Quantcast

slickest of the steel garage dh frames ?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Those frames are also brazed together, not welded. I'd rather have a nicer looking, welded, $300 dollar frame.
Why? Because you're ignorant about the processes involved and since most frames are welded, then it must be better?

Brazing is arguably a better process. The reason production frames are welded is because its cheaper and faster. Brazing uses less heat and when done right, can have a very small HAZ. The fillet of the joint is larger and spreads the load over a greater area.

Tig can be done very well, but on 99% of the steel bikes I've seen, it isn't.

Honus

Monkey
Jun 6, 2006
Boulder, CO
Why? Because you're ignorant about the processes involved and since most frames are welded, then it must be better?

Brazing is arguably a better process. The reason production frames are welded is because its cheaper and faster. Brazing uses less heat and when done right, can have a very small HAZ. The fillet of the joint is larger and spreads the load over a greater area.

Tig can be done very well, but on 99% of the steel bikes I've seen, it isn't.
First let me say if that's your first fillet brazed frame on your blog that's very impressive work indeed. I fillet brazed my first frame over twenty years ago so I know what a learning curve it is. How do you like those Paragon dropouts- they look extremely nice! If you're going to make a lot more frames you might want to check out a gas fluxer.

I wouldn't say brazing is better, but I will say this- it's like eating dinner using fine china vs. a paper plate. The food is the same but somehow it seems to taste better when served on china. It's also hard to beat the looks of a nice fillet brazed steel bike but that's just the bike snob in me talking..

A good quality TIG weld will probably take just as long to do as a good quality brazed joint. A TIG welded joint will have a smaller HAZ and ultimately will probably be stronger. Having said that, I think brazed steel bikes ride better because the joint is more ductile. With big tires and long travel suspension this is definitely a lot less noticeable. With some suspension bike designs it can be difficult to fillet braze them due to the number/type of tube intersections and necessary clearances.

All joining methods are plenty strong and usually the tube will fail before the actual joint fails- assuming good quality workmanship.
I'm still riding a silver brazed lugged road bike that I made over ten years ago and I used to ride 15,000 miles a year so that bike has some miles on it.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
First let me say if that's your first fillet brazed frame on your blog that's very impressive work indeed. I fillet brazed my first frame over twenty years ago so I know what a learning curve it is. How do you like those Paragon dropouts- they look extremely nice! If you're going to make a lot more frames you might want to check out a gas fluxer.

I wouldn't say brazing is better, but I will say this- it's like eating dinner using fine china vs. a paper plate. The food is the same but somehow it seems to taste better when served on china. It's also hard to beat the looks of a nice fillet brazed steel bike but that's just the bike snob in me talking..

A good quality TIG weld will probably take just as long to do as a good quality brazed joint. A TIG welded joint will have a smaller HAZ and ultimately will probably be stronger. Having said that, I think brazed steel bikes ride better because the joint is more ductile. With big tires and long travel suspension this is definitely a lot less noticeable. With some suspension bike designs it can be difficult to fillet braze them due to the number/type of tube intersections and necessary clearances.

All joining methods are plenty strong and usually the tube will fail before the actual joint fails- assuming good quality workmanship.
I'm still riding a silver brazed lugged road bike that I made over ten years ago and I used to ride 15,000 miles a year so that bike has some miles on it.
I don't want to derail this thread so I'll keep it short. My point was that there is nothing that makes a tig welded bike inherently superior to a brazed bike. It's all in the skill of the builder. Harry Gary is one of the better fillet brazers.
Your point about time is correct only for the top 2% of welded steel frames. At that level, the 2 techniques are even.
Bballe was trying to say that because this frame was welded, it must be better than the brazed frame.
This is my first fillet brazed frame that I've done but I have quite a bit of framebuilding experience.

jake133

Monkey
Jan 21, 2005
SLC, Utah
I know this is beside the point of this thread, but take those primo pedals off before someone gets hurt! Those things are scary when it gets wet.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
There was a kid at sea otter on a realy sweet looking AL bike he made with his dad in the U.K. It has an 8 speed nexus geer box and a home made nitrogen shock. The thing was ****ing sweet. It had milyard racing stickers all over it but I couldnt find a website

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
There was a kid at sea otter on a realy sweet looking AL bike he made with his dad in the U.K. It has an 8 speed nexus geer box and a home made nitrogen shock. The thing was ****ing sweet. It had milyard racing stickers all over it but I couldnt find a website
ah i saw that one, there are pictures of it on some sites, very nice, although i cant picture that being any cheap to produce.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
maybe we should set him up with the negrito and have him fly a few over now that his bike sold he must have some space (ill send some kem over, fraser...) left over
Victor,

Like I said to you yesterday I will have plenty of room in my bags if I descided not to take the Passion home with me. I´m sure I could wear a couple layers of clothes on the plan to free up some extra space. You think the welder can have 4-5 built by May 2nd. Tell his wife to take a little vacation after that.
It´s funny. I even had a dream about this last night.

Sanjay

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Victor,

Like I said to you yesterday I will have plenty of room in my bags if I descided not to take the Passion home with me. I´m sure I could wear a couple layers of clothes on the plan to free up some extra space. You think the welder can have 4-5 built by May 2nd. Tell his wife to take a little vacation after that.
It´s funny. I even had a dream about this last night.

Sanjay
hey i was just talking to him and mentioned this and he said he would rush one out (he starts tacking today on the export models) so "el negrito" could take one with him, he'll be staying here in santiago over the holiday so it should be feasible to have one ready by wed, unclear if theres time to get it painted but if all it takes are a few (dozen) traffic violations, i guess we could manage that too.
so, is the passion up and running?

MXicon

Chimp
May 27, 2007
For $300 I'd buy one. I've always been a fan of steel, but that probably comes from BMX.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
Here are a couple pictures of the frame I brought back to the states with me. (It's now Flat Broke's) It had a raw front triangle with a black rear. I think it is getting painted.
It had a 1.5 headtube, took a 27.2mm post, 135mm rear wheel, and 73mm BB.
I wish I could have been able to bring a couple more of these back with me as shipping would have been free, but they had a couple finifhes that were allready sold.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
like sanjay said there is the regular QR dropouts and also 135/150 thru axle dropouts, they are of the bolt/nut type much like on an RMX or m3.

funny how many ppl are asking for raw, well the builder stopped by after being bored to death on the ring road here between his place and the paint place and i got pics of this the latest version with updated dropouts and also a ht he had made.

dont flame me for the picture quality!

dh front end, still with the jig for welding the shock mount on

detail of head tube area

iscg05 mounts

new rear end with disc mounts for 6" or 8" no adapter needed, not sure how useful but nice touch if you have to swap wheels or similar.

pain

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
Does any one have any more info on these? does the production model have a thru axle? How much is shipping from AUS (i think thats where it is. How long would it be before i can get one?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Does any one have any more info on these? does the production model have a thru axle? How much is shipping from AUS (i think thats where it is. How long would it be before i can get one?
send me a pm but for the record, thru axle in 12x135 and 12x150 is available, shipping is usually just under 100usd, and theyre available, might take a few days if you want options like onepointfive or thruaxle or special colors, but normally theyre ready to go within a week. shipping is from chile, as in narrow country where you are never further than 80 miles away from a huge snowcapped mountain.