Quantcast

slickest of the steel garage dh frames ?

juk_lano

Chimp
Jun 27, 2007
Just a thought.... but have you guys thought of adding a link up here to stabilize the top part of the rear triangle?

But I still love your bikes!

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Just a thought.... but have you guys thought of adding a link up here to stabilize the top part of the rear triangle?

But I still love your bikes!

hi, i actually told gustavo the guy who makes these frames something like what you mentioned when we met say 5 years ago and i was interviewing him for a magazine, he said he had looked into it but wasnt really convinced it was necessary, i thought that was nonsense at the time but 5 years on its pretty evident he was right all the time. maybe for some future ultra light design it could be an issue but with how stiff the current structure is (moreso in that area), theres no point in a link like that really.

juk_lano

Chimp
Jun 27, 2007
Thats cool I just found a pic Banshee's proto

I have to say Majin Bikes looks way better than this in my opinion. Looks like your friend made a great decision not to include the extra link. These Banshee guys are a little behind....I think they've got a spy!

The more I see other bikes the more I am impressed with Majin.

by-the-way when is this model comin' out?

^/\^I likey a LOT^/\^

gotboost

Chimp
Mar 15, 2007
hello vitox.
your pm folder is full.
What's the price for a frame with 150X12 dropout?
Is it possible to send it to Germany? Price?
Could it modded to mount a shock with 76mm stroke (9,5 X3)?
How much weight a Frame?
Thanks!!

noskcaj

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
Northford, CT
I really think simple, steel, inexpensive frames like this are just what DH needs. The main reason DH riding isnt more popular is that it is just so dang expensive. Trying to convince someone who has never spent more than 100 bucks on shoes for a sport to spend even a grand for a quality bicycle is extremely difficult. With frames like this and the Iron Horse Kumicho (sp), it is much easier to get into the sport and just ride for fun.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
hello vitox.
your pm folder is full.
What's the price for a frame with 150X12 dropout?
Is it possible to send it to Germany? Price?
Could it modded to mount a shock with 76mm stroke (9,5 X3)?
How much weight a Frame?
Thanks!!

guten tag!

i cleared out the pm's but you can email me at vheresmann at yahoo dot com

sending to germany wouldnt be a problem i think, to the US the shipping price is around 100usd, air shipping of course, and id assume its a little more to the eurozone, the frames cost 280euro and the 150mm option is around 10 more euro.

frames are actually meant to be fitted with a 241/76mm shock (9,5" / 3") but can also be used (bolting the shuttle further back) with 8,75" or 9" shocks (222/228mm)

frames are just over 11lbs i think.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
I really think simple, steel, inexpensive frames like this are just what DH needs. The main reason DH riding isnt more popular is that it is just so dang expensive. Trying to convince someone who has never spent more than 100 bucks on shoes for a sport to spend even a grand for a quality bicycle is extremely difficult. With frames like this and the Iron Horse Kumicho (sp), it is much easier to get into the sport and just ride for fun.

well thats exactly why these frames came out, gustavo started making them for himself and friends long time ago and they worked really well and lasted a long time (more than anything even 5 times the price) so the design got refined over and over and i think its had a huge impact on the scene here, you go to a race and youll see an army of kids abusing these things no end, theres even a handful of fabricators in other parts of the country that have made similar frames. in a country like ours, where enough family income to buy a regular dh bike is definitely not a given, whereas access to big mountain terrain always is, these bikes have made a huge difference in making the sport accesible to many many people, we have guys from europe and north america come over here and get a big surprise when they see how big the scene is and how fast the kids are.

juk_lano

Chimp
Jun 27, 2007
I'm considering sending my money in the next few days when I can get it together. The shock is 9x3.5 right? If so that is sweet!!!
I think you might have gotten your numbers switched up its

"frames are actually meant to be fitted with a 241/76mm shock (9,5" / 3") but can also be used (bolting the shuttle further back) with 8,75" or 9" shocks (222/228mm)" -vitox taken from 3 posts back

:busted:

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I think you might have gotten your numbers switched up its

"frames are actually meant to be fitted with a 241/76mm shock (9,5" / 3") but can also be used (bolting the shuttle further back) with 8,75" or 9" shocks (222/228mm)" -vitox taken from 3 posts back

:busted:
Why yes I did. 9.5x3. I will be ordering mine next week in white.

Vang_9tuzz

Chimp
May 26, 2007
Denmark
This is kind of inspiering!
A few guys I know and I are proberly going to build som sort of 4-bar/horst link design this winter, one of them is tired of the great ride it all bike has not been made in his eyes(he has been in mtb for 15 years),we are just starting to talk it through though and getting a welder in on the project, he's also a DH fanatic.
But the idea is a variable travel design 6-8", building it up around a totem 2 step+dhx air(8,75x2,5), we want a design like this because we live on a pancake, it's so awfully flat in denmark! So we want a god pedaling 6" bike at home and a monster when we are riding in the mountains else where in europe. Hope we get a result and it's good

