Quantcast

Short LBS rant (from the employee side)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I kind of disagree with some of your statements about LBS not being able to order bike's they don't carry. I was just talking about this with the Manager at my shop. He said he can order any bike from any company in 1's & 2's it just takes a phone call. But they won't do it for regular customers to much time and normally not worth it. This is a Kona/Scott Dealer. And they are hooking me up with a Santa Cruz V10 for 07.
It's called EP (or hookups through a rep), most shops won't do it unless you're pimpass buddies with them.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
However, I never want to hear about the LBS ripoff. If I felt like charging 500% markup, a customer is welcome to leave if he did not like the price.

The only LBS ripoff is not doing the work or selling used as new.
That's fine....I just don't like when shop workers get all filled with hate on mail order companies while having that kind of attitude. Go ahead, charge a 500% markup...but don't be pissed or surprised if/when they DO walk out and buy from somewhere else.

be-radd

Chimp
May 31, 2004
O-town
thats not true , any shop can get a santa cruz bike, they sell to who ever cause their small and take all the bussiness they can get, but they are talking trek which you have to be a dealer to sell, you cant get one or two bikes from them, the shop im at is a garyfisher lemond dealer and we cant get trek and trek ownes them.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
That's fine....I just don't like when shop workers get all filled with hate on mail order companies while having that kind of attitude. Go ahead, charge a 500% markup...but don't be pissed or surprised if/when they DO walk out and buy from somewhere else.
That's cool. As long as no complains about how part X cost $5 more at the bike shop than at Pupergo, or the local shop tells you to go bite it if you they won't discount a thing to a stranger who couldn't get his parts from UPS in time...

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Well I'm a super customer at my LBS I more or less ride for them. They have always hooked it up, well not at first took about a year and $4000. in parts but they are always cool. Velopro SB (Downtown) good shop!!

I kind of disagree with some of your statements about LBS not being able to order bike's they don't carry. I was just talking about this with the Manager at my shop. He said he can order any bike from any company in 1's & 2's it just takes a phone call. But they won't do it for regular customers to much time and normally not worth it. This is a Kona/Scott Dealer. And they are hooking me up with a Santa Cruz V10 for 07.

So yah I went to a Kona dealer and got a Santa Cruz.
Ordering a single bike from a smaler company (even SC isnt HUGE) especialy at EP usualy isnt TOO bad. But a company like, giant, specialized, trek and what not, you need to be a dealer

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
The bike industry gets 34% mark up, it's pretty freaken poor. That doesn't mean we pay 66$ for a 100$ part, it means we pay 300$ for a 400$ bike

The grocery business has an average profit margin of about 1%, and operating expenses of less than 10%, and they have to price match, give double and triple coupons and advertise "loss leaders" to get people in the door. When you see the $2.99 ribeye advertised, the store is probably taking it in the shorts to get customers in the door knowing they'll probably buy $100-200 in other groceries.

Your margin is considerably higher than a typical auto dealer, computer hardware store and many other businesses. Last time I bought network equipment for a large project I got my employeer the sales company made about 5%, I know because I had friends at the manufacturer.

I've said before, and I'll say it again. Internet bike and part sales are a fact. If LBS's want to survive they have to adapt. Obviously it's hard, if not impossible, for an LBS to compete solely on price. That leaves customer service and availability.

You can't expect a customer to wait two weeks for a special order and pay more than the internet price, they just aren't that dumb (o.k., a few are). What you reasonably can expect is that a customer will pay full (or near full) price for a part in hand when they need it. You can explain it by saying it simply costs more for you to stock infrequently needed parts, and the trade off is they get the part now.

As for customer service, an LBS can't afford to P*ss off any potential customers. Not that you or your shop are guilty of any of these but, these have happened to me. If the shop promises a bike will be ready at 3:00 PM it needs to be ready. A shop can't afford to turn away people for service because they have a two week waiting list. They can't promise to build a wheelset and then forget to order the parts after they have the customers money, and make excuses when a customer calls. Especially when you can order a wheel set custom built over the internet and have it delivered by the end of the week.

You could probably found a better way to deal with the first customer, but that's between you and the manager. My suggestion is to charge what the part costs mail order, plus the shipping cost minus the sales tax for a part if a customer shows up with a in-stock mail order price. You could have shown the first customer his effective price was about $37.50 with shipping, charged him that and he would have left moderately happy, instead of p*ssed off, now he'll tell everyone he talks to about how bad your shop is and how an employee yelled at him (even if it's not true).

For what it's worth both the potential customers sound like losers, but they talk to other people who aren't necessarly as big a losers, and might one day visit your shop.

P.P.S Nobody (even LBS employees) should have take abuse from strangers, that's what friends and family are for ;^)

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
1) It makes no sense to compare radically different industries - that's the old 'apples and pancake mix' argument. Seriously. The retail specialty bike biz is set at about 34% mean profit margin because that's what keeps the lights on.

Talented mechanics are paid about the same as grocery store stock clerks.

Shop managers drive Honda CIVIC coupes, at least 5 years old.

This margin is what keeps things about where they are now.

Now, mean profit margin for Bike MO - not the same as Retail [for this discussion] is around 23%-25%.

There might be assemblers and wheel builders, but for the most part, it's two or three guys, some phones, a website and a shipping department.

No free tune-ups, no mechanics fixing, adjusting, installing product [usually an MO customer gets either an LBS or the Mfr to fix it]

Overhead is much lower.

As is - it seems to work, just like the Retail version, at the higher margin.

2) What I usually did with MO guys - the ones who were reasonable and polite and such like - was work a middle ground. I told my sales staff that if there were any problems, don't argue - kick it up the ladder.

One thing you don't want is the jr. employee to make wild discounts or, conversely, get into a resentful shouting match with any customer.

For those few MO-types that were abusive or just plain nuts - I generally told them that the shop wasn't authorized to offer discounts outside of legally published coupons or other promotional offers [slick legal-ease talk] and failing to produce any such coupon or other offer prevented any discounts. "But check out the Independent for any upcoming promotions!" (- local newspaper)

3) Trek foo' - This would happen a lot, especially since the other major shop in town [our despised competitor] carried all the lines we didn't - customers would want us to sell them the bike that the other guy had on the floor - they just didn't want the other shop to get their business.

I exlpained that in most cases, we'd need to sign a Dealership Agreement which would entail purchasing at least 100 bikes, and maintaining at least 25% of that as built and on the floor.

I also would tell them that not all lines were so stringent, but Trek, Specialized, etc were very protective of their established dealers and wouldn't sell just one bike to another shop.

That took me about 10-15 confused an annoyed customers to figure out, but from then on, no one walked away angry, at least.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Why not do it for every one???? It's pretty simple, here is an example; we have a costomer who bought 2 sevens from us, one full record axiom, and a duo mountian bike. He didn't like the XT dual control on the duo, so we gave him a killer deal on some XO stuff and hopes. The guy has given us literaly more than 10 grand, he brings beer and hangs out, he gets a deal. Some ass hole off the street who has not only not given us money in the past but is a douche bag is simply not going to get a deal.
that is your choice to offer deals to who you want, but as I said before change your outlook and your disposition, and try to convert the guy, not try to talk down to him. there is a local shop where a bunch of richie snob a-holes shop. (my friend owns the shop) we get more people from this shop coming to us cause they don't like being talked down to than I care to mention. Some of the kids my friend has working for him have no clue what it means to provide good customer service. It sounds from your own description of the situation that you were turned off from the getgo, and sounds like you were ready for a confrontation instead of a conversion!

these are my observations from the facts that you yourself presented. only my observations and opinions.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
1) It makes no sense to compare radically different industries - that's the old 'apples and pancake mix' argument. Seriously. The retail specialty bike biz is set at about 34% mean profit margin because that's what keeps the lights on.

Talented mechanics are paid about the same as grocery store stock clerks.

Shop managers drive Honda CIVIC coupes, at least 5 years old.

This margin is what keeps things about where they are now.

Now, mean profit margin for Bike MO - not the same as Retail [for this discussion] is around 23%-25%.

There might be assemblers and wheel builders, but for the most part, it's two or three guys, some phones, a website and a shipping department.

No free tune-ups, no mechanics fixing, adjusting, installing product [usually an MO customer gets either an LBS or the Mfr to fix it]

Overhead is much lower.

As is - it seems to work, just like the Retail version, at the higher margin.

2) What I usually did with MO guys - the ones who were reasonable and polite and such like - was work a middle ground. I told my sales staff that if there were any problems, don't argue - kick it up the ladder.

One thing you don't want is the jr. employee to make wild discounts or, conversely, get into a resentful shouting match with any customer.

For those few MO-types that were abusive or just plain nuts - I generally told them that the shop wasn't authorized to offer discounts outside of legally published coupons or other promotional offers [slick legal-ease talk] and failing to produce any such coupon or other offer prevented any discounts. "But check out the Independent for any upcoming promotions!" (- local newspaper)

3) Trek foo' - This would happen a lot, especially since the other major shop in town [our despised competitor] carried all the lines we didn't - customers would want us to sell them the bike that the other guy had on the floor - they just didn't want the other shop to get their business.

I exlpained that in most cases, we'd need to sign a Dealership Agreement which would entail purchasing at least 100 bikes, and maintaining at least 25% of that as built and on the floor.

I also would tell them that not all lines were so stringent, but Trek, Specialized, etc were very protective of their established dealers and wouldn't sell just one bike to another shop.

That took me about 10-15 confused an annoyed customers to figure out, but from then on, no one walked away angry, at least.
very well put! I can tell you have spent a bit of time in retail as well!

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
I expect no special treatment at LBS's. I came into my (new) local bike shop about two months ago to have my wheel trued, I payed full price. I came in again about a week later to have my brakes tuned up and to have some new levers put on, I payed full price. I come in about a week ago to have bike gone over and have everything tuned up (I'm selling it) and they recognized I had been in there not only to get my bike fixed/maintanced but to get my helmet, pads etc etc. and they hooked it up by not charging me anything on the maintance.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Why not do it for every one???? It's pretty simple, here is an example; we have a costomer who bought 2 sevens from us, one full record axiom, and a duo mountian bike. He didn't like the XT dual control on the duo, so we gave him a killer deal on some XO stuff and hopes. The guy has given us literaly more than 10 grand, he brings beer and hangs out, he gets a deal. Some ass hole off the street who has not only not given us money in the past but is a douche bag is simply not going to get a deal.

I do support the one local shop I like (south mountain cycles). I've spend about $9K of my money there in the last year (racer-x and moto-lite frames, two high end forks, various components, and full enduro pro) and I've referred friends there too. They've earned their keep by being friendly, helpful, and generally very efficient at getting work done. They've made a mistake or two but didn't hesitate to make things right. They also didn't BS me about getting parts they didn't have, and were helpful in getting a couple of very particular parts my wife wanted. They usually have routine maintaince parts. The shop is small, but the people who work there really seem to like being in the bike business. They generally sell stuff at about the MSRP, but I seem to get a small discount probably because of the amount of business I've done with them. I love to hang out there, and have tipped the mechanics in the past. I don't expect special service but really feel like I've gotten it, and I appreciate it.

There is another shop nearby (landis). They are probably a decent shop, I've heard the mechanics are pretty good. The shop doesn't feel right, it's huge...it's just too retail. Prices are always above MSRP usually 10% or more, at least on accessories. They have almost "shop" type parts. I only go there for the few things I can't get anywhere else, like an electra cruiser for my daughter.

An then there is Performance bike (the anti-christ of LBS's). They have a huge stock of parts, lots of bikes. It's like the sears of bike stores. Because I drive by it on the way home, they have parts like cranksets in stock, and take price matches.. I frequently by mid priced parts there, but I will never buy another bike there. The mechanics generally aren't very good, most of the sales staff hate their jobs and dream of being real estate agents. But they have a massive apparel selection including all the major brands. You can stop in at 7:00 pm the night before a race and get just about anything you need, but you better know exactly what you want.

In a way these three shops represent the middle ground, the Nemun Marcus (w/o customer service), and the walmart of bike shops. I go to all of them for different reasons, but SoMo gets most of my large purchases. Performance (formerly supergo) I get chains, cranksets, and $150 shoes on clearance for $40. Landis gets very little of my business, they are over-priced and under-performing. The local roadies seem to love them :brow:

Ocassionally when I need a lot of parts I order from Jenson or Pricepoint, but that's a different story.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I have worked at a local shop for almost 2 years now. I am the first (well second) to admit that the shop isn't the best as far as everything business and ordering related, although we do have an EXTREMELY AMAZING mechanic and a couple good ones. I see all these threads about how horrible the LBS is bla bla bla, and sometimes the people are totally right and the LBS does totally suck.
That aside it seems like some people wont give the LBS a chance and hate them no matter what.

Yesterday I got a call at opening with a guys asking for a shimano es something or other BB, we had one in the BB drawer and I asked what size he needed. He responded with "there is only one size it's fine, thanks a Lot I'll be in shortly." I set aside the BB for the guy so I can find it when he comes in. The guy walks in, with a catalog from some mail order catalog (LBS people HATE mail order crap, there is nothing that will get you and attitude faster from an LBS employee than bringing in mail order crap) I ignore the catalog and ask him what I can help him with. He tells me that he is in for the BB. I go and grab it and go to ring it up and he looks at the price (40$) and pulls out his catalog and says that bla bla bla has it for 30$ and that, that is what he is willing to pay. I reply that the BB is 40$ and if he wants to pay 30 he will have to Wate and order it online, he started getting mad and trying to tell me that I am going to give it to him for 30. I simply told him that we are not a discounter and that if he wanted a discount price he would have to not be able to ride his bike right away and get it shipped. He finally said he would pay the 40$ after I put the BB on the counter he gives me an angry look and says, "This is the wrong size." I reply with "When I answered the phone you said the size was no an issue (I thought about telling him that he said it only came in 1 size like he did but that would have been directly calling him a lair and would have made him more mad) He proceeds to tell me I am a lair and go complain to my boss. (who is super cool and overheard the phone call) The guy left all pissed off and saying he would never come back.

