Quantcast

Skinnies and ladders in Olympia, WA

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
Hey there all,

Me and some friends have built a good, yet small, course of ladders and skinnies. We have a ramp (small kicker-just under 4') and a tranny, soon to have more. We have salvaged all the wood. We are all building skills and it is a great way to practice some hardcore riding. It ranges from beginner to intermediate. The biggest drop is six feet. We are located on the Westside in Olympia. If anyone is interested you can email me at pangeist@yahoo.com Thanks.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Don't be so negative...

Sounds great, I'll put that on my list after
The Shore
Whistler-Again
PA
The exits
SST again
Make another trail here at home
Cap Forest
Germany France Austria

So I'll see you in 2060!

bigshred

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Bellingham
ioscope said:
Sounds great, I'll put that on my list after
The Shore
Whistler-Again
PA
The exits
SST again
Make another trail here at home
Cap Forest
Germany France Austria

So I'll see you in 2060!

Dont forget Snakeonia up here in Bellingham!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Cool. Stuff in OLY is always good. I heard the stuff in cap forest off of #30 got tore down again.... no supprise there. I have 5 acres down here that one day will get stuff built on it... once my son is of riding age ill devote the time to it.

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
Yeah SOME of it is from pallets and the rest is old building supplies. What else is po mo fo like me going to build an 70 foot snaking shore style course out of? Why does it matter? It is alot of fun. AND beefy. 5-6 of us are riding it pretty consistently and it is great for building skills. Fall off get back up and keep on going. For really advanced shredders it would be boring. But if you want to hang and up the skills, come on over.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Sounds like some fun stuff, just make sure you are on your own property. I've got stuff in my woods at home. I post videos from time to time. It's great for skill building. But now we're running out of room because we want everything bigger ;) Anyway, I'll have to post some pics after the great reconstruction, as half of the stuff is getting torn down right now to rebuild it better and different. Make sure to use 3" nails in everyting that needs it, 2" nails come loose sometimes... For best results remember that triangles are your friend. Could you post some of the pictures on here? If you ever come up to bellingham let me know, I like to meet new people and show them around.

Jun 18, 2004
girlwhoboards said:
...for instance...when launching off of anything isn't there a point were you bunny hop to avoid a face plant? and if a bunny hop on a bike is anything like an ollie on a skateboard...i can do it but have a hard time with the concept of pulling it off right.
I sk8tted for 15 years... a bunny hop is closer to a regular back or front side air... an ollie is closer to a J-hop... PM me if you want me to ellaborate...

Jun 18, 2004
pangeist said:
....We are all building skills and it is a great way to practice some hardcore riding. It ranges from beginner to intermediate. The biggest drop is six feet. We are located on the Westside in Olympia. If anyone is interested you can email me at pangeist@yahoo.com Thanks.
I will email you if I can make it out there this comming week... thanks for letting us know about new entry-level skinnies...

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
yea the stuff up in Cap Forest was all chainsawed down, just as I was able to hit everything too

Hey I'm in Oly and I'd love to check out this new place... is it legal? I don't work tomorrow if it's not raining and you're down I'd love to come ride

I work a lot but am always down to build (this is for both you and Oly) Right now I'm desperate for somewhere local to keep practicing my tabletops

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
girlwhoboards said:
i'd like to learn how to build stuff to play on so if anyone needs help let me know. i'd also like to build skills with beginner/intermediate devices...anyone have any suggestions on what to use or want to session? i've found that parking lines and curbs or great to start with but kind of boring. the stuff i see in the woods are sometimes intimidating and i don't know all the tricks to pull things off...i hate being a wuss :(.

thanks,
-Kim
You're always welcome to come down to Oly and ride Cap forest with my friend and I.. We both started riding freeride together about a month ago and have really been pushing each other. We both each just hit the treedrop at SST thanks to some gnarly dudes who let us shadow them off of it.

p.s. I skated for 9 years, hucking is a whole new monster hehe

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
thesacrifice said:
yea the stuff up in Cap Forest was all chainsawed down, just as I was able to hit everything too

Hey I'm in Oly and I'd love to check out this new place... is it legal? I don't work tomorrow if it's not raining and you're down I'd love to come ride

I work a lot but am always down to build (this is for both you and Oly) Right now I'm desperate for somewhere local to keep practicing my tabletops
Theres no reason why you couldnt build a few good jumps in the forest. Just keep away from main trails and active roads. Depends on how much effort you wanted to put in. REally there plenty of old roads that are blocked off that could provide access to long forgotten areas.... I tend to have little time so i prefer to ride rather than build.....

