Quantcast

Small rant

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
For the last couple of years I had dabbled in road racing from time to time when there wasnt a MTB race. Got onto a serious road team late last year and couldn't be happier. I have, much to my surprise , progressed much faster than I could have hoped as I have been doing some serious training. I also knew if I was goin to get serious I needed to shed some weight. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't big by any means but 178 @ 6ft 1 is big by roadie standards. No need packin extra weight with ya eh? I knew the cheeseburgers had to go. Only problem is the "cuttin back" approach doesnt work with me. So six months ago I gave up red meat and chicken( saw a special on tv about the steroids and what not they give chickens kinda freaked me out) . So I decided to be a fish-a-tarian. I told some close friends, family and my team mates so I would have some support and be held accountable.Everything has gone well as I am down to 160 and still putting out the watts I was at 178 .
I never bring up the fact I am a fishatarian but do tell if I am asked. I never tell people how bad red meat is or anything but, when people find out they seem to have nooo problem tellin me how stupid it is not to eat meat. I just don't get why it would bother someone if I chose not to eat red meat. If I am at dinner and pass on the tapioca puddin nobody says anything:disgust: , but pass on the steak and oh boy.
I guess there is no real point to this post other than to just vent alittle.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Search for the vegan thread in the PAWN forum... it happens to a lot of us.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180298

And FYI - you gotta watch out for heavy metals and other pollutants if you eat a lot of fish. Occasional fish is cool – but if it is your main source… watch it.

Scary things that I have found while going vegan for about a year (travel too much now to be able to pull it off anymore so I am just a vegetarian now) is that a lot of the food you think is better, is just as bad.

Look at the E-coli outbreaks on spinach etc. The mass produced vegetables are grown in the fertilizer they got from the rioded up cows, then they spray them down with chemicals to keep off the bugs. Not to mention the ones that they genetically alter…

Better option is to just do only organics - including meats for all you carnivores out there!

It’s pretty F’ing scary what we are doing to ourselves so that someone can make a higher profit margin…

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I agree. I tried doing the vegetarian thing for over a month and got endless crap for it from lots of people. It's weird how little respect you get for doing something just a little differently from the norm. I noticed bumper stickers and advertisements making fun of vegetarians, and it seems like a very strange scapegoat to me. "Save a cow, eat a vegetarian" sticks out.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well, as for the meat thing...I would say most people just really like the taste of meat, and will try to rationalize what they can to themselves and others that it should be part of the diet. People tend to want to trivialize the convictions of others as well because they have no convictions of their own and cant really relate. I used to berate people for being vegan (Sorry BMXman) but now I guess I see it for what it is. A perfectly logical choice of diet. Dont think I'll be converting, but to each his own.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I love vegetarians because it means more meat for me. I could give a damn what anyone else eats.

Meat is yummy.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I never bring up the fact I am a fishatarian but do tell if I am asked.
good rant, the only time I've ever hassled anyone about eating habits are when they won't fess up to being fishatarians, but just "vegetarians who eat fish" That is NOT being a vegetarian! Thank you for being honest.

gg

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I finally understand all the "veg-eater" rant threads and posts lately...

It's BBQ Season!

hell yeah.

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
Jim Gafigan does a bit on sort of the same thing about how people always question people who don't drink alcohol but never question those who don't eat mayo

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I think some of the static directed at vegetarians is due to the small minority of veg/vegan people that get all preachy towards meat eaters. Personally, I can see health benefits and drawbacks of most diets and would put my money on a balanced diet including diverse veggies and protein sources being the best...again, my opinion.

My favorite is when I'm told humans aren't "meant" to eat meat....look at your teeth buddy...my mouth isn't full of molars for a reason.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I always make sure I have a non-meat option when I have a bunch of people over for a cookout. Salmon burgers are the latest option currently sitting in our freezer.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
I always make sure I have a non-meat option when I have a bunch of people over for a cookout. Salmon burgers are the latest option currently sitting in our freezer.
we had a sales meeting one Monday that ran stupidly long. The boss at some point ordered lunch since we had been in there since 7am. He ordered meat lovers pizza :poster_oops: By this point i was starving so i tried to pull the meat off the pizza but it was adhered to the cheese so i was left with ketchup on toast :disgust:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Fish is still flesh. Your friends must be the " I am a vegetarian but I eat fish" kind of non-vegetarians.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Jim Gafigan does a bit on sort of the same thing about how people always question people who don't drink alcohol but never question those who don't eat mayo
actually, I have had people give me funny looks or ask me how I couldn't like mayo.

It's like eating liposuction juice.
(don't ask me how I know that)

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
hey T.J.
next time you're around, look me up.
i'll take ya to hardees and you can watch me slam a monster thick burger. :):)

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I hate both sides of this extreme.
I hate the whiny douche who is yelling at the steak eater telling him how bad it is for him.
And I hate the bloated windbag who is telling the veggie eater to be a man.
I want to explode both of their heads for giving a damn what somebody else is eating.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I hate both sides of this extreme.
I hate the whiny douche who is yelling at the steak eater telling him how bad it is for him.
And I hate the bloated windbag who is telling the veggie eater to be a man.
I want to explode both of their heads for giving a damn what somebody else is eating.
as you suck down a Double Chili Cheese-A-Plenty

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It's true that some vegetarians, vegans, etc., can get too preachy, but most people who give anyone crap for a food preference are just overcompensating for their own guilt or ignorance. I still eat meat but as long as you're not preaching to me about it I don't really care what you eat.

People should be able to draw whatever line they want.

Although, I do have nightmares in which I can hear the broccoli and wheat grass screaming right around harvest time...

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
I have to poo everytime I see those commercials. But they look soooo tasty.

i've never tried one either.
but damn.
the photos on the billboards that are strategically placed just a mile or so from place as you're driving along, make you drool. :drool: