Quantcast

Shrinkflation Examples Thread

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Toblerone is pretty established. the pyramids went to triangles.
Does anyone remember Toblerone in darkish blue colored packaging? It was the normal Tob milk choc on the outside but had a white marzapan like filling, it was awesome compared to the normal one.

M&M's packs are depressingly small these days, I don't feel even close to sick if I eat a whole bag now.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
By the time one pays for cream, tomatoes etc you're at the cost of a normal jar.

But that's besides the point. The point is the outrageous price. :busted:
Whole canned san marzano tomatoes at Costco were $9 for a 3 pack last I got them. That'll make about 2 equivalent sized jars of homemade sauce.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Whole canned san marzano tomatoes at Costco were $9 for a 3 pack last I got them. That'll make about 2 equivalent sized jars of homemade sauce.
Those cans are $16 here. Keep in mind, that jar of sauce above is much smaller than the ones Costco sells.

But whether you can make something for cheaper at home vs pre-made isn't the point. :D

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
A lot / most farm products in N america (I assume that’s what you’re talking about - fresh fruits and veggies) are pretty much required to use a fairly strict chemical regimen in order to qualify for federally subsidized crop insurance and other support mechanisms.

So, although that chemical regimen is not strictly shrinkflation in terms of $/size of fresh veggies, it sure is shrinkflation in terms of the “ natural” nutrients you’re getting from them. The logic being that industrial-chemically farmed veggies and stuff don’t have quite the broad spectrum of nutrients that “micro-biome consciously farmed” (made that term up myself just now) produce does.

I am sure @sunringlerider will come along shortly and put me in my place on this topic…

I’ll sit over here in the corner with my tinfoil hat…
Most of that depends on the plan and added endorsements to your policy. Revenue protections and Margin Protection plans have a few more hoops to jump through. Area Protection plans are pretty simple and have no hoops. I cant speak to the regulations of veg and fruit though.
Although non-gmo and organic food is absolutely hilarious in my opinion. Just about all food plants that are grown commercially have been cross bred and modified at some point. I had a customer that was a very large organic wheat producer in Southern WY, they mulboard plowed 15,000 acres. They ran 6 500+hp tractors burning 4-500 gal of fuel a day. . . but yet organics are better?? Most wheat anymore is planted no-til with one herbicide pass.

Bayer, Corteva, and Syngenta control 90-95% of all of our plant food. . . put that under foil hat and think on it

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Most of that depends on the plan and added endorsements to your policy. Revenue protections and Margin Protection plans have a few more hoops to jump through. Area Protection plans are pretty simple and have no hoops. I cant speak to the regulations of veg and fruit though.
Although non-gmo and organic food is absolutely hilarious in my opinion. Just about all food plants that are grown commercially have been cross bred and modified at some point. I had a customer that was a very large organic wheat producer in Southern WY, they mulboard plowed 15,000 acres. They ran 6 500+hp tractors burning 4-500 gal of fuel a day. . . but yet organics are better?? Most wheat anymore is planted no-til with one herbicide pass.

Bayer, Corteva, and Syngenta control 90-95% of all of our plant food. . . put that under foil hat and think on it
If I tell you that I subscribe to Acres magazine, can we still be internet frens?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Less shrinkflation and more straight up price gouging. Saw 12 packs of good mass produced beer "On Sale" for $28 a 12 pack at the grocery store near the office. Thankfully I don't drink much beer anymore, well not as much as I used to.