Quantcast

should i build this frame?

el-cid

Chimp
Nov 4, 2004
Anaconda, MT, USA
Cool deal. My first bike was a GT RTS-3, same basic design. Man, I loved that bike; I might have to blow the dust off it and enjoy the sweet 2" of 1994 travel.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
F**king cool man. If the geo in the flesh matches the on-paper geo you listed, that should absolutely rock. My only real concern is that the main pivot looks a bit underbuilt, but otherwise, awesome effort man!

dirtdigger

Monkey
Mar 18, 2007
N.zud
F**king cool man. If the geo in the flesh matches the on-paper geo you listed, that should absolutely rock. My only real concern is that the main pivot looks a bit underbuilt, but otherwise, awesome effort man!
yeah i hear you man, i was going to run a brace from the pivot to the down tube but it looked a bit wrong in the way it went around the shock so put it in lower than what i wanted, i guess time will tell?
the load from the pivot pushes into the frame so yeah?
by the way i look at it is that distance from the swing arm pivot and cahin stay pivot is about half the lenth of the swing arm so the load at the pivot will be double whats at the hub, about 340kgs of load at the pivot from me 85kgs and a 4G gout .....blah blah....

and yes the chian dose rub the chain stay just a little in the last gear,
it dose make a nice ting, tingtttting sound comming down the track tho! haha

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have a question:

Do you find that the chainstay pivot is absolutely necessary? I remember the old Sunn's had a very similar setup, but the swingarm is triangulated, rather that split like that. I'm just curious, because it may add a little bit of stiffness if it's not.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
on second thought, you do need the lower link. The Sunn had a scissor linkage instead of the solid link. You could go either way. Great design.

dirtdigger

Monkey
Mar 18, 2007
N.zud
yeah i have been thinking of just letting it flex as it dose move bugger all untill the last bit of travel
maybe change the rocker setup to suite?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
what is with the crafty-ness of you new zealanders? i've seen so many cool homebuilt bikes (among other contraptions) come out of that country.

nice work, btw. specs & configuration are nearly spot on for my personal wish list. looks like a fun ride.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
clap clap! that's really good, how did it come in weights? and how is it holding up? did you use steel to build it? or was it Alu? what's inside your boxxers, cause it defenitly doesn't look like your typical boxxer, and last... have you thought about putting a bigger roller wheel on the frame in order for it not to rub on the last gear?

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
have you thought about putting a bigger roller wheel on the frame in order for it not to rub on the last gear?
While it sure is close, I think the problem was on the lower chain hitting the chainstay. (I could be wrong)

That said, a slightly larger idler cog would do a lot to help drivechain efficiency. Small cogs used like this gobble up efficiency.

dirtdigger

Monkey
Mar 18, 2007
N.zud
clap clap! that's really good, how did it come in weights? and how is it holding up? did you use steel to build it? or was it Alu? what's inside your boxxers, cause it defenitly doesn't look like your typical boxxer, and last... have you thought about putting a bigger roller wheel on the frame in order for it not to rub on the last gear?
the frame weight with idler and idler guide and with out shock is 9.25lbs, made from 4130n.

the fork is an 04 race with u-turn spring in one side and stratos id in other side.

and yeah will play around with idler size later on, had no idea what size to run so just took a stab in the dark , seems good as is

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Good work, If you fancy taking it further I bet with a bit of work you could shed a lot of weight and get it all tweaked to work even better.

darex

Chimp
Jun 3, 2007
There is no matter where you make your first idea of the frame. You can even draw it on the sand with you finger. But after that you have to draw it on a paper with all dimensions and consider where to put the pivots for the best performance. If the pivots are in an incidental places I don't think they are in the good places. IMHO even 1 mm make a difference if you are looking for the best performance. But the frames looks good and great job.

dirtdigger

Monkey
Mar 18, 2007
N.zud
haha i thought i was being quite innovative using a computer to help with my designs:monkeydance:

yeah i could make it lighter but not at the expense of stiffness.
if i had the resources and gear i could do much more to improve it thats for sure.
working on making some changes to the design, not too much tho just some tweeking.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
how is the lateral stiffness? does it flex? should bigger bearings hold more force? have you though about bushings? this is a sweet proyect, if they come out good, maybe you should make some!

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
That is awesome. What is the path of the rear wheel like as it goes through travel? Any brake jack? It also does look like you would have issues with the chain rubbing on the seatstay as it goes through travel, but overall it looks damn clean. :clapping:

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
wtf, you actually made it?! ROCK ON!! Honestly, I thought you were a joke because of the mspaint frame design. You are the man of the week!

dirtdigger

Monkey
Mar 18, 2007
N.zud
Good thing we never took a picture....:clue:

I can't wait.

Dirtdigger - any plans to get that thing out there? You obviously have some talent.
me? got talent? haha well i guess so.

yes i do have plans to get "that thing" out there.
just working on getting set up to make a limited number of frames.

i kinda knew when i started to build this frame it was going to be good, but it has come out really dam good, people are realy impressed when they see it,bikers and thoes non biker types as well.

dirtdigger

Monkey
Mar 18, 2007
N.zud
That is freakin' unbelievable!
How long did it take to build?
from when i had some kinda design to having someting to ride was 1 month.

i mitre the tubes by hand with a electric file (grinder), search on youtube you might find something?

i'm super stoked with peoples comments, thanks loads!