Quantcast

Sighday

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Splines are often case hardened after getting are cut, so that may not be that easy. Actually where you want new splines may not be hardened so if they are just cut they may not be as strong as the normal splines.
I happened to be at the mill while he was attempting to chicken scratch the last couple of splines, was using a mild steel cutter rather than a carbide or ceramic and was using an auto table with a manual indexing wheel, and was making his adjustments with a sharpie. Even being heat treated chromoly the right tooling and index setup would have done the job in an hour tops. I am just going to chalk it up to an inexperienced machinist since the true machinists were busy on the CNC machines with internal boring and internal thread cutting on aircraft parts.

it was all just a attempt to get the jeep off the rack and moving while waiting for my custom shafts to be built

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Lunch break. Holy fuck me. Taxes are the bane of my existence. I was told yesterday that I could have a water with me, so I had some caffeinated water (I drink a lot of caffeine) with a no label bottle. Woman at the desk said no to any water, so I've had a headache, ADHD can't sit still shakes, and a lot of trouble keeping focus for the last 45min+. Currently drinking lots of water, but at risk of needing to pee during the test. Son of a bitch.

Going back in just before 11am, so I'll be out by 2pm.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Lunch break. Holy fuck me. Taxes are the bane of my existence. I was told yesterday that I could have a water with me, so I had some caffeinated water (I drink a lot of caffeine) with a no label bottle. Woman at the desk said no to any water, so I've had a headache, ADHD can't sit still shakes, and a lot of trouble keeping focus for the last 45min+. Currently drinking lots of water, but at risk of needing to pee during the test. Son of a bitch.

Going back in just before 11am, so I'll be out by 2pm.
Nose to the grindstone, Son!! :D

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

In for some OT because we overspent in Hawaii and I bought a bunch of bike parts for some way over due deferred bike maintenance. It's nice to have the option to pick up some easy 1.5x times monies but also I hate this place and I could have stayed in bed.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
:wave:

In for some OT because we overspent in Hawaii and I bought a bunch of bike parts for some way over due deferred bike maintenance. It's nice to have the option to pick up some easy 1.5x times monies but also I hate this place and I could have stayed in bed.
I feel ya. I'm in theory working 117 hours of overtime this month. it doesn't take me 117 hours to actually do this work, but this is probably 40 hours of true extra work. (from home, mostly at my own leisure in the evenings, but still work.)

I want to get back to a solid enough financial footing that I can turn back on my extra-retirement-account contributions. earn more, spend more. :D

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
If anyone is interested in neat civil-engineering nerdery, there is a "rapid bridge replacement" happening in my hood right now that's being live streamed here:

you can see the fully-built new bridge waiting to be rolled into place to the right of the screen.

They did the adjacent bridge last year, of which there is a timelapse:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Indeed, but the other option was dip into savings, and I'd rather not.
Sounds like you have an actual budget. What is this sorcery/adulting?

I am generally just a cheap fuck and spend fair bit less than I make with the occasional dumb expenditure where I avoid painful realities and don't look at my bank account for a few months.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Indeed, but the other option was dip into savings, and I'd rather not.
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion. :disgust:

I am generally just a cheap fuck and spend fair bit less than I make with the occasional dumb expenditure where I avoid painful realities and don't look at my bank account for a few months.
My "occasional dumb expenditure" tends to be college tuition payments. :mad:

This is the way.
:stupid:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If anyone is interested in neat civil-engineering nerdery, there is a "rapid bridge replacement" happening in my hood right now that's being live streamed here:

you can see the fully-built new bridge waiting to be rolled into place to the right of the screen.

They did the adjacent bridge last year, of which there is a timelapse:
I wonder why this isn't done more often around here?

On the 400 highway here, they are replacing all the bridges from basically Toronto to an hour north in Barrie.

Some of these bridges have been under construction for 2 or 3 years now. :think:

In Barrie, they just finished and reopened a bridge that they ripped out last spring. And now they've just taken down another bridge - it won't be done until next year. Like frig man, snails pace work here.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Afternoon Monkeys.

Vacation day, wife wanted breakfast. Decided not to drive to Rainier (our usual breakfast) and stay in town. It was a game of "21 reasons why we drive to Rainier for breakfast". Horrible service, horrible breakfast, still spent $38. Yeah economy.

Putting new carb on the wife's bike and changing the oil on mine in hopes to ride this weekend, likely Monday.