Today a guy comes in
Me "what can I do for you today"
Him "do you guys carry trek"
Me "no we carry specialized and cannondale for the most part"
Him "you don't carry trek?"
Me "no, we carry specialized, cannondale, Santa Cruz, and seven"
Him "can you order me a trek"
Me "no, we are not a trek dealer"
Him "so you cant order me a trek, how come"
Me "because we are not a dealer"
Him (almost yelling) "You are providing me terrible service, thanks for wasting my time." and he stormed out
It just seems like there are some people who hate the LBS and there is nothing you can do to change that.

I love this, I see the Same cracp in Automotive Everyday, On my offdays i work at Redlands Cycelry and i see Exactly what you described, Man i Sooo wanna wear my Shirt That reads"" You can Either Agree with me, or be wrong""" when i am there.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
For idiot #1, I would have pointed to the phone number to the MO company on the catalog in his grimy paw. What a scumbag, bringing the catalog of a competitor into your store. I bet he pays close to $10 in shipping.
There is the thing to to right there, Point out that shipping is going to match or even raise the price. Great seller there, Also remember that the MO companies Buy out OEM stuff, not always teh same quality as what you have on your shelf.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Ordering a single bike from a smaler company (even SC isnt HUGE) especialy at EP usualy isnt TOO bad. But a company like, giant, specialized, trek and what not, you need to be a dealer
Its actually not that hard to order a Single bike from a Brand you dont normally carry, First step usually, like with Trek/Giant/KHS for Example, is to Call your Nearest Dealer and ask if they are ok with you selling a Single bike.....From there Call whomever your ordering from, let them knopw you talked to So and So shop and there cool with it, and who you talked to, Pay money, And wait for shipping. Most places wont go that far in the time needed to do all that, But if you have a return customer who does spend money with you on a normal basis, then it may be worth your time

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Its actually not that hard to order a Single bike from a Brand you dont normally carry, First step usually, like with Trek/Giant/KHS for Example, is to Call your Nearest Dealer and ask if they are ok with you selling a Single bike.....From there Call whomever your ordering from, let them knopw you talked to So and So shop and there cool with it, and who you talked to, Pay money, And wait for shipping. Most places wont go that far in the time needed to do all that, But if you have a return customer who does spend money with you on a normal basis, then it may be worth your time
What happens if the Trek/Giant dealer is a half block away from your shop? Will they be glad to help their direct competition?

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
What happens if the Trek/Giant dealer is a half block away from your shop? Will they be glad to help their direct competition?
I was a Trek dealer for about 10 years [also Specialized, Giant, Cannondale, Rocky Mountain, etc boutique].

They absolutely would not ship to a non-dealer. Period.

And imagine a competitor cheerfully sending a sale to the enemy. Nope. Never saw it.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
If that shop just down the road says you cant sell it, then your not getting shipped, If they are ok with it, youll get your single, Oh BTW i work for a Trek/Giant/Specialized Dealer. And i have sold a couple KHS's same way, KHS dealer is about four blocks up the road, But he was cool with me selling a single or two. We have also Allowed him a few as well

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
If that shop just down the road says you cant sell it, then your not getting shipped, If they are ok with it, youll get your single, Oh BTW i work for a Trek/Giant/Specialized Dealer. And i have sold a couple KHS's same way, KHS dealer is about four blocks up the road, But he was cool with me selling a single or two. We have also Allowed him a few as well
I used to be very open with other dealers in the town where I lived, but the one dealer that was nearly direct 1-to-1 competition for us was a total burke and that option was always negated between us.

As you say, if it's a cool dealer, then good things can happen. Most of the time, when we got something for someone at another shop, it was delivered to us [required by some 'agreements'] and the owner or manager of the other shop would swing by and pick it up. We'd shoot the breeze for a while, everyone was happy.

That was usually a special occasion, the other shop had a personal connection to the buyer [friend of the owner, employee, etc]

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
In this situation, all the talk about "peace of mind" and "quality service" is useless. The guy wanted a single, non-servicable part. One time deal. He also, effectively, wanted the LBS to pay his shipping for him on a product from a catalog. He is/was a retard.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
In this situation, all the talk about "peace of mind" and "quality service" is useless. The guy wanted a single, non-servicable part. One time deal. He also, effectively, wanted the LBS to pay his shipping for him on a product from a catalog. He is/was a retard.
Absolutly, I personally would have reminded him how much shipping is with stuff like that, Showing him that the price difference has to be covered somehow. I mean really, do you want the guy who expects you to drop your price to match Mail order as a customer???? Not me, Specially if they are already short enough in the head to forget about shipping costs.