost hit a few out on the trail, I never would have had the chance to draw and fire on them anyway.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
HA, this from teh guy who comes on RM talking about laying a guy out int he bar!!!
Two words.....Tickle Fingers.
Yeah, seriously. We do have attacks in the local moutains here. I fix it up underneath my pack, so noone even sees it anyways, its a suggestion from a local ranger. His suggestion was that if we find ourselves in a situation, that a shot into a tree should do just fine, and the noise will run them off, but be ready just in case.

See above about where i keep it.

I'd be more concerned about falling on a gun than getting attacked by a bear. I've almost hit a few out on the trail, I never would have had the chance to draw and fire on them anyway.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Quoted for truth, a nice tool on the trail, bad idea for a weapon.

My hands and my right pinkie toe are registered lethal weapons in a 5 state area.

Srsly, I don't carry anything on road rides. For MTB rides I have a knife in my pack, but I see it more as a tool than a weapon...in other words, I wouldn't pull it out in an altercation.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>

Yeah, seriously. We do have attacks in the local moutains here. I fix it up underneath my pack, so noone even sees it anyways, its a suggestion from a local ranger. His suggestion was that if we find ourselves in a situation, that a shot into a tree should do just fine, and the noise will run them off, but be ready just in case.
I still think it's paranoia... ;)

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Unless things have radically changed in the last 5 years you are paranoid, sir. ;)

http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/lion_attacks.html#stats
Well, I like stats, and thats apretty cool link, But I am riding on the advice of the local rangers. I dont see them on teh bike, but whenI have been out on hikes, i have seen at least a half dozeb times pretty big cats, and three or four the bears. We havent had a Lethal attack in some time, but there are still reports at the local ranger station of attacks happening more frequently than the link listed

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I turn to chemical warfare when in danger. Pissing, pooping work well and projectile vomiting is a good stand off weapon.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I turn to chemical warfare when in danger. Pissing, pooping work well and projectile vomiting is a good stand off weapon.
If you're covered in your own bodily waste you are less likely to be eaten by a bear, but three times as likely to be hugged by an obnoxious drunk redneck chick who thinks you smell like a " may-unn ".

CraShRyDer7

Monkey
Feb 1, 2008
franklin lakes
i never have anything with me.. i have a bike tool, but idk if that can be used as a weopon. lol. put a blade at the end of ur seatpost, and pull it out if u need protection.