Votes: 21 23.1%

• Total voters

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
title says it all.
curious to what other use for DH and which brands

my stock Code pads wear out super fast, especially in muddy conditions.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I used to be all about sintered, but realizing how much less noisy the organics are on my old gen saints, I'm sold. I'm willing to replace more often for my bike to not make noise.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Sintered. Don't have noise problems on any of my brakes (old Saints, new Saints, Formula Ones) and they last longer.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I've only used sintered and continue to on my Formula The Ones. However, the Formula R1s on my AM bike came with organic pads and they seem to have great bite and feel. If they have a reasonable life I'll replace them with the same since they're super light with alloy backing. Neither squeals by the way.

eatmyshorts

Monkey
Jun 18, 2010
South OZ
sintered - my Elixirs came stock with organic?

I dont know if it is my weight but they are cooked by the end of longer runs..

Dont have the same issue with sintered

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Plus they suck balls in the wet.

Or at least they used to. I gave up on them years ago.
That was my previous experience (with Hayes a long time ago). I was stuck in my ways until I needed pads and organic was the only available on short notice for my saints. I'm around 200 w/ gear and they've been great in everything, including wet.

However, they are wearing out pretty darn fast.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That was my previous experience (with Hayes a long time ago). I was stuck in my ways until I needed pads and organic was the only available on short notice for my saints. I'm around 200 w/ gear and they've been great in everything, including wet.

However, they are wearing out pretty darn fast.
I meant shimanos.

I'm talking like 3 years ago when every single shimano brake from lx to saint was the same design with a different paint job. The organic pads for those things really were garbage in the wet.

The new ones might be better....like I said, I already swore them off.

Either way, my experience and what seems to be echoed in this thread is that they don't grip better, they wear faster, and metal pads don't make noise if your brakes are clean. I still see no reason to use them.

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
Using sintered pads right now in my 2011 Version codes, they had organic in them stock, and once EBC comes out with red pads for the 2011 codes I will gladly replace my pads every weekend (absolute **** pad wear) for the grip of those pads.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Semi-Metallic on my XT brakes. Seems to be working well for me so far. Good initial bite and no fade, even on ridiculously long steep Whistler descents from the Alpine.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I use both so I chose bacon. I run xtr organic in the front for better stopping power, and xtr metal in the rear since I've worn a set of organic pads almost through the metal backing on one day of muddy dh.

When you guys are talking about running both do you mean front/rear like I do or do you mean one on each side of each caliper? :confused:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Shimano 6 bolts.
I've been using Formulas on mine because I had them around, I did use a Shimano briefly on the front but I killed it, I was also in NY at the time and only used it a couple times in the wet. Maybe try different rotors if you have some around? I assume you do...

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
I use both so I chose bacon. I run xtr organic in the front for better stopping power, and xtr metal in the rear since I've worn a set of organic pads almost through the metal backing on one day of muddy dh.

When you guys are talking about running both do you mean front/rear like I do or do you mean one on each side of each caliper? :confused:
Yeah, yo! I do the same thing. It just makes so much sense. My front brake is super grabby and my back is not. Less skidding, More modulation and control. Win WIn

Craig Quik

Chimp
Apr 22, 2008
Scotland
Sounds like a good idea this organic in the front and sintered on the back one - will need to give it a try.

I use organic F&R just now but I don't seem to go through alot of pads. Maybe I hardly use em...

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I got about 10 months of riding out of my organic pads on my 4pot saints. I'm running 1 of each. Way quieter, and really good grip.

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
ya think there'd be something wrong with buying these cheap pads?
4 sets for $23.49 w/ $.99 shipping is pretty damn cheap

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Prs-8Pads-Formula-Mega-One-Disc-Brake-Pads-DH-/200553315592?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb1e8bd08#ht_644wt_905
I have been using pads from this place for a while. Great stuff!!! I use the sintered most of the time, great bite, quiet, long life. I also have the black ceramic DH compound and this compound will make any Hayes brake have ''Saint-like'' power!! If you are light on the brakes the ceramics will last, otherwise they are a one race weekend pad.:D