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
Hey there,
My friend Ted and I share a lot on the Westside in Oly. Its in between our houses. His yard. We are both riding hardtails. Ted is a Unicycle trials guy. We have been scavenging lumber and building this course to up the skill level on our riding. There is a ramp and tranny and some raised ladders and skinnies to practice balance. Its a mini north shore setup. I want folks to hang out and pump each other up. We are right near Vics Pizza on the westside in OLY and ride alot of the time. There are currently 5-6 of us riding. All guys, so far. The course can be as easy or as hard as you make it. Its not a huge set up, but its good for practice and most who have ridden it come back for more, some see it and are intimidated by the stuff up off the ground. I am intermediate level, Ted is beginner and a few other guys are HARDCORE and make it look like nothing. Its a good mix. We want to build more stuff. A tabletop would be nice. A buddy who is leaving town just gave us a bunch of ladders he had up in his yard. We have a backlog of woodpiles people want us to come pick up........just need some more good weather. I will try and post some pics.....late

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
girlwhoboards said:
agreed and i'm not afraid of falling just would like to learn the tricks that make one a better riding...for instance...when launching off of anything isn't there a point were you bunny hop to avoid a face plant? and if a bunny hop on a bike is anything like an ollie on a skateboard...i can do it but have a hard time with the concept of pulling it off right. just think it's better to learn from someone (that way they can drag me to the car if i bite it too hard) then to be out there by myself.
-Kim
That's true, it's always good to follow someone around who's better than you and ask advice for particular things. Which way to lean here, how hard to pull up there, etc. And someone to help if you crash is a good idea.

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
oly said:
Theres no reason why you couldnt build a few good jumps in the forest. Just keep away from main trails and active roads. Depends on how much effort you wanted to put in. REally there plenty of old roads that are blocked off that could provide access to long forgotten areas.... I tend to have little time so i prefer to ride rather than build.....
Yea I don't have much time either but I'm so hooked on freeriding lately that Id be willing to sacrifice my ride time to get some nice stuff built up.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
girlwhoboards said:
agreed and i'm not afraid of falling just would like to learn the tricks that make one a better riding...for instance...when launching off of anything isn't there a point were you bunny hop to avoid a face plant? and if a bunny hop on a bike is anything like an ollie on a skateboard...i can do it but have a hard time with the concept of pulling it off right. just think it's better to learn from someone (that way they can drag me to the car if i bite it too hard) then to be out there by myself.
-Kim
There aren't many instances when you need to bunny hop off of anything that would be defined as a 'launch'. 99% of the drops, kickers, step-downs, step-ups, doubles, etc are hit by simply "pulling up" on the 'ol bars. The only difference is how much to pull up for each.

If you roll off a drop, you'll need to pull up a lot. If you hit it with speed, you don't need to pull up at all. No 'bunny hops' involved.

I haven't seen many riders that can do a decent bunny hop on freeride/downhill rigs. By the time they're at the apex of their hop, they've only taken the sag out of their shocks!

If you can roll off a curb, slowly, keeping your front in the air, and drop both tires at the same time, then you can do the same off a 6' ladder...it's just a mind game after you have the basic skill.

ps. I know this is over-simplified.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
glad to see new stuff going in for people to progress on...but keep in mind, when you build out of non-sustainable materials, they become futile and dangerous. of course, if you HAVE to use machined building materials, try and use non-treated materials? its better for the forest, and less likely to be damaged by weather over a shorter period of time.

stay clear of pallets!

id love to come check your stuff out! just need to find a time i can take off from tinkering around here to get down there.

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
This stuff isnt in the forest, its in a lot in a neighborhood, just so everyone knows. Its not clandestine forest scene. And whats not sustainable about recycling lumber?

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
pallets are quite maleable and I would ride around any stunt where pallet was used...I dont like to touch bridges unless the rungs are made from cedar - but thats me :)

pangeist - its just better building practice to not use anything treated...when it rains chemicals can run off the lumber and potentially damage soil around it. I have also seen that non-treated wood lasts longer in the elements than treated wood. You have to do less replacing and get more riding in :) But since you are not in the woods, this is less of a concern for environmental impact, but still keep in mind the wear/tear impact on treated vs non-treated.

cheers!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Ok, so go cut down some cedar trees so you can build them correct... :rolleyes: Unless youre lucky enough to be building on the shore i doubt you can really find any good cedar lying around.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
why is it crazy? isnt the whole idea behind creating a biking trail to create one that:

-impacts nature the least
-is sustainable with the least amount of used/wasted materials
-creates a safe but challenging experience for riders

using wood that is better for nature that lasts longer isnt crazy if it satisfies the basic precidents set for planning and building a trail... :)

...all about standards :)

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
thats not true...all of the exits have a plethora of cedar deadfall that one can use. thats how we are doing it. its actually quite easy to extract great runging cedar from fallen and rotten trees.

its actually harder to make rungs from freshly cut down cedar trees than it is from deadfall...

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
seand said:
why is it crazy? isnt the whole idea behind creating a biking trail to create one that:

-impacts nature the least
-is sustainable with the least amount of used/wasted materials
-creates a safe but challenging experience for riders

using wood that is better for nature that lasts longer isnt crazy if it satisfies the basic precidents set for planning and building a trail... :)

...all about standards :)
I think he means that your statement says that non treated wood lasts longer than treated wood. The point of the wood treatment is to create a material that lasts longer in water/elements. So really your statement doesnt make sence, Unless maybe you meant that people who feel that there cant be any non natural wood used in stunts feel obligated to tear it out, then yea, Non treated wood would last longer in the environment.....

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
seand said:
thats not true...all of the exits have a plethora of cedar deadfall that one can use. thats how we are doing it. its actually quite easy to extract great runging cedar from fallen and rotten trees.

its actually harder to make rungs from freshly cut down cedar trees than it is from deadfall...
But what about the insects that need that rotting tree as a home? And the birds that need those insects, and so on?

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
heh...shaddap :)

i said the least amount of impact...if we are going that far, nobody should be allowed in the woods...hikers and bikers are horrible for nature...actually, people in general are bad for the planet :) but whatever...

what urks me more than anything as far as building goes...when people do one, two or three of the following:
-cut down live trees instead of using deadfall for materials, or cut them down to clear a trail...
-nail into live trees
-cut the tree in half and use the part that is still in the ground as a support for a stunt...

bad bad building practices that look horrible on the biking community as a whole :)

*gets off soapbox*

anyways...

there was a study done a couple years back (the northshore alpine study) that put treated cedar up against non-treated cedar to see which was a more sustainable material on a trail up there...

the treated showed initial signs of lasting longer until the rainy and snowy seasons killed the chemicals on the wood...then the wood started to rot and crack faster because of the breakdown the chems caused to the core.

yeah the chemicals are supposed to help prevent wear/tear from the elements, but its for limited exposure.

on average, a highly used trail will need its rungs and stringers looked at and possibly replaced every 3ish years anyways, so the reality of it is, this doesnt matter; minus the seepage into the ground of the chemicals...but building standards dictate one should use what nature provides as materials...bringing wood into the forest to build is like bringing water to a river for kyaking :)

I am not disagreeing with your stunt building theories. But treated wood is treated to last longer inthe 'environment'. So your statement that untreated wood lasts longer is simply not true....that's all.

Raw cedar is one of the most durable woods for outdoor use....that's why everybody builds cedar fences, and is preferred for stunts...it last longer. My experience has been most treated wood is NOT cedar, I may be mistaken. I don't recall ever seeing 'treated cedar' at Home Depot, I'm not saying it doesn't exist, i just don't think it's very common. But, I'm certianly not an expert in the feild, so if I'm wrong please inform me.

[edit] Raw cedar may last longer than treated fir....if that's what you meant, I stand corrected. :)

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
home depot does sell treated cedar..it comes in LONG boards...the test was with treated cedar/fir vs raw cedar...no other materials....

i think oly has it best...downhill domination for everyone!!!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
When does DHD2 come out? I'd love to have another one with more and different courses.... after almost 2 years im about bored of the game..... it would be cool to have a course builder, and also maybe a freeride/stunt section that was slower and easier to control. They have stunts in the game, but there all devised to be raced down.....I usually just fall off......

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
bunnyhop and j-hop are the same thing, along with pro-hop, deer hop, dolphin, straight hop and flop hop. all are names to describe pulling the bike off the ground without the use of a ramp.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
oly said:
When does DHD2 come out? I'd love to have another one with more and different courses.... after almost 2 years im about bored of the game..... it would be cool to have a course builder, and also maybe a freeride/stunt section that was slower and easier to control. They have stunts in the game, but there all devised to be raced down.....I usually just fall off......

i course builder would be great! can you imagine how large people would make gaps? :)

the stunts, esp on mt schley, are way to hard to stay on at mach1 speeds...imagine if they released a complete mach-up of whistlers bike park? that would be awesome...race down a-line :)

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
seand said:
..imagine if they released a complete mach-up of whistlers bike park? that would be awesome...race down a-line :)
man, talk about perfect cross over marketing..... How bout a whole video game devoted to whistler. You have the riding aspects, but could also turn the village into a SIMS esque reality game...... This may get us through those tough winters when they dont open till June......

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
Holy cow ya'll, I just want some folks to come hang out and ride. As for "nature" and man's impact, most of what we ride in and see along the roads that we call "nature" is a construct of society and its need for timber. So anyway, if you're too good to ride on recycled materials then don't come over. For the rest of you, come hang and ride. I am sure we can learn a lot from each other. Thanks!!!!

Jun 18, 2004
pnj said:
bunnyhop and j-hop are the same thing, along with pro-hop, deer hop, dolphin, straight hop and flop hop. all are names to describe pulling the bike off the ground without the use of a ramp.
and I thought that the J-hop was when you loft the front wheel and then the pull up the rear... and the bunny hop was when you just pull both of them up at the same time... I thought that the bunny hop was something that lends its self to speed on a mtn bike and most everything under under the sun on a bmx... but what do I know anyway; silly me for listening to my trials buddys and everyone else this is come up in conversation with...