Quantcast

Shrinkflation Examples Thread

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
In terms of consumer goods.
I can’t be 100% sure, but my Milanos seemed awfully damn small tonight. (But I can’t find anything on teh googles)
Grumble.
Now I have to eat six of the fuckers, which messes up the packaging.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I can’t be 100% sure, but my Milanos seemed awfully damn small tonight. (But I can’t find anything on teh googles)
Grumble.
Those Pepperidge Farms mother fuckers. Making our cookies smaller. The Pepperidge Farms CEOS probably made Eleventy Billion dollars in compensation for us to have to suffer through smaller cookies.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I bought a snickers bar the other day out of sheer hunger. It was tiny and there's no king sized anymore. LOL I looked it up and the king size snickers started being phased out in 2004. Oops

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
That is actually held out now as a classic example/case study. Whatever happened to the ‘fat-fuck, bigger is better’ America that we loved?
FFS, just raise the prices.

in my case, when certain grocery items get too small, I quit buying them forever as well.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Jerry Seinfeld had an episode where Mr. Pip ate a Snickers bar with a knife and fork. I believe the whole premise was stolen from my mom. She ate her snickers bars with a knife and fork. Hagen Daz vanilla Ice cream also.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Grumble.
Not true as of a few years ago at least. Maybe an original vs double chocolate thing.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
The toilet paper I buy at Lidl use to be 8 rolles not its 6 and the price the same. I have to time my poops to when I am at the office now and limit my 4 ply experience to the special poops.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i paid 8.00 for a 32oz frozen hot chocolate from the human bean coffee place near me...basically a glorified chocolate shake...the br/dunkin place was all out of any flavor ice cream worth a fuck for a shake...

i had a brain freeze coma and it was worth it....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That is actually held out now as a classic example/case study. Whatever happened to the ‘fat-fuck, bigger is better’ America that we loved?
FFS, just raise the prices.

in my case, when certain grocery items get too small, I quit buying them forever as well.
We do more with less

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
As long as Golden Corral still exists and every other “buffet”, US citizens need not fear “tightening up the belt” resulting in a shorter belt.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
These dicks didn't even bother selling off or removing the old bottles before putting the new, smaller, ones up on the shelf.

ew, what's a ml? is that greek?

no but seriously...My favorite is v8 vfusion juice. When we had our daughter, we tried to drink exclusively 100% juice, and that seemed to be a great option, beyond even the juicy juices and such. It came in like 64 oz bottles or something like that. Then they raised the prices. Then they shrank it to like 54 oz. Now it's like 42oz and the same price...it's pretty wild. We don't buy it anymore because I can't support that...

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Ruffles chips, those neon orange ones that smell like ball sweat unless you are the one eating them.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Quaker granola bars. Used them on canoeteips years ago. Saw one recently, it had to be half the size.

Ice cream. Most went from 2 litres to 1.7 to 1.5 and the other day saw 1.3. Strange enough the price went the other way and got bigger.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
A lot / most farm products in N america (I assume that’s what you’re talking about - fresh fruits and veggies) are pretty much required to use a fairly strict chemical regimen in order to qualify for federally subsidized crop insurance and other support mechanisms.

So, although that chemical regimen is not strictly shrinkflation in terms of $/size of fresh veggies, it sure is shrinkflation in terms of the “ natural” nutrients you’re getting from them. The logic being that industrial-chemically farmed veggies and stuff don’t have quite the broad spectrum of nutrients that “micro-biome consciously farmed” (made that term up myself just now) produce does.

I am sure @sunringlerider will come along shortly and put me in my place on this topic…

I’ll sit over here in the corner with my tinfoil hat…

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yeah. Straight up inflation. No fuckery. No maths required. You know where you stand. I, for one, appreciate that simplicity.
So inflation, get fucked by a large expensive cucumber.

Shrinkflation, get fucked by an inadequate expensive cucumber.

Hmm. Choices!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
By the time one pays for cream, tomatoes etc you're at the cost of a normal jar.

But that's besides the point. The point is the outrageous price. :busted: