Quantcast

Slopestyle / Jump features

G30RG3ryan

Monkey
Feb 24, 2002
Sparta, NJ
What kind of features do you guys think might be sweet for a slopestyle course? Jumps, Wallrides, Spines, On/Off Boxes, etc. I know what I would put in a course, but I am curious as to see what other people might want.

-GR

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
wallride combos (like a wallride that flattens out and turns into a drop onto tranny back into a jump onto a box...)

I think that would look neat! yes sir.

I

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
I'm not into the whole slopestyle scene...mainly because this area doesn't have a spot I know of, but whatever you guys decide on, incorporate a nice steep hip of some sort for me, I could hit them all day long.

bruiser2

Monkey
Apr 25, 2007
Pelham, NY
ok heres a line one after another.......

1. step up onto a box followed by a drop that is in between the size of phantom and road onto a steep tranny.

2. u then make a nice smooth double that could have tricks thrown on it with ease...

3. this goes into either a C shaped wallride (like a real C, not alpine wallrides), or a sattelite dish thing like u hit in sevenvision.

4. these would flow perfectly into a huge drop 2x the size of road at the end that everyone can watch..... THE END!

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
wallrides not walls that you ride into

picture something like the anthem drop but make it higher and at the end it curves down and that angle with right speed will drop you into a smooth transition so you arent hucking or jumping at the end you just flow into it.

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
i like pictures, so stealing a link from over on nsmb.com...

http://www.robcole.co.uk/trail_building.htm
specifically:

Reminds me of that GregWatts/McCaul vid of that stepup they built only with a drop off the end. I would probably make the first drop have a little kicker on the end, for a little more air.

I also think a nice big 10ish foot quarter at the end would be sweet. Extra points if there was a 4-5 foot extension on top. I'm all for more trick opportunities and options in the course that allows for more creative lines.

And the stuff I wouldn't want to see:
1. Curved wallride. Sure it is pretty big, but how many different ways can you watch riders ride from one side to the other?
2. Teeter totter. With the exception of using it as a giant kicker *coughjamiefordcough*, again its kind of a one trick pony.

Use as much of the natural terrain too! I really liked the Crankworx Colorado course.

Feb 7, 2007
Vernon, New Jersey
Great feedback so far guys..Keep it coming!

George and I, and a few others, have been discussing at length the type of features we will be adding this summer. We have preliminary plans in place, however, this extra feedback is definately valuable and will be considered!

One of our main objectives (not the only one) is to build features that will please the masses. Features that are fairly easy to "navigate", however, features that are very trickable if you have the skill. Our ParkLogic Crew will utilize nearly 20 years of collective jib design/building experience to construct these new features with workmanship, quality, durability and design that has yet to be introduced to freestyle mountain biking. Features will be created with pro-rider involvement including a line of George Ryan signature features in the works! These new features will find their way into the existing Diablo layout in addition to some new mountain sections as well.

While we are excited to bring these new features to Diablo, we want our riders not to expect a full-blown, top-to-bottom "slopestyle" course, but more of a slopestyle 'influence' on certain trails with the addition of a separate slopestyle "area". Not to worry, this whole concept is very well thought out and will not sacrifice the flow of existing trails and in many ways will be innovative. Promise!

If you aren't into slopestyle features, not to worry! There is also plans in place for pure, natural DH trails, new race courses and many other unique ideas. As we've said in the past, this will be our largest single-season trail improvement effort to date. In addition to these new features, expect new innovative events, coaching programs, a new store mid-summer, Freelap timing on up to 50% of our trails and lets not forget IndyCross!! Just the mere mention of IndyCross puts a grimace on our face as we know you'll be stoked! We're not releasing the details yet, but to dispel the rampant rumours, IndyCross is not super-d, its not XC, its not speed trials and its not something you'll soon forget once you ride it!

All these additions are alot of work, so please don't anticipate all of these improvements completed for opening day, however, its safe to say that opening day 2008 will be a day to remember and Diablo is the place to be on May 3rd! The ParkLogic Crew at Diablo will be working double-time this season and a full-summer of trail improvements await!

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Big doubles.
Long gap jumps.
Jump-on ladder drops.
Jump-on wallrides.
Huge step-up (Asylum!)

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Nice... so will see see a few changes on opening day?? I cannot wait....

I think Deliverance/Evil Bob should be revamped as it's a barely hit trail, maybe some north shore stuff down there?

Has work already started on the new stuff? Just Curious..... :-)

:banana:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Anyways... I'll try to give some constructive input.

One thing that would be awesome would be a berm to berm jump, instead of hitting the turns, you could just jump them. That would be insane.

Ok, a spine would be sweet, but hard to jump on a DH bike, I can do them on my hardtail, but I can see it being hard on a DH.

Also, as you probably have thought of, the bigger stuff you make, the less you have to repair it, but the park will still be renouned for what it has. You will have to repair the bigger stuff less because less people will ride it (big kickers, ladder jumps, wall rides, etc...).

A wall ride like this would be a hit for sure:
http://www.rip.tv/video/view/730/Biker-misses-bridge

I don't know if you have anything like this, but a big hip would also be fun.

Again, with the big/small things, some option jumps would be awesome. Like a jump, you would have plently of room to get speed, and you could hit the jump straight on, or jump a little diagonally and take the big option.

At 3:41 there's a pretty cool obstacle. Very simple.

Perhaps you could implement a drop, where you could land going straight down, or you could go bigger and jump like 10 feet out and have a transfer.

Here's a good example of a modest slopestyle course, but it would still probably bring in a larger crowd.

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
Anyways... I'll try to give some constructive input.

One thing that would be awesome would be a berm to berm jump, instead of hitting the turns, you could just jump them. That would be insane.
Exactly, I had mentioned this last year which I think would be a pretty sweet feature as well. I had seen it done in Hypnosis by Mick Hannah. It was at Diablo during the 2005 USOPEN on Alpine where the wallrides are now.

Mar 19, 2007
Somers, NY
i thinkk they should build a Razor scooter slopestyle course!...george and arron can build some sick mini ramps and hips!
HTML:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJf9ZXvkwuw

Mtblucaso

Chimp
Nov 25, 2007
would love to see a jump on to a table and a big drop off of that table and bigger drops like the stuff in the bone yard at whistler =] ( i like what bruiser2 said)

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
joey thinks that there should just be a dj park with a drop in the beginning to make it slopestyle, then maybe step down to step up and a cinder block with boards on it

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
wallrides not walls that you ride into

picture something like the anthem drop but make it higher and at the end it curves down and that angle with right speed will drop you into a smooth transition so you arent hucking or jumping at the end you just flow into it.
:thumb: what that guy said

along with having a drop as the 'roll in' if the course will start with some DJ lines, i like hitting a smaller drop to tranny to get my speed rather than a roll in, just makes it more fun and gets you up to speed pretty quick...

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
yea definitely a speed gap to downhill pump which tranny's into a steep hip, that you boost the crap out of, then a floater jump, tombstone lips all after for a couple more times, two berm options, one to satellite dish or other to step up box which leads to bigger line. after the satellite dish, a spine to quarter then step down to step up. all needs to go downhill.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
you will only become a better rider from the spots where people skid and the trail gets rougher, on rocky trails they should encourage skidding makes some lines smoother, but others can turn into ****.

Polish Rambo

Chimp
Aug 3, 2007
skidding is never encouraged and is never beneficial to the trail. when you skid, you are not getting the most possible traction from your tires, and if you are skidding on rocks, you are destroying your tires