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007

I may have read right past this bit but can some one give me the contact details for the people making these things? Thanks

cuasidh

Chimp
Aug 18, 2002
santiago, chile
wow, this post has amazed me...
everybody must have one of this ones, really cheap and nice (the last edition..)
they can be really abused for freeriding and are proved that they can do well on races (pedro ferreira, 2nd in last panamerican in argentina)..
The frame has allready pass like 5 years i think since the beginning of his first edition...
Chilean product, nice and cheap....and will work as fine as other frames for a more expensive price

TankerX

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
The best place Fo Sho
Here are a couple pictures of the frame I brought back to the states with me. (It's now Flat Broke's) It had a raw front triangle with a black rear. I think it is getting painted.
It had a 1.5 headtube, took a 27.2mm post, 135mm rear wheel, and 73mm BB.
I wish I could have been able to bring a couple more of these back with me as shipping would have been free, but they had a couple finifhes that were allready sold.

is this beast built up and running, pics????

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
here's a cell phone pic of gustavos bike, before anyone asks, shock is some tw, lockable so he uses that one for self propelled action days, roco otherwise. and ye, stickers got to go.
1.5 HT & 66 on this one looks neat i think.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
With a few small changes I would definitely buy that frame.

Do you think it would be possible to get a straight seat tube? How bout a floating post-mount for 203mm without adapter? Is head angle and BB height custom?

EB-Mitchell

Chimp
Jul 15, 2007
Vancouver
Hey Vitox,

I am curious about the theoretical top tube, do you guys find it A little short when you ride it?

How long is this top tube? how tall is the person who rides this?

I hope you can help,
Mitchell

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Hey Vitox,

I am curious about the theoretical top tube, do you guys find it A little short when you ride it?

How long is this top tube? how tall is the person who rides this?

I hope you can help,
Mitchell

mitchell, that frame is a one-off (maybe "two off" for a sponsored rider, he is probably around 168 to 170cm (5ft 5" to 5ft 6").

i couldnt say for sure how long the TT is on that one but ive ridden it and it feels shorter than the standard frame.

bryman1999

Chimp
Nov 20, 2005
BC
mitchell, that frame is a one-off (maybe "two off" for a sponsored rider, he is probably around 168 to 170cm (5ft 5" to 5ft 6").

i couldnt say for sure how long the TT is on that one but ive ridden it and it feels shorter than the standard frame.
Ok thanks, do you think that your friend could make a frame that has a little longer theoretical top tube? cause im around 5'9 / 5'10 and I think that a 22" ttt would be way to short cause the bike im riding has a 23.5" ttt, so could you ask the designer guy if he could make one with like a 22.75/23" top tube???

Mitchell

EB-Mitchell

Chimp
Jul 15, 2007
Vancouver
whoops I replyed on my brothers account :P

But also, is the standard geometry the same as in this picture?

I need to know because im probably going to be ordering one but I dont want it to feel short

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
What did he say? Is it possible?
yep its possible, it would be a slight surcharge for the custom work, i should have posted this before i guess but here is the current geometry sheet, this is how the frames that are being built since march are, like the unpainted one i posted a couple of pages back and the one sanjay (metal) posted.

210mm of rear travel with 9,5x3" shock
HT - 65º with a 570mm axle to crown fork
WB - 44.7"
CS - 16.8"
BB - 14.3"
Eff TT - 22.5"
Seat post dia. - 27.2mm
ISCG05 mount
11~11,5 lb weight.

as soon as i get the CAD ill post it too.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Sent you an email vitox...
hm cant see any, maybe send me your addy via PM.

jeenyus: weight figure is w/o shock, these frames are 2 to 2,5lbs heavier than the lightest bunch of frames around (your sundays, oranges, socoms and the likes), and 1 to 1,5 lbs heavier than the more standard weight frames (your glorys, judges, transitions etc) and on par weightwise with the heavier dh frames (say a trek) and a tad lighter than the heaviest top dollar frames (thinking 303, non gearbox nicolai, etc). while im not directly comparing them with top dollar bikes as thats not the point. point is, i think 5% of complete bike weight difference for a 1000usd saving while at the same time preserving pretty much the whole performance of a top dollar bike, is an interesting proposition. ie: not for everyone but very useful for many.

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Do you still wish to sell to me Vitox? I would still like one if you dont fancy selling any more.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
hm cant see any, maybe send me your addy via PM.

jeenyus: weight figure is w/o shock, these frames are 2 to 2,5lbs heavier than the lightest bunch of frames around (your sundays, oranges, socoms and the likes), and 1 to 1,5 lbs heavier than the more standard weight frames (your glorys, judges, transitions etc) and on par weightwise with the heavier dh frames (say a trek) and a tad lighter than the heaviest top dollar frames (thinking 303, non gearbox nicolai, etc). while im not directly comparing them with top dollar bikes as thats not the point. point is, i think 5% of complete bike weight difference for a 1000usd saving while at the same time preserving pretty much the whole performance of a top dollar bike, is an interesting proposition. ie: not for everyone but very useful for many.
i was just curious as to what the weight of the bike was. would have been a wee bit surprised if that weight had included shock. if i had any money available, this frame would most likely get it. pretty hard to say no to $300 for a dh frame.